English translation and origin of n

Subject: English translation and origin of name "Ayeyarwady'(Irrawaddy)

Dear BurmaNet,

I have always been interested in the cultures and histories of Southeast
Asian nations.  Ihave been doing some research on the major rivers of the
region that are economically important to several countries and are integral
to many of their national stratgies.

To make my research more complete, I need the English translation as well as
the origin of the name for the Ayeyarwady (Irrawaddy) river in Myanmar.

I have reviewed several information sources on the Internet (among them the
high-quality Myanmar government home page) and have not seen the information
I need.

I would appreciate any suggestions or help you can give me.

Sincerely,

Richard Salvo
e-mail: RSalvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx