Leo Nichols arrested

Regime detains consul and friend of Suu Kyi
20.4.96/ Bangkok Post

A WELL-KNOWN Burmese businessman and close friend of democracy
leader Aung San Suu Kyi has been detained by the military
government, diplomats said yesterday.

Bangkok-based diplomats and democracy supporters in Rangoon told
Reuters that 65year-old Leo Nichols, who also serves as honorary
consul or contact for several European nations, was taken into
custody earlier this month and has not been heard from since.

"I have heard he was arrested," a Norwegian diplomat said. "We
have approached the authorities ... we are waiting for their
reply. I understand several other countries are doing the same
thing."

He said he had heard various reasons for the detention and was
not sure where Nichols was being held.

Other diplomats and democracy sources in Rangoon said Nichols was
being held for having two fax machines in his house, and for
alleged bribery.

Burmese authorities have not commented.

Nichols served as honorary consul-general for Norway and also
represented or served as contact person for Denmark Finland and
Switzerland.

A relative of Suu Kyi's said Nichols had lent the Nobel laureate
a car but did not have any formal financial ties  to her National
League for Democracy party.

"He is not related to the NLD. But he is very close to Suu Kyi,"
the relative said. "We heard about his arrest but we are not sure
what is going on."

Diplomats said representatives from the countries Nichols worked
for were expected to seek ways to help him.

"We would like to help. He's our consul person and has been for
many years, so we want to help him," one ambassador said.

Nichols was detained previously, diplomats said, but they did not
have any further details. _

Typed by the Research Department of the ABSDF [MTZ]