BurmaNet News April 14, 1996 #383

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 18:43:16 -0700 (PDT)

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: April 14, 1996
Issue #383

Noted in Passing:

		We can draw a relationship between our behaviour
		here at Penn State and a situation on the other side of
		the world. - Andrew Miller, a Penn State student,
		commenting on kicking Pepsi off campus because of
		Pepsi's investment in Burma
		(see NATION: MORE US CAMPUSES SIGN ON TO
		BURMA BOYCOTT)

HEADLINES:
==========
NATION: MORE US CAMPUSES SIGN ON TO BURMA BOYCOTT
SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST: BURMA: REPRESSION GROWING,
KATHMANDU POST: BURMESE ASK FOREIGNERS NOT TO VISIT
NCGUB: FORUM FOR DEMOCRACY AND HUMAN RIGHTS
SEAS PRESS RELEASE: BURMA VICTORY AT STANFORD
THE DAILY NORTHWESTERN: STUDENTS CALL FOR NU TO BACK OUT
THE STRAITS TIMES: ASEAN OFFICIALS TO PROPOSE ARF
ANNOUNCEMENT: MYANMAR OPEN FOR BUSINESS CONFERENCE
BURMANET: BRIEF BUSINESS REPORTS
WWW: A HUMAN RIGHTS EXHIBITION ON WWW
ISBDA: NEW & NLD VIDEOTAPES AVAILABLE

NATION: MORE US CAMPUSES SIGN ON TO BURMA BOYCOTT
April 12, 1996

(note: based on AP article from April 8th)

WASHINGTON - From Harvard to Virginia Tech to the University of
Washington, students are avoiding Unocal gas stations and PepsiCo
Inc. products, including Pizza Hut, Taco Bell and KFC restaurants
and Doritos and Lays chips.

College students have pressured Harvard University to scrap a
million-dollar deal with PepsiCo Inc. because the firm does
business in military-ruled Burma, activists said.

In a modest victory for Burma's US based critics, Harvard
abandoned plans to switch from Coca-Cola to Pepsi in university
dining halls after students protested PepsiCo's presence in the
Southeast Asian country, they said.

"This is a wonderful development," said Simon Billenness, senior
analyst at Boston-based Franklin Research and Development Corp.
and outspoken critic of the ruling junta in Rangoon.

Harvard scrapped plans to transfer a five-year, US$200,000 (Bt5
million) a year contract to Pepsi after students objected, said
Billenness, whose firm manages a $500 million portfolio for
clients who favour "socially responsible" investment.

"Having this at Harvard is tremendous because Harvard is so visible
worldwide," Billenness said by telephone from Boston. "Harvard
dumping Pepsi proved that Burma is now the South Africa of the 1990s."

Stanford University, another firstrate US campus located in
northern California, is also expected to announce soon that it will not
allow Taco Bell, a franchise owned by PepsiCo, to set up shop on campus.

Human rights groups, the United Nations and some Western
governments have accused Burma of gross human rights violations,
including arbitrary detention and torture of prisoners and
brutality by the military against the country's ethnic minority groups.

Many of Burma's military leaders headed a bloody crackdown on a
prodemocracy uprising in 1988 which was led by 1991 Nobel Peace
Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi.

Refugees who have fled to Thailand report that the military is
forcing civilians, especially ethnic minorities, to work for
pennies a day on government projects.

A PepsiCo spokeswoman, Elaine Franklin, said Pepsi earned about
eight million dollars in profits from its Burma operations last
year, out of $30.4 billion overall.

"We don't support tyranny or dictatorship," Franklin said by
telephone from the company's headquarters in Purchase, New York.
"We have a joint venture with a private entrepreneur in Burma,
and we're not connected with the government." ,

PepsiCo employs about 300 local staff in Burma, Franklin said,
and tries to provide benefits and corporate sponsorships.

Pepsi, whose subsidiaries include Taco Bell, Kentucky Fried
Chicken, and Pizza Hut, believes its presence in Burma will over
the long term benefit the Burmese people, she said.

"It's not like we're asking people to stop drinking soda," said
Zar Ni, a graduate student at the University of Wisconsin who
fled Burma in 1988, when the current junta seized power and
killed several thousands of prodemocracy protesters.

"There are a zillion alternatives in this country."

A similar campaign was waged against companies who invested in
South Africa before apartheid was lifted.

"What finally killed apartheid was selective purchasing," said
Douglas Steele, a Georgetown law student. "It became more
profitable for companies to do business in this country than to
do business in South Africa."

