re June 4 Total Annual meeting, and

Subject: re June 4 Total Annual meeting, and some Total background files

--------------50F67CD750DF

Please use the addresses, email in NY and Paris, as well as faxes to tell
them what you think! Check out the Total site in our new web.
Its going up daily
metta, Dawn Star Paris
http://www-uvi.eunet.fr/
EuroBurmanet

--------------50F67CD750DF

<hr>
Headline: Total SA reports a 9% increase in the estimated 1995 Net Income b=
efore special items =

Date: January 31, 1996
Source: Total SA
Section: ebn
Rubrique: Total

<P>
Who runs the Business ? =

Chief Executive Officer:  Thierry DESMAREST
Executive Officer: Alain MADEC
Financial Director: Robert  CASTAIGNE

TOTAL <http://www.picodata.fr/total/  is a major international oil and gas =
company operating in more than
50 countries throughout the world. The group has a wide scope of
 activities.These range from exploration, development and production of cru=
de
oil and gas to the refining and marketing of  petroleum products. TOTAL emp=
loys

around 50 000 people.

Who runs the Business ? =

Chief Executive Officer:  Thierry DESMAREST
Executive Officer: Alain MADEC
Financial Director: Robert  CASTAIGNE
Meeting on January 30th, TOTAL's Board of Directors chaired by Thierry DESM=
AREST was =

informed of the Group's estimated 1995 financial results.  Net income (Grou=
p share) before =

special items amounted to FF 3.7 billion compared with FF 3.4 billion in 19=
94.  Taking into =

account the slight increase in shares outstanding over the year, fully dilu=
ted earnings per =

share before special items came to FF 15.8 in 1995 versus FF 14.6 in 1994, =
an 8% increase.  =

Using the average exchange rate for the year, the earnings per ADR (America=
n Depository =

Receipt) rose by 20% to $1.58 in 1995 from $1.32 in 1994.
<P>
In 1995, the application of new US accounting standards and expenses linked=
 to new =

restructuring programs reduced net income by FF 1.5 billion.  Net income (G=
roup share) after =

special items totalled FF 2.2 billion.
<P>
<CENTER>
<TABLE BORDER=3D1>
<TR ALIGN=3DRight><TH>(in billions of French Francs)<TH>1995 (e)<TH>1994
<TR ALIGN=3DRight><TD>Operating income before special items<TD>7.4<TD>7.0
<TR ALIGN=3DRight><TD>Net income Group share before special items<TD>3.7<TD=
>3.4
<TR ALIGN=3DRight><TD>Net income Group share after special items<TD>2.2<TD>=
3.4
<TR ALIGN=3DRight><TD>Cash flow<TD>11.2<TD>12.3
</TABLE>
</CENTER>
<P>
<B>Net income reduced by special items</B>
<P>New accounting standards:
<P>TOTAL elected to apply as from 1995, as previously announced, the new US=
 FAS 121 accounting =

standard, which limits the book value of assets to their market value.  As =
a result, non =

recurring write-downs were recorded for the year mainly in exploration-prod=
uction for fields =

in Norway, the United States and Vietnam.  These charges reduced operating =
income by FF 1.3 =

billion and net income (Group share) by FF 0.8 billion, or about 1 % of non=
current assets.  =

In addition, the FAS 106 standard concerning medical and life insurance cov=
erage for employees =

had a negative impact on net income of FF 0.2 billion.  Application of thes=
e new American =

standards reduces the net income (Group share) by FF 1 billion, without any=
 impact on the cash =

flow.
<P>Restructuring:

<P>Restructuring programs announced in 1995 - the Ark City refinery in the =
US, withdrawal from =

Petrogal in Portugal, rationalisation of the paints segment and reduction o=
f headquarters staff =

reduced net income (Group share) by FF 0.5 billion, and cash flow by FF 0.4=
 billion.
<P><B>Operating income before special items increased due to production gro=
wth and Productivity</B>
<P>Operating income from the business segments before special items rose to=
 FF 7.4 billion in =

