Statement of Adelle Lutz at Unocal

Adelle Lutz played Daw Aung San Suu Kyi in "Beyond Rangoon" and recently
testified in support of the Free Burma Act at a US Senate hearing.

Unocal Annual Meeting, June 3, 1996

Presentation of Item #3, Relating to Unocals' Statement of Principles

Mr. Beach, members of the board, fellow shareholders, my name is adelle
Lutz, I represent the Adrian Dominican Sisters, owners of 55,000 shares of
Unocal stock.  I am pleased to second this resolution today.

Unocal is indeed in conflict with its own code of conduct.  The Statement
of Principles begins with -- "Conduct business in a way that engenders
pride in our employees and respect from the world community."  This is not
possible to uphold while Unocal continues to invest in the regime of the
illegitimate military junta.  The Washington Post had an editorial last
week entitled THE BULLIES OF BURMA in which it was said of the SLORC "They
show their regime...to be worthy only of international contempt...As much
as South Africa under Apartheid, Burma deserves to be a Pariah until the
SLORC has given way."

Another Unocal principle -- "Improve the quality of life in the
communities where we do business."  Again, this is sheer fantasty if
Unocal is attempting to do it with the SLORC.  I quote the Washington Post
which singles out Unocal by name and then states "The structure of the
dictatorship ensures that much of the benefit of foreign investment goes
into the generals' pockets."  In 1988, the SLORC were down to their last
15 million.  Unocal is giving hundreds of millions of dollars to these
oppressors.  1/2 of the national budget goes to defense.  They are not at
war with their neighbors; they are waging war against their own people,
and Unocal is pouring money directly into that weapons coffer.

The code of conduct ends with -- "Be a good corporate citizen and a good
friend to the people of our host country."  The more than 42 million
people of Burma voted overwhelmingly to end military dictatorship.  Their
legitimately elected leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, with whom I have met, has
made it very clear that foreign investment will not benefit the people of
Burma.

Recently, Mr. Imle gave a statement to the Senate Banking Committee's
hearing on the Burma sanctions legislation at which I was also an invited
speaker.  He stated "Let me make one point very clear:  This project will
go forward with or without the active involvement of Unocal, of any other
American company."  He also stated "I have been approached by a leading
Asian corporation about possibly purchasing Unocal's share in this
project."

Some companies during WW II probably made the choice to build gas chambers
because if they didn't, someone else would.  Either you are in cahoots or
you are not.  You cannot have it both ways.

Unocal is at a decisive juncture as a corporation.  Would it rather be
singled out as aligning with oppressors or -- as having made a firm stand
for democracy, freedom and corporate leadership?

I ask for your support in passing this resolution.  Thank you.