New Interntionalist ASSK Interview

The June issue of The New Internationalist carries this interview of
Aung San Suu Kyi by John Pilger.  In fact, the theme of this special
issue is `Burma - a Cry for Freedom'.

Andy

ICON OF HOPE

AUNG SAN SUU KYI - Burma's elected leader  - was born in 1945, the
daughter of Burma's national hero Aung San. She was two years old when
he was assassinated, just before Burma gained the independence to
which he had dedicated his life. After her education in Rangoon, Delhi
and Oxford, she worked for the United Nations in New York and Bhutan.
She married an Englishman and spent several years raising a family in
England. Then in 1988 she returned to Burma to care for her dying
mother. Her return coincided with the outbreak of a spontaneous revolt
against 26 years of political repression and economic decline. Suu Kyi
quickly emerged as the most effective and articulate leader of the
movement and the party she founded, the National League for Democracy,
went on to win a colossal electoral victory in 1990. But the military
junta refused to transfer power as it had promised and until last year
kept her under house-arrest in Rangoon. From her home she now
organizes weekly political meetings - but she is as much at risk as
any other citizen in SLORC's Burma and the regime still finds ways of
restricting her movement and her contacts with the outside world. John
Pilger recently interviewed her in her Rangoon home.

JP: Three years ago an official of the regime said: 'You can forget
about Suu Kyi. She's finished.' Here you are, hardly finished. How do
you explain that? SK: I think it's because democracy is not finished
in Burma. Until we finish this course for democracy, none of us who
are involved in it will be finished.

JP:  Do you think the regime is as confident now as it was?

SK  It's difficult to judge. The authoritarian regime always takes
the attitude that 'we are totally in control and anybody who is in
opposition to us has no place in the country and they are finished'.
But what really impresses me is the courage of the people who have
already been in prison and who continue to work for democracy. They
know what it is like to be in a Burmese prison and they know that
they are liable to be put back there any day. And yet they do not
give up.  That's very inspiring. I always feel that even if only five
such people remain we will get democracy - and there are certainly
many more than five!

JP:  What is the democracy that you and your people want?

SK: Well, it's a very simple kind of democracy. We want
a system that will guarantee our rights so that we can live in
security; so that we do not have to wonder from day to day what will
happen to us if we do something that will annoy those in power. If
you asked an ordinary Burmese why they want democracy the answer will
probably be: 'I want to have the basic right to try to make a decent
living for myself without being frightened all the time '

JP: How can you reclaim the democracy that you won at the ballot box
from the uncompromising and brutal power that confronts you?

SK: We are not the first people to have had to face an
uncompromising, brutal power in the quest for freedom and basic human
rights. I think we have to depend chiefly on the will of our own
people for democracy. In Buddhism we are taught the four basic
ingredients for success: first you must have the will to want it;
then you must have the right kind of attitude; then you must have
perseverance; and then you must have wisdom. So we hope to combine
these four. The will of the people for democracy is there and many of
us have the right kind of spirit or attitude. A number of our people
have shown tremendous perseverance; and I hope we'll acquire wisdom
as we go along the way... But it still comes down to the fact that on
one side there is a power that has all the guns... I think it is
getting more difficult in this world to resolve things through
military means. The fact that the authorities are so keen on
attacking us in their newspapers indicates that they themselves are
not depending on guns alone...

JP: Well, they are clearly frightened of you...

SK: (Laughs) I think the age has passed when the gun can solve
problems and even the military authorities know that. Why are they
using the pen if they think the gun can solve all problems?

JP: Burma - with 40 per cent of its population consisting of ethnic
minorities - seems like an Asian Yugoslavia. How will the country be
united in the democracy that you plan?

SK: We have been disunited in Burma' because there's a tremendous
lack of trust between the, Burmans and the other ethnic groups and
among the ethnic groups themselves. In order, to build up trust there
has to be openness and that is why democracy is necessary. Yugoslavia
is a very good example of a country where there was not sufficient
openness to resolve the problems between the Serbs and the Croats.
They were not provided with a framework within which they could
discuss their differences and so they ended up shooting each other.
In Burma we badly need the kind of framework that will; allow us to
'talk about' our grievances with out killing each other. l do not
think there will ever be true unity, without democracy - as
Yugoslavia has proved. For more than 40 years nobody knew what was
going on there: under the surface. Because there was a strong
government keeping everyone in order we thought there was unity. But
unity comes from within, and unless we create a  framework for all of
us to talk very openly - and to generate trust we'll never get unity.
It's not a question of 'how will democracy ever, achieve unity?', but
'how will we ever achieve unity without democracy?'

JP: Is it not fair to describe your release from house arrest as an
entirely cynical decision by the regime to give itself a human face
in order to encourage foreign investment?

SK: I think perhaps they also miscalculated the situation. They may
have calculated that the National League for Democracy, was a spent
force and that releasing me was not going to make any difference.

JP: Should foreign investors come?

SK:  I do not think they should come yet - and I am speaking for them
as well as for the people of Burma. From the point of view of the
people of Burma, there is hardly any investment coming in now that
will provide employment and better standards of living for those who
really need help.  From the point of view of the investors, the basic
structures necessary for sustained economic growth do not yet exist
in Burma. Investing now may go against economic growth because it may
make the authorities think that the half-measures they have taken are
sufficient... but they are not and this will lead to social and
economic problems which will work against the interests of the
investors themselves.