1995 from FF 7.0 billion in 1994, in a mixed oil environment.  The average =
Brent price =

increased to $17.10/barrel in 1995 from $15.80 in 1994, but refining margin=
s in both Europe =

and the United States fell to very low levels during the year.  In Europe, =
the average margin =

was $11.40 per tonne ($1.56/barrel) in 1995 versus $13.40 per tonne ($1.84/=
barrel) in 1994.
<P>The 1 0% decline in the Dollar-Franc exchange rate also had a negative i=
mpact.  Taken =

together, these external factors reduced the Group's operating income by ab=
out FF 1 billion.
<P>Once again, operating income growth came from productivity gains and gre=
ater rationalisation =

within the Group as well as from an increase in oil and gas production.  Th=
ese two factors =

added FF 1.1 billion to operating income, more than offsetting the adverse =
effect of market =

conditions.  Exploration expenses decreased by FF 0.1 billion and depreciat=
ion declined by FF =

0.2 billion as a result of adopting FAS 121 effective January 1, 1995, and =
thus accounting for =

the remaining increase in the operating income before special items.
<P>
<CENTER>
<TABLE BORDER=3D1>
<CAPTION>Operating Income by Business Segment (before special items)</CAPTI=

<TR ALIGN=3DRight><TH>(in billions of French Francs)<TH>1995 (e)<TH>1994
<TR ALIGN=3DRight><TD>Upstream<TD>4.4<TD>2.98
<TR ALIGN=3DRight><TD>Downstream<TD>1.3<TD>2.36
<TR ALIGN=3DRight><TD>Chemicals<TD>1.7<TD>1.66
<TR ALIGN=3DRight><TH>Total<TD>7.4<TD>7.00
</TABLE>
</CENTER>
<P>
<B>Upstream Segment shows strong growth</B>
<P>The Upstream Segment enjoyed strong growth in operating income, driven b=
y a combination of higher crude prices; an 11 % increase in non-Middle-East=
 output to 382,000 boe/d from 345, 000 boe/d in 1994; productivity gains ai=
med at reducing technical production costs, and lower operating expense.
<P>Middle-East oil and gas output was maintained at 287,000 boe/d.  TOTAL's=
 proven reserves continued to expand, rising to 4,466 million boe from 4.30=
3 million boe in 1994.  This increase comes from non-Middle-East reserves o=
nly (+8%).
<P>
<B>Downstream Segment hit by the refining crisis</B>
<P>The decline in Downstream operating income reflects refining margin tren=
ds in Europe and the United States.  Efforts to reduce refineries' break-ev=
en points continued in 1995, as well as the development of high value-added=
 products and growth of the marketing activities in expanding countries.  R=
esulting gains however were eroded by the retail price war in the United Ki=
ngdom and the devaluation of a number of African currencies.
<P><B>Sustained growth in the Chemicals Segment despite adverse business co=
nditions in Europe</B>
<P>The Chemicals segment posted a 9% increase in sales over 1994 at FF 21.7=
 billion.  This strengthening however did not feed through to proportional =
growth in operating income.  This was due to lacklustre European building a=
nd automotive markets, which are the main outlets for the Group's specially=
 chemicals business.  Moreover, price increases in raw materials proved dif=
ficult to pass on to consumers.
<P><B>A sound financial situation and a rising investments budget for 1996<=
/B>
<P>Consolidated sales were about stable at FF 136 billion, as underlying gr=
owth was hidden by =

the dollar decline.  Cash flow came down to FF 11.2 billion in 1995 from FF=
 12.3 billion in =

1994, due to currency fluctuations, lower disposal gains and to the negativ=
e impact of some
 exceptional items.  Gross investments amounted to FF 12.1 billion in 1995 =
versus FF 13.6 =

billion in 1994.  Divestment's came to FF 2.3 billion in 1995 compared with=
 FF 3.9 billion in =

1994.  Capital spending budget figures are set at FF 15.6 billion in 1996, =
a 29% increase =

relative to 1995 achievements.<BR>The Group's financial situation is sound,=
 with a debt-to-equity =

ratio of 18% at December 31, 1995 versus 22 % at year-end 1994.

Shareholders - and Free Burma activists - get close to TOTAL and ask them w=
hy they continue to deny their partnership with a country of brutal tyranny=
, forced labor, rape, murder, torture, and genocide of an entire youth - in=
 BURMA. JOIN THE TOTAL DEBATE!