Many companies have already bowed to pressure and abandoned
Burma, including Amoco, Levi Strauss, Liz Claiborne, Eddie Bauer
and Reebok International.

Students at Penn State have taken a dig at Pepsi's own slogan
with a banner that on campus reading: "Pepsi/ The Choice of a New Genocide."

"We can draw a relationship between our behaviour here at Penn
State and a situation on the other side of the world," said
Andrew Miller, a Penn State senior majoring in political science.

Despite the human-rights violations,  Miller knows that Penn
State would never break its exclusive $14 million contract with
Pepsi to support democracy in Burma. Pepsi provides all soft
drinks at university events, dining halls and in vending machines.

"We're not asking for Penn State to break its contract or sell
its Pepsi -stock," he said.

"What we're asking Penn State to do is come out with a statement
against investment in Burma and use its stock in Pepsi to support
a share holders' resolution for a human rights code of conduct."

That resolution, which would force the company to take
human-rights violations into consideration when investing in a
country, will be voted on during a stockholders meeting on May 1.

Daniel Sieminski, Penn State's director for finance and business,
said the school has not taken a position on Pepsi's investment in
Burma and has not decided how to vote at the share-holders meeting.

The federal legislation, currently pending in both the House and
Senate, would ban US trade with, travel to, and investment in Burma.

Two California cities, Oakland and San Francisco, are due to hold
hearings on selective purchasing bills Tuesday, according to Burmese dissidents.

SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST: BURMA: REPRESSION GROWING,
SAYS TOP DISSIDENT
April 9, 1996
from dvb@xxxxx
by WILLIAM BARNES in Bangkok

Opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi said the ruling military junta was as
incompetent as ever and even more repressive nine months after her release
from house arrest.

She and the other members of the democracy movement were habitually
harassed, despite the regime's claims that it would soon introduce
multi-party democracy.

"If anything the problems are increasing because the more the Government is
aware of its unpopularity with the people, the more they try to crush us,"
she said.

Ms Aung San Suu Kyi revealed that her husband, English academic Michael
Aris, could not obtain a visa to visit her last month, and that she has been
prevented from travelling outside the capital at least twice in recent months.
Most recently, while trying to travel to Mandalay to support artists facing
trial for the content of a comedy performance at her home, her train
developed "mechanical problems".

"If they are trying to hamper my movements it shows they can never be
trusted to keep their word," Ms Aung San Suu Kyi said.

The family home where she was isolated for six years now appears to be an
oasis of freedom in a police state that the activist said was significantly
more closed than China.
"The families of dissidents can speak to the press in China. That's
impossible here - China is more open," she said.

She described the new constitution, being drawn up by a hand-picked
convention, as "a step backwards" because it legitimised a Government that
seized power.

Ms Aung San Suu Kyi dismissed the regime's claims that the people were now
less interested in "Western-style" democracy because a more open economy was
giving them the opportunity to acquire wealth.

She said the rich were becoming richer and the poor poorer.
Some parents were now so poor they could only feed themselves by sending
their children to the Army's "voluntary labour" programmes, she said.

She blamed the junta for refusing to entertain opposition views.
"Any institution that is not prepared to tolerate and listen to differences
of opinion cannot find the right answers," she said.

Despite the repression, Ms Aung San Suu Kyi was "cautiously optimistic" that
a democratic government would gain power.
"This Government is incapable of maintaining either the rule of law or a
healthy economy.

"If the Government cannot do either, it cannot resist the force of the
people's will," she said.

The SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (BURMA: FORGOTTEN BURMA)
April 9, 1996 also added:

If Burma's rulers refuse to talk, there is little she can do without the
backing of the outside world. It was international pressure that contributed
to her release from house arrest. Since then, this was slackened off, with
neighbouring nations preferring to pursue investment opportunities under the
guise of a policy of constructive engagement.

But Aung San Suu Kyi's message is that this is not working. If the outside
world wants to help Burma, rather than merely profit from its
under-developed economy, then they must redouble their pressure on the
military leadership to open talks with opposition leaders.

Democratic Voice of Burma(DVB) has one hour air time broadcasting to Burma
everyday. It is one of the main sources of information for the people of
Burma especially for those inside the country.  For more informaton, please
write to:
DVB, P.O Box 6720, ST.Olavs Plass, 0130 Oslo, Norway.  Tel: 47-22-200021,
Tel/fax:47-22-362525.

KATHMANDU POST: BURMESE ASK FOREIGNERS NOT TO VISIT
THEIR COUNTRY
April 4, 1996
from ABSL: tom!SHAR@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Kathmandu, April 3 : In the wake of Visit Myanmar
Year 1996, a protest has been launched by All
Burma Students League (ABSL) requesting foreigners
not to visit Myanmar, it's learnt from a representative of
the League who has made clandestine visit to the capital.

