Thai send Burmese refugees back to

Subject: Thai send Burmese refugees back to danger zone.

	THAI send Burmese refugees back to danger zone

	Karenni refugees who fled into Thailand to escape troops of the
	Burmese State Law and Restoration Council (SLORC) have been
	ordered back to border areas where fighting has raged recently.

	Thai security officials ordered about 2000 Karenni refugees, most
	of them women and children, to move from a camp seven kilometres
	inside Thailand to a new site close to Burmese army positions.

	General Aung Myat, the commander of Karenni guerrillas who have
	been fighting for independence since 1948, siad Burmese troops last
	week demanded to search Karenni refugee camps in Thailand and
	threatened to shell them.

	The commander speculated that Rangoon had asked Bangkok to put
	pressure on the Karenni refugees. "The pressure came right after Thai
	delegates returned from Rangoon. "I only hope that Thailand, which is a
	democratic country, will not eventually send the refugees back to Burma
	where there is no democracy.

	General Aung Myat said his fighters would continue their war
	against the Rangoon Government despite the loss of their hilltop
	positions in recent fightind. "Military speaking it is true, we have
	lost all our positions," he said at his jungle hide-out near the Thai
	border.

	"But our soldiers are very brave and we will continue to fight
	the SLORC army with guerrilla-warfare tactics."

	The 48-year-old guerrilla commander said his men lost 12 hilltop
	positions to Government troops during three months of fighting.

	He said about 500 Government soldiers were killed or wounded in the
	fighting while the losses in his rebel army, which he said was
	2000 strong, were minimal.

	"Karenni soldiers are very brave and have a lot of experience in
	guerrilla warfare. We fight only when we think we will win,
	that's the reason why we lost very few soldiers."

	A ceasefire agreed last year by the SLORC and the Karenni nationalist
	guerrillas collapsed when Goverment forces moved into their small
	zone between the Salween river and the Thai border.

	General Aung Myat said the gueerillas had tried to restore the
	truce but their attempts had been ignored by the junta.

	(By SUTIN WANNABOVORN, Burma, Thursday)
	[Reuter]

	Typed by M Aye.