Send your letters now : =

GROUPE TOTAL  =

Thierry Desmarest, CEO, President of Exploration and Production,
HQ: 24 Cours Michelet 92800 Puteaux France
Tel: 33-1-41-35-40-00  Fax: 33-1-41-35-64-65
E-mail : =

Paris France,  : <hourcard@xxxxxxxxx>
New York City  <TOTALNYC@xxxxxxx> , <roberth@xxxxxxxxx>

TOTAL DEBATE TOTAL DEBATE TOTAL TOTAL DEBATE TOTAL DEBATE TOTAL =

</P>

<hr>

Headline: Message from Chairman Thierry Desmarest =

Date: January 31, 1996
Source: Total SA
Section: ebn
Rubrique: Total

Dear Fellow Shareholders,
I would like to take the opportunity provided by this letter to shareholder=
s, which presents our first half 1995 results, to express my feelings of pr=
ide and responsibility as the new Chairman of TOTAL
<http://www.picodata.fr/total/> . I would also like to talk about my goals =
for your Company's future, and the measures I plan to take to achieve them.=
 =

<P>I am fully aware of the importance of my new responsibilities. Leading a=
 group like TOTAL means producing tangible results for the Company's shareh=
olders and for employees, customers and partners.
<P>I  am very proud to be your Chairman, because TOTAL is a wonderful compa=
ny, with outstanding growth prospects. Under my predecessor, Serge Tchuruk,=
 your Company set a course and held to it. TOTAL has made remarkable progre=
ss in the last few years. =

<P>One of my goals, which I would like to share with all of TOTAL's team me=
mbers, is to lift our return on equity to above ten percent, i.e., the benc=
hmark achieved by the most competitive international oil companies. As some=
one who has been deeply involved in TOTAL's management for several years, I=
 am convinced that we can meet this objective in around three years' time, =
barring any further deterioration in our business conditions. =

<P>We are now half-way through the strategic plan we defined and implemente=
d for the 1990s.
The plan's fundamental orientations are in keeping with our objective to in=
crease return on
equity. Our strategy has been successful so far, despite the problems cause=
d by the difficult
environment, notably in refining. I feel comfortable with this strategy, be=
cause I was part of
the team that developed and implemented it. As a result, I do not plan any =
changes, except in
response to opportunities that may arise or to a significant modification i=
n our economic and
industrial environment. We will continue to pursue our four core objectives=
, which are to
increase TOTAL's  oil and gas production and reserves, expand the gas busin=
ess, develop the
specialty chemicals segment, and rebalance the downstream business, with ti=
ghter selectioncriteria for investments. =

As part of this general strategy, we have initiated a number of measures to=
 ensure TOTAL's sustainability and future success. These include:

measures to increase the added value created by the Company ;increasing the=
 reliability of our plants, enhancing our productivity and performance, and=
 responding to the needs of our customers and partners; =

measures to reduce costs by rationalizing purchasing and lowering overhead =
expense.

We will continue the substantial investment program designed to support the=
se strategic objectives, while preserving a robust balance sheet. Investmen=
ts will be selected very carefully, with a view to improving the return on =
capital employed.

These are the key areas on which I intend to focus, with the help of a very=
 high quality management team and the entire TOTAL community. I will devote=
 all of my energy to making these actions a success, because they are the k=
ey to improving TOTAL's competitiveness and profitability.

Thierry Desmarest
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer

Shareholders - and Free Burma activists - get close to TOTAL and ask them w=
hy they continue to deny their partnership with a country of brutal tyranny=
, forced labor, rape, murder, torture, and genocide of an entire youth in B=
URMA. JOIN THE TOTAL DEBATE!

Send your letters now : =

GROUPE TOTAL  =

Thierry Desmarest, CEO, President of Exploration and Production,
HQ: 24 Cours Michelet 92800 Puteaux France
Tel: 33-1-41-35-40-00  Fax: 33-1-41-35-64-65
E-mail : =

Paris France,  : <hourcard@xxxxxxxxx>
New York City  <TOTALNYC@xxxxxxx> , <roberth@xxxxxxxxx>

TOTAL DEBATE TOTAL DEBATE TOTAL TOTAL DEBATE TOTAL DEBATE TOTAL
<hr>
Headline: 1995 TOTAL SA -RESULTS & DIVIDEND INCREASE 9 PERCENT. NEW BOARD D=
IRECTORS =

