Burmese-Thai Teak wood furniture st (r)

Subject: Re: Burmese-Thai Teak wood furniture store- Washington, D.C.

>From: David Wolfberg <freebrma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: Burmese-Thai Teak wood furniture store- Washington, D.C.
>
>Aaron Bros. Art Marts is a large chain store known for its sales on art &
>poster frames.  During a stop there yesterday, we discovered teak frames
>"from Thailand."
>
>Marketers of Thai teak can no longer avoid the connection to rainforest
>destruction and support of Burma's SLORC.  Logging was banned in Thailand in
>1988, but to keep the wood products industry thriving, they buy from Burma.
>
>Hurrah to the Wisconsin Avenue Burma Action Group, where ever you are!  Find
>that store!

******** Very fine rabble rousing rhetoric!! I applaud your energy but we
are now living in the 'accessible' information age,it might be beneficial
to acquire some, prior to igniting some  poor zealot's ass alight.

I have a small farm close to the Thai/Burmese border and prior to a few
years ago watched convoy after convoy of logging trucks leave the Karen
and Tai Yai (Shan) controlled areas within Burma.The Thai logging
companies HAD a policy of paying whoever controlled the teak .I believe
it was this lost revenue that was going to the various Ethnic Groups, that
prompted SLORC to step up attacks on those territories.Are you SURE
that the proceeds from the teak in that furniture did not HELP the struggle
for independence??

You also may find that many teak dealers say their teak comes from Burma,
when in fact it comes from Indonesia ,Malayasia,Cambodia or Vietnam. Burmese
teak is superior and most folks are not able to differentiate.