The government of Myanmar is currently engaged in
a worldwide campaign to earn hard currency to
consolidate its position as the government of
Burma as well as they buy sophisticated weapons
to continue to suppress its people, its pamphlet says.

According to ABSL, thousands of prisoners and
'so-called' volunteers are being used by the ruling junta
as forced laborers in road and railway construction, and
renovating ancient monuments to attract tourists.

" People have to sleep by the side of road or
railway they are building, with no shelter, water
or any other facilities. In some instances, as in
the case of a Karen woman reported by Amnesty
International in October 1992, women who were
forced to stay overnight had been raped by army
officers and soldiers," the pamphlet says.

The distributed pamphlet further says, the
development of tourism as directed by the State
Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) with
not bring prosperity to the majority of the
people. "It will further fill the pockets of the
military generals and ensure that they continue
to fiercely control expression within the country."

Since 1962, after the military coup d'etat, Burma
has been under the military regime. In August,
1988, a nationwide anti-government uprising broke
out for the restoration of democracy and human
rights in Burma which was participated by people
from all walks of life. However, thousands of
demonstrators were massacred by the army and the
military took power again. In 1990 general
election, the National League for Democracy party
led by Aung San Suu Kyi won a landslide victory
but the military refused to hand over the power.
After the release of Aung San Suu Kyi in 1995, no
substantial progress has been made so far in
bringing democracy and human rights in Burma.

(a similar article was printed in the EVEREST HERALD: STUDENT
LEAGUE APPEALS TOURISTS TO BOYCOTT BURMA on April 4, 1996)

NCGUB: FORUM FOR DEMOCRACY AND HUMAN RIGHTS
April 10, 1996
from [email protected]