Date: March 27, 1996
Source: Total SA
Section: ebn
Rubrique: Total

TOTAL's Board of Directors chaired by Thierry DESMAREST met on March 26, 19=
96, to review the 1995 consolidated financial statements and to close the a=
ccounts of the parent company, c
June 4, 1996 - Annual General Meeting, Dividend Declaration
CONSOLIDATED RESULTS</H2></UL>
<P>Consolidated results were in line with estimates released by the Board a=
fter its meeting on January 30, 1996:</P>
<CENTER><TABLE BORDER WIDTH=3D70%>
<TR>
  <TH ALIGN=3DLEFT><I>In Millions of French francs</I></TH><TH>1995</TH><TH=
>1994</TH>
</TR>
<TR>
  <TD>Sales </TD><TD ALIGN=3DRIGHT>135,829</TD><TD ALIGN=3DRIGHT>136,743</T=

</TR>
<TR>
  <TD>Operating Results before FAS 121</TD><TD ALIGN=3DRIGHT>7,441</TD><TD =
ALIGN=3DRIGHT>7,005</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
  <TD>Net Income (Group Share)<BR>before Non-Recurring Items</TD><TD ALIGN=3D=
RIGHT>3,703</TD><TD ALIGN=3DRIGHT>3,385</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
  <TD COLSPAN=3D3><BR></TD>
</TR>
<TR>
  <TD>Net Income (Group Share)</TD><TD ALIGN=3DRIGHT>2,248</TD><TD ALIGN=3D=
RIGHT>3,385</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
  <TD>Earnings per share (in FF)<BR>before Non-Recurring items*</TD><TD ALI=
GN=3DRIGHT>15.8</TD><TD ALIGN=3DRIGHT>14.6</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>
<I>*based on fully-diluted weighted average number of shares</I></CENTER><B=

<P>Sales remained relatively stable at FF 135.8 billion, as volume growth w=
as offset by the decline in the dollar-franc exchange rate.</P>
<P>Consolidated net income (Group share) before non-recurring items rose to=
 FF 3.7 billion, a 9 percent increase over 1994. Combined with a slight inc=
rease in the number of shares outstanding, corresponding earnings per share=
 rose by 8 percent to FF 15.8.</P>
<P>The adoption of the new accounting standards (FAS 121 and FAS 106) and t=
he impact of restructurings, reduced 1995 net income by FF 1.5 billion. Inc=
luding non-recurring items, 1995 net income was FF 2.2 billion. There were =
no non-recurring items affecting 1994 net income.</P>
<H3>IMPACT OF NON-RECURRING ITEMS ON NET INCOME</H3>
<I>US Accounting Standards FAS 121 and 106:</I><BR>
<P>As previously announced, TOTAL decided to adopt in 1995 the new FAS 121 =
as issued by the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB), which limits =
the value of assets to their market value. As a result, TOTAL recognized no=
n-recurring, non-cash expenses related primarily to exploration and product=
ion assets (Norway, US, and Vietnam). The impact on 1995 net income was FF =
0.8 billion.</P>
<P>FAS 106, concerning medical and life insurance coverage of employees, ha=
d a negative impact of FF 0.2 billion on net income.</P>
<P>The adoption of these new standards has no cash flow impact.</P>
<I>Restructurings:</I><BR>
<P>The decisions to sell the Ark City refinery (US), withdraw from Petrogal=
 (Portugal), restructure the paints division, and reduce headquarters staff=
 affected 1995 net income by FF 0.5 billion and 1995 cash flow by FF 0.2 bi=
llion.</P>
<H3>AN UNFAVORABLE 1995 BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT </H3>
<P>Changes in the main external economic factors had a negative impact on 1=
995 Operating Income of FF 1 billion:</P>
<CENTER><TABLE BORDER WIDTH=3D60%>
<TR>
  <TH ALIGN=3DLEFT>External Parameters</TH><TH>1995</TH><TH>1994</TH><TH>Op=
erating Income Impact</TH>
</TR>
<TR>
  <TD>Dollar (/Franc)</TD><TD ALIGN=3DRIGHT>4.99</TD><TD ALIGN=3DRIGHT>5.55=
</TD><TD ALIGN=3DRIGHT>FF -0.8 Bn</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
  <TD>Brent ($/bbl)</TD><TD ALIGN=3DRIGHT>17.05</TD><TD ALIGN=3DRIGHT>15.80=
</TD><TD ALIGN=3DRIGHT>FF +0.5 Bn</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
  <TD>TRCV Margin ($/T)</TD><TD ALIGN=3DRIGHT>11.40</TD><TD ALIGN=3DRIGHT>1=
3.40</TD><TD ALIGN=3DRIGHT>FF -0.7 Bn</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE></CENTER>
<H3>INCREASE IN OPERATING INCOME DRIVEN BY PRODUCTION GROWTH AND PRODUCTIVI=
TY MEASURES</H3>
<P>Operating income by business segment:</P>
<CENTER><TABLE BORDER WIDTH=3D50%>
<TR>
  <TH ALIGN=3DLEFT>In MFF</TH><TH>1995</TH><TH>1994</TH>
</TR>
<TR>
  <TD>Upstream</TD><TD ALIGN=3DRIGHT>4,470</TD><TD ALIGN=3DRIGHT>2,984</TD>=

