NKK To Supply Piping For Burma Pipe

Subject: NKK To Supply Piping For Burma Pipeline

Japan NKK To Supply 350Km Of Piping For Burma Pipeline

   TOKYO (AP-Dow Jones)--NKK Corp., Japan's second-largest
steelmaker, received an order through Mitsubishi Corp. to
supply 145,000 tons of 36-inch diameter pipes for a natural
gas pipeline linking Burma to Thailand, a company spokesman
said Thursday.
   NKK will supply the piping for the entire offshore portion
of the pipeline, which is 350 kilometers long, the NKK spokesman
said. The pipeline's total length is 420 kilometers.
   'I can't say how much we'll get for the pipes, but it's a
very large order for us,' the NKK spokesman said.
   A consortium of companies, including France's Total SA, Unocal
of the U.S., Burma's MOGE, and Thailand's P.T.T., is overseeing
the Burma-Thailand natural gas pipeline installation.
   NKK will supply the pipes from July 1996 to March 1997, the
spokesman added.
   Once the pipeline is installed, natural gas from Thailand can
be pumped to Burma, NKK said.
   On the Tokyo Stock Exchange Thursday, NKK shares ended the
session 5 yen higher at 334.

   (END) AP-DOW JONES NEWS 25-04-96
   0747GMT