Democracy pilgrimage

	What the exile activists must do after Aung San Suu Kyi's release is
to support her and NLD. Support does not mean just putting out "100%
support statements". Likewise the people inside must be encouraged and
provided knowledge and skills of non-violent political struggle. Communications
with the inside people are of prime importance so that harmony would be
accomplished. Here is a fresh instance of it.
	Indian-based pro-democracy groups formed a coalition* to visit Lumbani,
the birth-place of Lord Buddha where a new shrine was to be installed a sacred
umbrella. A well-known Buddhist senior monk from Burma, Ashin Nya-Nei-
Thra (Thae-Gon Sayadaw) who has been distinguished for his "Ten precepts
 of kings" and other religious discourses was to patron the ceremony. The
 main reason of trip was to communicate with the  people because 300 or so
were expected to come out of Burma to partake.
	NCGUB led the coalition including one monk, nine men and four women.
The dedicated close-knit crews started the 2000 Km-round-trip journey from
Delhi on a special Deluxe minibus at midnight of 3rd April. Kusinagar where
Buddha ultimately attained Nirvana more than 2,500 years ago, 175 Km before
 Lumbani was the transit camp. A visiting lady manager, on seeing a Burmese
monk allowed them for a single night of 4th April saying many visitors were
coming by tomorrow.
	The Arakan abbot, U Nya-Nei-Thra (not the first one) is one of a few monk
s who accepted SLORC's politically motivated citations, Eggamahapandhitt
a. On the wall we noticed a photo of late U Wunna-Theri who was known as
one of the "Monk-Generals" of the SLORC-backed Sangha organisation. The
 group were not surprised when the abbot suggested us to move to "Thar-
Wuthdi" which is 200 Kilometres away and the SLORC had no plan to visit
there either. I thoughtfully turned down his.
	During breakfast and lunch we had a conversation with the abbot and the
visiting lady whose "Nya-chawk-kyaw" was delicious. U Nya-Nei-Thra talk
ed about unity which meant just not to confront against anybody. We replied,
 "NLD's position is reconciliation". The young students of the us
were advised to study but not just sticking to democracy struggle. I added
, "We need the country governed by people with considerable education"
 . The lady prescribed, "In your life you should not tread water against
the current". The girls responsed, "It'll be quite boring and irresp
onsibly".
	While the group was about to move, a Burmese embassy team escorted
by two intelligence guys arrived in. Obviously they were bewildered. However we
introduced each other saying hello and we all were from Burma. I concluded
 that the army, the police or the associates of the SLORC were not the enemies,
but we desired to reintroduce democracy in our Burma hand in hand with them.
	We were not difficult to find a new accommodation in Tibet Buddhist
temple which is side by side with the Burmese one. The Lama was so benevolent
to host us. We enjoyed the video of "Heart of Tibet" which recorded
unusual brutalities of Chinese in Tibet.
	On the next morning the local authorities called a meeting inviting all
guest-houses and temples and asked them not to accept any more guests from
Burma informing the presence of 14 opposition people in the Tibet temple.
The Lama was particularly requested not to let us to advance to Burmese
monastery and the pagoda after 8 PM. It was knowable that there was an appeal
from the foe side. At midnight a magistrate and a police officer met with me
me inquiring the plan of our visit. The answers were forthright.
	"We are democrats, followers of a Noble Peace Prize winner and of non-
violence".
	"We appreciate India and we never conduct anything against the
hospitality of India".
	The officers allowed us to move on to Lumbani before the VIPs arrived. I
decided to stay in Kusinagar while the VIPs and non-VIPs were there so that
we could operate according to the plan. Since then we were guarded by security
peoples.
	Before the next daybreak we learnt that the SLORC number one, his wife,
the intelligence master's wife and others were coming on four helicopters.
Mrs. Khin Nyunt was in a plaster-of-Paris cast. All were welcomed by a
beautiful plate printed with Aung San Suu Kyi's picture (a product of the
 CNAB*) which has been donated and placed in front of the Buddha statue.
	The new comers who arrived at Kusinagar while VIPs were having food on
the red carpet in a tent-house had to sun-dry for a couple of hours outside
the monastery. Among them were donors of the shrine umbrella. Other local
Buddhist people and monks were also barred.
	This pilgrimage tour was arranged by the religious affairs minister, Gen.
 Myo Nyunt collecting 1.5 lakh kyats per head. 65 dollars was provided.
But a son of a General brought $6,000 for his pocket-money. Those who could
donate 50,000 kyats or more were favoured. Nevertheless one had to spend 2
 lakh. The tourist guides who must have good background kept the passports
 of all civilians and monks who had been ordered not to discuss any politics
 with anybody in India. Yes the people did not need to be lectured.
	How is the "Sangha Mahanayaka"?
	It is just like the civilians who have just to sign what they are ordered.
	How developing Burma is nowadays?
	Nothing else but new constructions by contributed forced labour.
	How are the prices? Skyrocketing.
	How are Daw Suu's public meetings?
	Well-attended.
	How is she?
	She is smart.
	How do people expect?
	Totally on her and you the exiles as well.
	How do you see of us?
	We were told the expatriated students were beggarly. But we are pleased t
o see you doing well.
	Do you like the situation?
	You have suffered for 8 years outside, we 8 years inside.
	Etc?
	Etc.
	Just after the helicopters took off, the District Magistrate met with U R
amjeet and me in a pretty tourist hotel to question about us. He said they
 were our guests and you were too. He expressed his concern if we would st
age a demonstration. I affirmed that we did not. We rather like to demonst
rate in Delhi for excellent media-coverage. The demonstrations are not the
 language SLORC could understand. Instead we encourage SLORC to do merits
and to obverse merit-makings so that they would become closer to truth and
 peace. We perceived everybody we met, during the trip, did not need to be
 introduced to Aung San Suu Kyi.
	The local monks, the college students and others came to see us and besto
wed solidarity with us. When it was learnt that we adhered to non-violence
 and had own strategy, their planned demonstration by local monks wearing
black gowns with "Go back home" message on the backs was postponed.
	A group of students from ABSL who are campaigning "No-visit Burma"
and came back from Khatmandu were blocked to enter Lumbani on 5th April. In
Buddha Gaya the Burmese pilgrims met other group of students who were also
 on a crusade against "Visit Myanma Year 1996". So no one could not
refrain from learning the PD, "promote democracy" messages from India.
	An old courageous lady of over 80 asked the group members if they
had anything to pass on to their families. We said we just wanted the people and
the pilgrims to be clear of obstacles and wished for freedom from fear. The
fruition of the trip was the endeavor of all members with guts and insight.