</TR>
<TR>
  <TD>Downstream</TD><TD ALIGN=3DRIGHT>1,300</TD><TD ALIGN=3DRIGHT>2,356</T=

</TR>
<TR>
  <TD>Chemicals</TD><TD ALIGN=3DRIGHT>1,671</TD><TD ALIGN=3DRIGHT>1,665</TD=

</TR>
<TR>
  <TD><B>TOTAL</B></TD><TD ALIGN=3DRIGHT><B>7,441</B></TD><TD ALIGN=3DRIGHT=
><B>7,005</B></TD>
</TR>
</TABLE></CENTER>
<P>The increase in operating income was driven by growth in oil and gas pro=
duction as well as by productivity gains and rationalization within TOTAL.<=
/P>
<H3>A 50 PERCENT INCREASE IN UPSTREAM OPERATING INCOME</H3>
<P>The 50 percent increase in Upstream operating income was driven by highe=
r production volumes and cost reductions; the combination of changes in for=
eign exchange and oil price had a negligible impact. Oil and gas production=
 increased by 6 percent to 674 mboe/d in 1995 from 633 mboe/d in 1994. Prod=
uction outside the Middle East rose by 11 percent to 382 mboe/d, split 164 =
mb/d of liquids and 1,193 Mcf/d of gas. Middle East production remained sta=
ble at 292 mb/d.</P>
<P>This growth in production, which brings TOTAL closer to a target of 1 mi=
llion boe/d by the beginning of the next decade, was accompanied by an 8 pe=
rcent increase in proved reserves outside the Middle East and by stability =
in Middle East reserves. Total proved reserves rose to 4,468 million boe at=
 year-end 1995 and represent more than 18 years of production based on the =
674 mboe/d produced in 1995.</P>
<H3>DOWNSTREAM AFFECTED BY THE REFINING CRISIS</H3>
<P>Downstream results fell by 45 percent, reflecting the collapse in refine=
ry margins in 1995, both in Europe and the US, and, to a lesser degree, the=
 retail price war in UK marketing. </P>
<P>The negative impact of these elements, however, was partially offset by =
ongoing cost reduction measures and by better performance from value-added =
products, such as LPG, lubricants, aromatics, etc.</P>
<P>TOTAL has decided to limit downstream investments only to high-return, f=
ast-payout projects. Within this context, it is concentrating on high-growt=
h areas, such as the Mediterranean Basin and Asia.</P>
<H3>GROWTH IN CHEMICALS</H3>
<P>Chemical sales rose by 9 percent to FF 21.6 billion in 1995. This increa=
se stems from both internal growth and acquisitions completed during the ye=
ar, including in particular the 57 percent  participation in Kalon.</P>
<P>Operating results for the Chemicals segment were stable, with growth off=
set by eroded margins linked to raw materials price increase.</P>
<H3>A SOLID FINANCIAL POSITION AND A PROJECTED 25 PERCENT INCREASE IN INVES=
TMENTS FOR 1996</H3>
<P>Cash flow declined by 8 percent to FF 11,273 million. This decrease resu=
lted primarily from weakness in the dollar-franc exchange rate.</P>
<P>Gross investments were reduced to FF 12.5 billion in 1995 versus FF 13.6=
 billion in 1994, due to the lower dollar-franc exchange rate and the decis=
ion to cut back the level of Downstream investments. Divestments totaled FF=
 2.3 billion in 1995.</P>
<P>TOTAL projects a sharp 25 percent increase in capital expenditures to FF=
 15.6 billion for 1996, primarily in the Upstream and Chemical segments as =
part of its growth strategy.</P>
<P>Consolidated equity, together with minority interest, rose to FF 56.2 bi=
llion at year-end 1995 as compared to FF 55.8 billion at year-end 1994. The=
 net debt-to-equity ratio was reduced to 18 percent at year-end 1995 versus=
 22 percent at year-end 1994.</P>
<H3>EARLY 1996 ACTIVITY</H3>
<P>The operating environment in the 1996 first quarter has been characteriz=
ed by a stable dollar-franc exchange rate, stronger oil prices, and by refi=
nery margins in Europe less depressed than in 1995, however the retail gaso=
line price war in the UK persists. For chemicals, margins seem to be slight=
ly better.</P>
<P>The level of oil and gas production is in line with projections.</P>
<UL><LI><CENTER><H2>TOTAL SA ACCOUNTS, PROPOSED DIVIDEND AND NOMINATIONS TO=
 THE BOARD</H2></CENTER></UL>
<P>The net result of the parent company, TOTAL SA, was FF 3,552 million in =
1995 versus FF 2,680 million in 1994. </P>
<P>The Board, after closing the accounts, decided to propose at the June 4 =
Annual General Meeting a net dividend of FF 8.7 per share, a 9 percent incr=
ease compared to FF 8.0 per share the previous year, which can be taken eit=
her in cash or in company shares, plus the associated tax credit of FF 4.35=
=2E </P>
<P>The Board will also propose the nomination of Lord Alexander of Weedon a=
nd Mr. Bertrand Jacquillat as directors for three-year terms.</P>
<TABLE BORDER>
  <CAPTION ALIGN=3Dtop><B>1996 Calendar of Important Dividend Dates</B></CA=
PTION>
<TR>
  <TD>June 4, 1996</TD><TD>Annual General Meeting, Dividend Declaration</TD=

