International Rivers Network materi

Subject: International Rivers Network materials relevant to Burma

--=====================_827717446==_

The threat of the Salween dams is still very real.  The role of the World
Bank remains mysterious and worrisome.  Some of these publications might be
relevant to Burma.

--=====================_827717446==_

Available from INTERNATIONAL RIVERS NETWORK

Regular Publications

*  BankCheck Quarterly takes a critical look at the projects
and policies of the World Bank, and reports on the
international efforts to reform it.  Subscription rates: $25 for
individuals and NGOs, $50 for institutions and $15 for limited
income, students and seniors).  Back issues: $5 each.

*  Riverworks, a directory of non-governmental organizations
and experts working on river and watershed issues around the
world. $20

Reports

Damming the Rivers: World Bank Lending for Large Dams,
by Leonard Sklar & Patrick McCully. 1994, 89 pp. $20

Lessons Unlearned: Damming the Mekong River, by Steve
Rothert, 2995, 70 p-ages $15

Videos

Large Dams, False Promises, writer and producer, David
Phinney, executive producer, Andrea Torrice.  33 minutes,
$35.  Features the stories of three dams; Sardar Sarovar
(India), Three Gorges (China) and Balbina (Brazil).  The
stories illustrate the destruction that large dams are causing to
ecosystems and riverine communities worldwide.

On the Internet:

World Wide Web.  International Rivers Network has
established its web site: Look up news and information on IRN
campaigns at http://www.irn.org

IRN was formed in 1986 by a group of hydrologists, engineers
and environmentalists to address a common concern: the
worldwide prevalence of unsound, destructive freshwater
management projects.  We devote much of our organizational
resources to stopping the construction of large dams and
promoting viable alternatives.  Our work is intended to reflect
the environmental and human rights implications of river
development in an effort to redirect the practices of
international finance institutions, commercial financiers and
the dam-building industry.

To order publications (or to join), contact : International
Rivers Network, 1847 Berkeley Way, Berkeley, CA 94703
USA