Democracy pilgrimage coalition, India.
April 10, 1996
*The team was made up of  NCGUB, NLD/LA, ABYMU, ABSDF, ABSL,
 AASYC, FTUB and WRWAB.
*CNAB stands for Committee for Non-violent Actions in Burma

SEAS PRESS RELEASE: BURMA VICTORY AT STANFORD
April 10, 1996 (Students for Environmental Action at Stanford)
from: seac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Stanford joins Harvard in Opposing Corporations in Burma

Associated Students at Stanford University passes selective purchasing
legislation, urges Trustees to vote proxy resolutions at shareholder
meetings

At its weekly meeting on Tuesday, April 9, the Associated Students
of Stanford University (ASSU), urged by Students for Environmental Action
at Stanford (SEAS), passed selective purchasing legislation which
prohibits any purchases from corporations who operate in Burma -- also
known as Myanmar.  The resolution also urges all other departments within
Stanford to adopt similar policies.  In addition, the ASSU recommended
that the Stanford Committee on Investment Responsibility use its proxy
votes at upcoming shareholder meetings in order to promote human rights
and democracy in Burma.  This committee, composed of four members of the
Stanford Board of Trustees, is considering action at spring shareholder
meetings for Pepsico, Unocal, Texaco, and Arco.
        This act comes on the heels of a recent petition campaign
organized by SEAS which garnered over 2000 student signatures urging the
administration to prevent a Taco Bell from opening in the student center.
With its selective purchasing resolution and campaigns targeting Pepsico
and other corporations, Stanford joins Harvard University's student
government in calling for corporate responsibility in university contracts
and investments.  Stanford also joins the Student Environmental Action
Coalition, the nation's largest student organization, in making corporate
responsibility in Burma a priority action issue.

THE DAILY NORTHWESTERN: STUDENTS CALL FOR NU TO BACK
OUT OF BURMA
April 8, 1996
simpsonb@xxxxxxx

Beyond Rangoon: Two students want NU to pull money out of companies that do
business with the authoritarian regime in Burma.

Two Northwestern students charged University admistrators Friday with
acting irresponsibly with its investments and implicitly sanctioning human
rights abuses - including slave labor - in the authoritarian military
regime of Burma.

CAS senior Carwil James and graduate student Brad Simpson, members of the
Free Burma Coalition, met with the dean of the J.L. Kellogg Graduate School
of Management and delivered a letter to the senior vice-president for
business and finance Friday in an attempt to persuade NU to divest its
holdings in companies that do business in Burma.

Senior Vice President C. William Fischer said NU has no policy that makes
judgements about political regimes in foreign countries and the university
invests in companies that do business  in other authoritarian regimes, such
as china and South American countries. NU administrators do not intend to
immediately change university policy, but they will consider the students'
request, Fischer said.

"The administration has received the concern and we have it under review,"
he said.

Kellogg Dean Donald Jacobs sits on the board of Directors of Unocal, an oil
company that is building a $1 billion pipeline through Burma and is accused
by the students of using slave labor in the pipeline's construction. The NU
endowment fund also owns about $5 million of stock in Unocal.

Simpson said Jacobs defended Unocal's presence in Burma as the best way to
lead to democracy.  But last year the Wall Street Journal editorialized
against investment in Burma. "It's clear the only development Burma's
generals have in mind is the kind that locks in their own brutal rule," the
editorial said.

James and Simpson want NU to be "socially responsible" in all of its
investments but are first attacking the Burma issue.

"We feel Northwestern, by association with these corporations, is
implicated in human rights abuses," Simpson said. "We want the University
to divest and make long-term changes in th way investments are made."

The students said NU owns about $70 million - of a $2 billion endowment -
in companies that do business in Burma, including PepsiCo., IBM and General
Electric. But Fischer said the 0.7 % of NU's endowment is invested in
PepsiCo and Unocal. Regardless of the amount, James and Simpson are calling
for NU to divest all of its holdings from these companies.

The ruling regime in Burma has received worldwide scorn for its human
rights abuses. Last Year the Wall Street Journal referred to the rulers as
"thugs" and said the regime "holds power illegally, and what's more, spends
half the national budget on weapons." The Newspaper also charged the
Burmese government with waging war on its own citizens.

Burmese citizens voted overwhelmingly for the National League for Democracy
party in 1990 elections, but the ruling military regime nullified the
elections and has used force to maintain power. The human rights abuses
have been detailed in publications such as the Washington Post and
Financial Times of London.

Divesting in companies that do business with repressive regimes would be a
bold step for NU but not unprecedented. In the 1980's NU withdrew millions
of dollars in investments from companies that did business in South Africa
under apartheid. Other universities also divested in response to student
protests.

Some colleges have already taken action in response to the situation in
Burma. Last Wednesday, Harvard University decided not to transfer $200,000
in business from Coca-Cola to PepsiCo in response to student concerns about
PepsiCo's business deals in Burma.

The New York Times reported in February that measures to impose economic
boycotts on Burma are gaining backers in both houses of Congress. Current
US policy is to neither encourage nor discourage investment, the Times reported.

