Heineken USA / Amnesty Internationa

Subject: Heineken USA / Amnesty International

Dear Free Burma folks:

I've just had a phone conversation with Heineken USA's V.P. of Corporate
Affairs, Dan Tearno.  I am paraphrasing his understanding of a dialogue
between Amnesty International of the Netherlands and Heineken International
-- which is that Amnesty has indicated they are not entirely opposed to
Heineken (or "companies" - I don't recall which) doing business in Burma
because it could give Amnesty greater access to information through such
businesses.

I indicated sincere doubt that Amnesty would endorse a joint venture with
the SLORC (as Heineken has) and he backed down and said that was not what
Amnesty was saying, but only that there could be some benefits of companies
doing business there.

Does anyone know what Amnesty International's official position is regarding
business in Burma (even if it's a "we don't get involved in that sort of
endorsement")?  I think Heineken needs it in writing.

Of course he put up the "model of good behavior" rationale for doing
business with SLORC but I don't think he even believed it.  He seemed pretty
sincere and I don't think he personally believes this thing is going to be
good for Heineken in the long run -- he didn't argue with me when I
emphasized the problem with doing a joint venture with SLORC but he did
indicate the desire for additional information.

If any Amnesty people would like to get back to him, please drop me a note.

David

Los Angeles Campaign for a Free Burma - freebrma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Obviously pressure from consumers and shareholders is what we'll respond to."
	-- Christopher Sinclair, CEO, PepsiCo International

	BOYCOTT UNOCAL       \ | /		  PTTEP
	BOYCOTT TOTAL        / | \		  EGAT
   FREE BURMA * SAVE THE LUBICON CREE * STOP THE PIPELINES!