ABSDF NEWS AGENCY (r)

Press Release
April 25, 1996

 Anti-Pepsi campaign soars inside Burma

	Burmese people especially youth in the Burmese cities started to
launch Boycott Pepsi campaign, according to the sources from inside Burma.
The campaign first began in Mandalay, second city in Burma amongst the
youth. We realize how the Pepsi and other foreign investments are
collaborating with the military regime in suppressing our struggle for
democracy and human rights. said one high school student from Mandalay who
arrived Thailand recently.
	Foreign investment companies including PepsiCo and some giant oil
companies are being accused regionally and internationally for their
dealings with the Slorc who ignores the will of the people in 1990
elections and continues the human rights violations against its people.
"Slorc extensively uses slave labor on its economic projects.  This
includes commercial farming projects that may be he source of the farm
products that PepsiCo exports from Burma. PepsiCo must rely on such
exports to earn hard currency to finance its operation there." according to
Zarni, coordinator of Free Burma campaign, a coordinating body for groups
around the world working for freedom and democracy in Burma. This
coalition is inspired by and modeled after South Africas anti-apartheid
movement. Currently, there are more than 75 colleges and universities in
the US working in the coalition.
	"We are very encouraged by this international campaign for Burma.
That is why we decided to act locally in Burma," student from Mandalay
continued. "The campaign and boycott activities would be risky and
dangerous for the students inside Burma. However, we have to take very
careful plans," he said.
	The Boycott Pepsi campaign would be intensified when the high
school and colleges are reopen in this coming May, according to him. The
campaign for boycotting Pepsi has spread into Moulmein in Mon State and
Pa-an in Karen State.

ABSDF News Agency
ABSDF (DAWN GWIN)