THE STRAITS TIMES: ASEAN OFFICIALS TO PROPOSE ROPING IN
INDIA AND MYANMAR INTO ARF
By Paul Jacob Indonesia Correspondent
April 10, 1996  (abridged)

              JAKARTA -- A special meeting of Asean senior officials is set
to recommend the inclusion of Myanmar and India as participants of the
Asean Regional Forum (ARF), a grouping bringing regional states,
industrialised countries and superpowers together for talks on security
issues.
	Asean officials began their three-day talks on Monday as part
of preparations for a formal meeting  in Yogyakarta next month of senior
officials from the full 19-member ARF.
               Requests by Myanmar and India for inclusion in the ARF have
been supported by Asean members on the strength of the two countries' roles
and vested interests in the region, their economic and other ties with
Asean and, in India's case, its role as a regional power.
              While such sentiments remained unquestioned at the Surabaya
meeting, diplomatic and other sources contacted yesterday said a similar
endorsement might not be as forthcoming at the ARF meeting in Yogyakarta.
	The 19-member ARF currently includes the Asean seven,
Australia, Cambodia, Canada, China, the European Union, Japan, Laos, New
Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Russia, South Korea and the US.
              At the ARF meeting in Brunei last year, Indonesia was given
the task of determining membership criteria, an issue which will be
discussed in Yogyakarta before being put to the grouping's ministers who
meet here in the middle of the year.

ANNOUNCEMENT: MYANMAR OPEN FOR BUSINESS CONFERENCE
April 1996

The following advertisement was printed in a business magazine on
February 29, 1996:

	"MYANMAR OPEN FOR BUSINESS"
	23-25 May 1996
	The Strand Hotel, Yangon, Myanmar

	Meet with the Government at the Ministries,
		Visit Operating Joint Ventures,
		Network over Golf and Evaluate Forum will be opened by
		The Deputy Prime Minister of the Union of Myanmar.

	Keynote government speakers included:

		Brigadier-General David O.Abel
		(Minister of National Planning and Economic Development)

		Brigadier-General Win Tin
		(Minister of Finance and Revenue)

		Dr. Tun Shin
		(Legal Advisor, Ministry of National Planning and Economic
		 Development)

	Private sector speakers include:

		Tae-Chul Shin
		(Managing Director, Myanmar Daewoo Ltd.)

		Gerard Murnane
		(Project Manager, Myanmar Ericsson)

		U Aung Kyaw Myint
		(Country Manager)

	Myanmar Tractors
	(Sole Caterpillar dealer in Myanmar)

	Major Sponsor: 	RUSSIN & VECCHI LTD.

	Official Hotel:	Kandawgyi Palace Hotel
			Your Golden Teak Palace on the Royal Lake.

	Official Publications:	MMI
				Asia Times
				(Your Asia Insider)
				Asia, Inc.
				(The region's business magazine)
				The VIETNAM business journal
				Business News INDOCHINA

	Produced by INFOCUS with the support of the Ministry of National
	Planning and Economic Development.

	INFOCUS
	Investment Focus limited
	8/F Kinwick Centre
	32 Hollywood Road
	Central, HONG KONG
	Tel: (852) 2581 8062/5
	Fax: (852) 2851 0902

BURMANET: BRIEF BUSINESS REPORTS
April 13, 1996
compiled from information provided by I.Der and M. Beer

CANADA'S IVANHOE SIGNS COPPER JOINT VENTURE

Ivanhoe Myanmar Holdings Ltd, a subsidiary of Canada's
Ivanhoe Capital group, and Burma's state-owned Number One Mining
Enterprise, recently signed a joint venture agreement to mine copper.
The agreement covers the development, mining and processing
of copper from the Monywa copper complex in central Burma's
Sagaing Division.

"The deposit at Letpandaung (the agreed mining area) is known to
cointain about 180 million tonnes of copper ore with copper content of
0.66 percent," Burma's Minister for Mines, Lieutenant-General Kyaw Min,
was quoted as saying at the signing ceremony.

BMWS TO BE IMPORTED TO BURMA

Germany's Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (BMW) has initiated a joint venture
between Indonesia's PT Astra International, Myanmar Cinthe Motors, and
Japan's Marubeni as the authorized importer for BMW and Land Rover
vehicles in Burma.

According to BMW, The joint venture, called Myanmar Astra Cinthe Motors,
has already set up and completed a showroom and servicing facility in
Rangoon.  A second bigger showroom and service center will be built this
year in Rangoon, and a third facility in 1997 in Mandalay.

'This translates into an investment of up to $5 million in 1996
alone,' BMW noted.

The number of cars in Burma grew by more than 10% to 131,953
cars in 1995.  The number of new cars bought increased from 240 cars
in 1994 to 684 in 1995, BMW said.