</TR>
<TR>
  <TD>June 10, 1996</TD><TD>Ex-dividend date</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
  <TD>June 10 to July 5</TD><TD>Period to exercise option to receive divide=
nd in shares, based on 95 percent of the share price (average opening price=
 of the 20 days prior to the AGM), less dividend</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
  <TD>from July 24,1996</TD><TD>Payment of dividend in cash</TD>

Join the TOTAL DEBATE NOW!
Send your letters now : =

GROUPE TOTAL  =

Thierry Desmarest, CEO, President of Exploration and Production,
HQ: 24 Cours Michelet 92800 Puteaux France
Tel: 33-1-41-35-40-00  Fax: 33-1-41-35-64-65
E-mail : =

Paris France,  : <hourcard@xxxxxxxxx>
New York City  <TOTALNYC@xxxxxxx> , <roberth@xxxxxxxxx>

TOTAL DEBATE TOTAL DEBATE TOTAL TOTAL DEBATE TOTAL DEBATE TOTAL

<hr>
Headline: TOTAL - Investor relations
Date: March 27, 1996
Source: Total SA
Section: ebn
Rubrique: Total

[...]

Head Office, Paris & New York

TOTAL
Michel HOURCARD
Tour TOTAL
24, Cours Michelet
Cedex 47 - 92069 Paris La D=E9fense
tel 33.1 41 35 52 29
fax (33.1) 41 35 52 20
email: hourcard@xxxxxxxxx

Robert HAMMOND
American Services
1585 Broadway
26 th Floor
New York, New York 10036
tel  (212) 969 28 10
fax (212) 969 29 79
email: TOTALNYC@xxxxxxx
email: roberth@xxxxxxxxx

Join the TOTAL DEBATE NOW!
Send your letters now : =

GROUPE TOTAL  =

Thierry Desmarest, CEO, President of Exploration and Production,
HQ: 24 Cours Michelet 92800 Puteaux France
Tel: 33-1-41-35-40-00  Fax: 33-1-41-35-64-65
E-mail : =

Paris France,  : <hourcard@xxxxxxxxx>
New York City  <TOTALNYC@xxxxxxx> , <roberth@xxxxxxxxx>

TOTAL DEBATE TOTAL DEBATE TOTAL TOTAL DEBATE TOTAL DEBATE TOTAL

<hr>
Headline: TOTAL African Oil Business
Date: March 27, 1996
Source: MBendi Information Services
Section: ebn
Rubrique: Total

Who runs the Business ? =

Chief Executive Officer:  Thierry DESMAREST
Executive Officer: Alain MADEC
Financial Director: Robert  CASTAIGNE

TOTAL <http://www.picodata.fr/total/>  is a major international oil and gas=
 company operating in more than
50 countries throughout the world. The group has a wide scope of
 activities.These range from exploration, development and production of cru=
de
oil and gas to the refining and marketing of  petroleum products. TOTAL emp=
loys

around 50 000 people.

