Burma Presentation at Cornell

On March 7, 1996, Shwe Htee (8.8.88), a Burmese student activist, made a
presentation on the current political situation in Burma at the
International Living Center in Cornell University.  Co-sponsored by
Cornell's Amnesty International group, the presentation highlighted issues
of human rights, the refugees, and displacement of ethnic groups in Burma.
The presentation begin with the a video showing of "The Burma Deception"
followed by a question-and answer-period.

Shwe Htee (8.8.88) and I are also working on Amnesty International's
Committee on Burma.  We have focused on three major activities:  an intense
letter writing campaign to free Burmese students jailed in Burma,
especially, Min Ko Naing, Aung Kyaw Myint, and Saw Sanda Nwe, an "Unchain
Burma" event in which students make paper chains and send them to the
embassy of Burma, and a petition campaign urging United States Senators and
Representatives to support the Freedom and Democracy Act of Burma pending
in Congress.

We want to mobilize the Cornell and Ithaca community about the situation in
Burma.  If you have any suggestions for us to do so, please do not hesitate
to e-mail us.

Keep up hope for a free Burma!

Shwe Htee (8.8.88)

Nancy Kok