 'Overall the car market is expected to grow by about 14% annually,
on the back of Myanmar's projected yearly economic growth of 7% to 9%,'
BMW predicted.

SCHNEIDER PLANS EXPANSION IN BURMA

Electrical engineering group Schneider SA <SCHN.PA> intends to enter
Burma in the next three years as well as expand in India and Japan.
SA is in the process of restructuring and aims to double its profits by the
year 2000, chairman Didier Pineau-Valencienne told a news conference.

WWW: A HUMAN RIGHTS EXHIBITION ON WWW
April 12, 1996   (abridged)

The Submissions to Human Rights Sub-Committee are now available in
Netscape displayed form. These documents are on my home site:

http://www.physics.adelaide.edu.au/~uneoo

I will display those documents to the netters from April 8 to 22 - i.e
for two weeks period; and I am working towards that deadline.
People who requested those documents may copy those files on WWW
before April 23. For those who wish to use those documents in permanent
display, it will be appropriate to request hard copy from the Secretary
of the Human Rights Sub-Committee.

With best regards, U Ne Oo.

ISBDA: NEW & NLD VIDEOTAPES AVAILABLE
April 13, 1996

Dear Friends:
        Information Service on Burmese Democracy Affairs announces that we
are ready to distribute the following (NLD) video tapes newly arrived .
Please find the Ordering Information after the  list of all available videotapes.

K. Tint, ISBDA
====================================
Newly Arrived for ISBDA Special Series

Volume # S-7 (New Arrival)
NLD's 49th Union Day Ceremony:  The celebration was opened by keynote
address of U Aung Shwe, chairman of the NLD, and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. The
NLD also published its research paper on the new concept of unity in Burma,
and also stressed the requirement of a national assembly which will be
attended by all ethnic groups to openly conduct discussions in order to
start restoration of true unity in the country.
Performances by several dance groups including Chin, Karen, Kachin, Pao,
Shan and Bama. The Shans were the most active performers at the event.
Recording Date: February 12, 1996.

Volume # S-6 (New Arrival)
"1996 Independent Day Dinner Party of Dobama Asiayone"
This tape is not from the NLD, but a Private Video Document featuring
SLORC disagreeable gathering of Burma's veteran politicians, 'Thakhins,' to
gently celebrate Independent Day that they brought to Burma. The NLD
officials including U Aung Shwe, U Tin U, and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi were
also seen at the Dinner. BoMhu Aung, Chairman of Dobama Asiayone (Our
Burmese Association), expressed his concern to the widespread personal
attacks in the (SLORC controlled) media in Burma.
Music and Songs by Pianist Hteik Tin Win Troupe who specialized in the
Nationalist Songs of Burma. Recording Date: January 4, 1996.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
List of NLD Video Tapes Available from ISBDA

_SPECIAL VOLUMES_

Volume # S-5
"48th Independent Day Celebration Part 2: Par Par Lay's Mandalay Ah Nyein".
Comedians: U Par Par Lay and U Lu Zaw. Dancers: Myodaw Win Mar,  Hnin Pa
Pa.  Music: Ko Tin Myint Hlaing Troupe.  Recording Date: January 4, 1996.

Volume # S-4
"48th Independent Day Celebration Part 1: Keynote Speech by NLD Chairperson
U Aung Shwe, and top performers' Dances, Harp, Play, and Music by NLD Youth
Band with opening tune 'Kabar Ma Kyay Bu'." Recording Date: January 4, 1996.

Volume # S-3
Keynote Speech at NGO Forum in Peking by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
(This tape is not from the NLD; ISBDA acknowledges Strider for forwarding
this video document). Recording Date: Unknown  Price: US$10.00

Volume # S-2
"1995 Independent Day Dinner Party of Thakhin Gyis"
This tape is not from the NLD, but a Private Video Document featuring
SLORC disagreeable gathering of Burma's veteran politicians, 'Thakhins,' to
gently celebrate Independent Day that they brought to Burma.
Recording Date: January 4, 1995.

Volume # S-1 "The National Day Ceremony at NLD Headquarters"
Recording Date: November 16, 1995.

_REGULAR VOLUMES_

Volume # 34 - NLD People's Forum:  New Year Messages for 1996.
Recording Date: December 30, 31, 1995.

Volume # 33 - NLD People's Forum: Recording Date: December 23, 24, 1995.

Volume # 32 - NLD People's Forum: Recording Date: December16, 17, 1995.

Volume # 31- NLD People's Forum: Recording Date: January 13, 14, 1996.

