Senator D'Amato's Statement at the

Subject: Senator D'Amato's Statement at the today hearing

S E N A T E   B A N K I N G   C O M M I T T E E
News Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
WEDNESDAY, MAY 22, 1996
CONTACT: Richard Mills (202)224-0894

   Prepared Statement of U.S. Senator Alfonse M. D'Amato (R - NY)
         Chairman, Senate Banking Committee
                Hearing on S.1511,
    "Burma Freedom and Democracy Act of 1995"
         Wednesday, May 22, 1996

This morning the Committee will conduct a hearing on S. 1511, the "Burma
Freedom and Democracy Act of 1995." I want to commend Senator McConnell for
his leadership and his initiative on this important human-rights legislation.
I am pleased to be a co-sponsor of this important legislation along with
Senators Moynihan and Leahy.

This legislation uses sanctions to send a clear message to the ruling
military junta in Burma -- the State Law and Order Restoration Council
(SLORC) -- that its record on human rights, in counter-narcotics, and its
refusal to let the democratically elected National League for Democracy (NLD)
assume office is immoral and unacceptable to the United States.

Burma's human rights record is horrendous. For example, in 1988, the SLORC
killed an estimated 3,000 pro-democracy demonstrators. Thousands more have
been jailed since then. And just yesterday, roughly forty-five members of the
NLD were arrested for attempting to peacefully assemble.

The junta's record in counter-narcotics is also unacceptable. In 1994, Burma
was responsible for 94% of the opium produced worldwide and is the supplier
of 60% of the heroin found in the U.S. A State Department concluded that
Burma was not taking adequate steps to control the narcotics produced there.
The drug trafficking groups involved in the heroin trade seemingly have
complete autonomy to produce and distribute center in the U.S. for Southeast
Asian heroin.

It is obvious that current U.S. policy toward Burma is NOT working and
increased pressure on the SLORC is needed. We must recognize that sanctions
will force the SLORC to clean up. I fully agree with Nobel Peace Prize winner
Desmond Tutu when he stated that, "Five years of constructive engagement has
only given the SLORC the confidence to maintain its repressive rule."

This legislation will help send a clear message that the United States will
not tolerate such outrageous behavior. U.S. companies such as PepsiCo, Levi
Strauss, and Macy's, among others, have put moral responsibility ahead of
their bottom line by starting to serve their ties with Burma. The U.S.
Government should also assume a more aggressive and activist policy. The
Administration has not exercised such leadership; Congress must provide it
and that is the purpose of Senator MCConnell's bill.

It is important fot the United States to send a strong signal that we will
not accept the current situation in Burma. Today's hearing is only the first
step in sending this loud and clear message.

        # # # # #

** More testimonies will be posted soon.  If you would like to have them
immediately, please email to "Campaign for Burma Freedom Bill"
(FreeBurma@xxxxxxx) your fax. number. **