REPORT ON COMMUNICATIONS (23/5/96)

/* Written Fri 24 May 6:00am 1996 by DRUNOO@xxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma */
/* -------------" Report on Communication (23/5/96) "-------------- */

LETTER TO UNHCR IN INDIA
************************
Dr U Ne Oo
48/2 Ayliffes Road
St Marys SA 5042
AUSTRALIA

May 23, 1996.

Chief of the Mission
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
14, Jor Bagh
New Delhi - 110 003
INDIA

Dear Sir/Madam,

It was informed by the concerned organizations that some of the Burmese
refugees, to whom their status were eligible to enjoy the UNHCR's
protection, have been denied of their Subsistence Allowance for their stay
in India.

Many of us are aware that there have been considerable number of displaced
people from Chin State in Burma who presently residing in Indian border
states such as Mizoram and Manipur. We are also quite aware that the UNHCR
might not have the logistics to reach out to the displaced Chin people in
these border states.

However, in view of the recent difficulties that had experienced by above
mentioned individuals who do not wish to return to the border states and
wishing to stay temporarily in New Delhi, I should make my personal appeal
that the UNHCR in New Delhi consider providing the Subsistence Allowence to
those refugees.

In closing, I should like to thank you for your kind attention to this
matter.

Yours respectfully,
Sd. U Ne Oo.

cc:
1. Ms Sadako Ogata, UNHCR, Case Postale 2500, CH-1211 Geneva 2 Depot,
Switzerland.
2. Dr Pierre-Michel Fontaine, Representative for UNHCR, 9 Terrigal
Crescent, O'Mally, ACT 2606, Australia.

/* endreport */