Volume # 30- NLD People's Forum Recording Date: January 6, 7, 1996.

Volume # 29
NLD People's Forum: Speeches regarding NLD policy and position on SLORC
sponsored National Convention. Recording Date: December 2,3, 1995.

Volume # 28
Meeting of 'Thar Kay Ta Township' NLD members and  NLD leaders  headed by
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.  Recording Date: November 3, 1995.

Volume # 27
Meeting of 'Pa Zun Taung Township'  members and  NLD Officials led by Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi.  Recording Date: September 3, 1995.

Volume # 26 - NLD People's Forum Recording Dates: September 2,3, 9,10, 1995.

Volume # 25 - NLD People's Forum: Recording Dates: August  19, 20, 26, 27, 1995.

Volume # 24 - NLD People's Forum.  Recording Dates: July 23, 25, 26, 30,
August 5, 6, 12, 13, 1995.

Volume # 23 - NLD People's Forum: Recording Dates: July 19, 23 30, 1995.

Volume # 22- NLD People's Forum: Recording Dates: November 18, 19, 1995.

Volume # 21- NLD People's Forum: Recording Dates: November 12, 1995.

Volume # 20- NLD People's Forum:  Recording Dates: October 28, 29, November 4, 1995.

Volume # 19- NLD People's Forum: Recording Dates: October 21, 22, 1995.

Volume # 18
Meeting of 'Kun Chan Gone Township' party members and  NLD Officials led by
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.  Recording Date: September 26, 1995.

Volume # 17
Meeting of 'Mayan Gone Township' party members and  NLD Officials led by
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.  Recording Date: September 6, 1995.

Volume # 16 - NLD People's Forum:.  Recording Dates: October 8, 14, 1995.

Volume # 15
Meeting of 'Pegu Division' NLD youth members and  NLD Officials led by Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi.  Recording Date: September 19, 1995.

Volume # 14
Meeting (II) of 'Rangoon Division' party members and  NLD Officials led by
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.  Recording Date: August 25, 1995.

Volume # 13
Meeting (I) of 'Rangoon Division' party members and  NLD Officials led by
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.  Recording Date: August 25, 1995.

Volume # 12
Students Organized 'Thadingyut Ceremony' at NLD Office to pay respect to
Senior Political Activists of Burma.  Recording Date: October 8, 1995.

Volume # 11 - NLD People's Forum: Recording Dates: September 30,
October 1, 7, 8, 1995.

Volume # 10 - NLD People's Forum: Recording Dates: September 23, 24, 30, 1995.

Volume #  9 - NLD People's Forum: Recording Dates: September 10, 16, 17 1995.

Volume #  8
Meeting of 'Kachin State' party members and NLD Officials led by Daw Aung
San Suu Kyi.  Recording Date: August 30, 1995.

Volume #  7
Meeting of 'Moulmein Township' party members and  NLD Officials led by Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi.  Recording Date: August 25, 1995.

Volume #  6
Meeting of 'Irrawaddy Division' party members and  NLD Officials led by Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi. Recording Date: August 1, 1995.

Volume #  5
Meeting of 'Pegu Division' party members and  NLD Officials led by Daw Aung
San Suu Kyi. Recording Date: August 18, 1995.

Volume #  4
Meeting (II) of 'Mandalay Division' party members and  NLD Officials led by
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. Recording Date: August 4, 1995.

Volume #  3
Meeting (I) of 'Mandalay Division' party members and  NLD Officials led by
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. Recording Date: August 4, 1995.

Volume #  2
Meeting of 'Mon State' party members and  NLD Officials led by Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi. Recording Date: July 25, 1995.

Volume #  1
First day meeting with  NLD members all over Burma and Daw Aung San Suu  Kyi.
Recording Date: July 17, 1995.
========================
ORDERING INFORMATION

Unless otherwise specified the price for each Volume  is US$15.00 which
includes tape, copying, handling and air-mailing from the US.

Friends who interested in sharing these tapes must send return address  to
ISBDA, 108 N. Hidalgo #305, Alhambra CA91801, USA  with enclosed check or
international MO payable to Htay H. Kyi.

Please clearly mention the tape Volume  numbers in your order and
we will immediately air-mailed  after knowing your payment.
Remember that a short email notice to ktint@xxxxxxxxxxxxx as you mail the
order quicken the process.

All video tapes are recorded by home video camera system on NTSC VHS format.
(For Camcorder players, 8 mm Video Copies are also available here at ISBDA
upon special request: No additional charge is necessary for this service)

Burmese students and refugees  should send a written request to ISBDA for
getting these videos at high discount rates.