Who runs the Business ? =

Chief Executive Officer:  Thierry DESMAREST
Executive Officer: Alain MADEC
Financial Director: Robert  CASTAIGNE
Strengthened by 70 years of experience, TOTAL is an oil and gas company of =
global dimension.  Operating on five  continents and in more than 80 countr=
ies, it has activities in all sectors of the petroleum industry and employs=
  50,000 people worldwide.  Its operations cover all branches of the oil in=
dustry, both <A HREF=3D"cotous.htm">upstream</A> and <A HREF=3D"cotoaf.htm"=
>downstream</A>,ranging from exploration,  development and production of cr=
ude oil and gas as well as refining and marketing.  It is active in trading=
 and  shipping of crude and finished goods and also has interests in  urani=
um, coal, minerals and solar energy.  TOTAL plays an important role in the =
<A HREF=3D"afoi.htm">African oil industry</A>, having <A HREF=3D"cotoafcy.h=
tm"> business activities</A> in as many as 38 <A HREF=3D"cotoaf.htm">Africa=
n countries</A>.
</P>
<P>Founded in 1924 by a syndicate of French industrialists and financiers, =
TOTAL entered the upstream oil business  by taking over the French governme=
nt's 23.8% share in Iraq Petroleum (IPC - then called Turkish Petroleum).  =
 This later entitled it to share in the output of the prolific Kirkuk field=
, discovered by IPC in 1927.  Expansion into  the downstream business took =
place in 1929 with the formation of Compagnie Francaise de Raffinage in whi=
ch  TOTAL holds 55%.  In 1930, the French government took up a 25% interest=
 in the company and later increased  this to 34%, although TOTAL retained m=
anagerial independence.  After the Second World War, developments  included=
 the start of production at Basrah in Iraq, the development of oil in Qatar=
, discoveries in Algeria in  association with SN Repal, and participation i=
n the Iranian consortium created in 1954 (6% interest).</P><P>Today, TOTAL =
remains partly French state-owned with the government
having reduced its direct holding from  34% to just 5% in 1992.  The compan=
y employs about 46,000 people worldwide of which over 25,000 are involved  =
in marketing and refining.  It is believed to be the 7th largest marketer o=
f oil products in the world with sales  concentrated in France where the co=
mpany has a dominant market share.  Significant volumes are also sold into =
 the United States, <A HREF=3D"cotoaf.htm">Africa</A> and elsewhere in Euro=
pe through both retail networks  and direct commercial customer sales.  TOT=
AL's world-wide service station network comprises 9677 outlets many  of whi=
ch are located in Europe, the United States and Africa.  Total sales amount=
 to 52Mt per annum.</P>
<P>
Refining is carried out in 17 refineries, 9 of which are operated by TOTAL =
itself.  Worldwide refining capacity is  44.5Mt and crude processing capabi=
lities are 41Mt.  Refineries are located in France, the United Kingdom, the=
  Netherlands, Germany, the United States, Africa and the West Indies.  TOT=
AL controls 197 tbd of refining  capacity in the United States and 750 tbd =
in Europe.  It also has refining capacity in <A HREF=3D"rena.htm">South  Af=
rica</A> and in other parts of <A HREF=3D"cotoaf.htm">Africa</A>.  TOTAL 's=
 chemicals business is  primarily focused in the coatings industry.  Main p=
roduct sectors include resins, inks, paints, adhesives as well as  rubber p=
roducts.  These are marketed to both an industrial customer base as well as=
 the general public.</P><P>TOTAL is actively following strategies to improv=
e its competitiveness and its robustness.  These include increasing  the pr=
oportion of oil and gas production outside of the Middle East, the developm=
ent of a robust gas business,  expansion of european downstream activities =
southwards and eastwards and consolidation of the company's  specialty chem=
icals sector.  TOTAL is in a unique situation where it is strong in petrole=
um specialities while  having limited exposure to the petrochemical sector.=
</P>
<P>
TOTAL is listed on the Paris and New York stock exchanges.  =

[...]

Headline: TOTAL Upstream Activities in Africa =

Date: March 27, 1996
Source: MBendi Information Services
Section: ebn
Rubrique: Total

Who runs the Business ? =

Chief Executive Officer:  Thierry DESMAREST
Executive Officer: Alain MADEC
Financial Director: Robert  CASTAIGNE

TOTAL < http://www.picodata.fr/total/> is a major international oil and gas=
 company operating in more than
50 countries throughout the world. The group has a wide scope of
 activities.These range from exploration, development and production of cru=
de
oil and gas to the refining and marketing of  petroleum products. TOTAL emp=
loys

around 50 000 people.

Who runs the Business ? =

Chief Executive Officer:  Thierry DESMAREST
Executive Officer: Alain MADEC
Financial Director: Robert  CASTAIGNE
Although historically more focused towards downstream activities, TOTAL has=

recently built up a strong exploration and production division. The group
has a firm base of upstream operations in the Middle East, primarily in the=

United Arab Emirates, Oman and Qatar. Other key areas of activity include
the North Sea, North America, Argentina, Indonesia and a stake in the
African upstream oil industry. =

TOTAL's Upstream exposure in the North Sea and Far East has been substantia=
lly increased to capitalise on the high potential growth prospects in these=
 areas. TOTAL's South American portfolio
includes interests in Argentina and a 40% interest in the Cusiana/Cupiagua
discovery in Colombia. =

Recent discoveries across the spectrum of TOTAL'sportfolio have doubled its=
 reserve base in the past five years to over 2bn barrels of oil equivalent.=
 This has reduced its exposure in the Middle East
and will keep production growing until at least the turn of the century.
Oil and gas produced by TOTAL in 1994 amounted to 364.2 mmboe/d.

As a result of its exploration successes, TOTAL has developed an extremely
cost effective upstream reserve business base with an estimated oil reserve=

life of 13.3 years. The company has similarly developed a strong position
in natural gas with an estimated gas reserve life of 18.9 years.

Upstream assets have also grown through acquisitions in the United States i=
ncluding
CSX Energy, Tipco, Lear Partners and Getty Resources. This has resulted in
achievement of TOTAL 's goal of generating 20% of upstream cash flow from
North America. TOTAL's reserves base has more than doubled over the past
five years to over 2 billion barrels of oil equivalent

TOTAL's upstream group is active in Africa holding a 27.5% interest in one
of the concessions producing Soyo crude in Angola and it has, in addition,
discovered oil at the Tamboril prospect on Block 2. The company has a 25%
interest in production from the Moudi field in Cameroon. In Gabon it became=

operator of an exploration contract on the Gabon Migoumbi block in 1989. In=

Algeria the company produces oil from the small Mereksen field. It
concluded 2 production sharing contracts (55%) in the Ghadames basin in
1989 and formed a joint venture with Sonatrach (TOTAL 49%) to improve
production levels from existing fields in Algeria. In Tunisia, it produces
oil from the Side El Itayem field. In 1988, the tiny Mahares field was
brought onstream. =

TOTAL produces about 18 thousand barrels/day from its
Algerian assets and 10 thousand barrels/day from Angola.

[...]

Headline: TOTAL discovers natural gas - SEIN =

Date: March 5, 1996
Source: MBendi Information Services
Section: ebn
Rubrique: Total

Paris - In Myannar, TOTAL and its partners in the Yadana project have disco=
vered natural gas during initial drilling in a new exploration campaign on =
the M5 and M6 blocs of the Moattama permit. TOTAL is project operator. =

<P>The well is located ten kilometers from the Yadana field, which is curre=
ntly under development. It has produced 26 million cubic feet/day, in horiz=
ons similar to those at Yadana. =

<P>This new discovery will be named Sein. Studies are being conducted to co=
nfirm its commercial viability. =

<P>TOTAL owns 31.24 % of this permit alongside Unocal (28.26 %), PTTEP (25.=
5 %), and Moge (15.0 %).

<P>In Indonesia, natural gas has been found at one delineation well located=
 outside the currently recognized limits of the Tunu field on the Mahakam p=
ermit operated by TOTAL (50 %), in association with INPEX (50 %). This well=
 (W32), which is located two kilometers north-west of the field's limit, pr=
oduced 21 million cubic feet/day during a test run.

<P>Another delineation well on the eastern edge of the Sisi field, also loc=
ated on the Mahakam permit, produced 26 million cubic feet / day on natural=
 gas during a test. =

<P>These results confirm TOTAL's growing importance as a major natural gas =
producer in Southeast Asia. =

Join the TOTAL DEBATE NOW! DOWN WITH SLORC AND BURMA TYRANNY!

Send your letters now : =

TOTAL  SA

--------------50F67CD750DF--