JP: What do you say to foreign politicians who say that Burma is
heading towards democracy and therefore investment is justifiable?

SK: Investment is not justifiable now. But I am convinced that Burma
is heading towards democracy because it's what the people want - and
inspite of investment not because of it.

JP: A lot of Western politicians say that through commercial contacts
with democratic nations  the Burmese people will gain experience of
democratic principles.

SK: Not in the least. The so-called 'open-market economy' is only
open to some. Commercial contacts are certainly not going to help
Burmese people get democratic ideas. New investments help a small
elite get richer. I would have thought that this would work against
the very idea of democracy because the gap between rich and poor is
growing all the time.

JP: Should tourists stay away?

SK: Burma will always be here and when it is democratic it will be a
place that I think tourists will enjoy visiting. They will [then]
need have no qualms or guilt feelings.

JP:  You've become quite an extraordinary icon of hope. Is that a
burden?

SK: Yes and no. Yes, because if people base their hopes on you, then
of course it's a responsibility. No, because I've always said that I
can't do it alone and neither can the National League for Democracy.
We need the help of the people and we need the rest of the world. I
have always said I would do my best. I have never promised that will
get the people democracy.

JP:  No, but It's what people expect of you. The people I've spoken
to clearly regard you as something of a saint - almost a miracle
worker.

SK: I am not a saint and I think you'd better tell the world... I
would not like to be thought of as a saint...

JP:  What are your sinful qualities then?

SK:  I've got a short temper. I'd rather sit down and read than
really be engaged in public meetings and things like that...

JP: Your husband Michael Aris has written movingly of his early
commitment to you. Could you tell me something about that?

SK: It's not all that complicated. I just said, 'I am Burmese and
there may come a time when I have to go back to Burma and when that
time comes I would expect you to be understanding and sympathetic',
and he said, 'yes'. It was very simple - not a big negotiation
process at all...

JP:  But you couldn't - either of you - have foreseen the events that
were coming to you, or could you?

SK:  No. But I always had every intention of coming back to do what I
could for Burma because that's where my roots are. When I got the
phone call about my mother's illness it was a matter of coming home
and making all the practical arrangements necessary I had no time to
think of it as a 'day of reckoning'. I knew my mother's life was
probably coming to a close, but I did not know how long I would be in
Burma...

JP: Could you tell me about the first day you were placed under
house-arrest?

SK: There were a lot of people here. We were all in good humour...
There wasn't a scurry to burn incriminating material because we
didn't have any incriminating material. My two sons were here and I
remember them playing Monopoly with some of the students. The older
people sat around and talked and while the phone was still usable
made calls to their families... It was not unexpected and we just
thought, 'well, yes, this is it...' I thought I would be taken to NC
[the maximum security prison] and was rather disappointed when I was
left here and the others were taken away...

JP: During all those years when you were under house-arrest did you
ever waver in your resolve not to accept exile?

SK: No, of course I didn't. I had promised the people I would do
everything I could do to get democracy... So there was no question of
going into exile...

JP: What was the most difficult time for you personally during your
house arrest?

SK: There isn't any particular time that stands out... I was worried
for my colleagues, about our people out there when there was a lot of
repression ... And of course, I missed my family and I worried about
my sons very much... My youngest was only 12 and had to be put in
boarding school. But I would remind myself that the families of my
colleagues were much worse off, some were in prison, whereas I knew
my family was safe...

JP:  Were you able to keep in touch with Michael during that time?

SK:There were times when we were out of touch. The longest period was
two years and four or five months.

JP: No letters or anything during that time?

SK: No

JP:  No letters from the children?

SK: No

JP: Were you concerned about the impact this would have on your two
boys?

SK:  Yes, of course. It's very difficult for children to cope with a
situation like that. My youngest son is a very home-loving child.
He's not the sort who enjoys boarding-school life at all, but these
things had to be done...

JP: There were times when you did not have enough to eat. Is that
correct?

SK:  Yes, but I don't think of that as tremendous suffering. I
generally don't eat much anyway.  One does get weak and it's
inconvenient. I did worry about my heart because I had difficulty
breathing. I couldn't lie flat because I found it difficult to
breathe after I became very weak. But I think that's quite normal.

JP: Well, it's normal if you're not eating... You were cut off from
family, friends and colleagues; surrounded by a hostile force.
Weren't there times when you were actually terrified?

SK: No, I didn't feel hostile towards the guards or soldiers
surrounding me and I think fear comes from hostility. So I felt
quite relaxed...

JP: You hadn't been able to speak to your husband or sons for two
whole years. That must have produced an aloneness that in itself is
frightening, surely?

SK: Yes, well I didn't feel really alone because I had the radio,
you know. I listened to the radio five or six hours a day and that
kept me in touch with the rest of the world and of course I had my
books. And I think loneliness comes from inside. People who are free
and live in big cities often suffer from terrible loneliness...

JP: You've written about fear and fearlessness. Was there a point
during your house-arrest when you actually had to conquer fear?

SK:  No, not during my house-arrest, but when I was small. It was in
this house that I con-quered my fear of the dark.

JP: How did you conquer your fear of the dark?

SK:  By wandering about in the dark, at night, for about two weeks
running. In the end I got a bit bored with the whole idea.

JP:  During those days of house arrest what were the ordinary
pleasures you looked forward to?

SK:  I had a busy timetable, although this might seem strange. From
4.30 am when I got up to meditate right through until I went to bed
at 9 pm. There was always something to do with every hour. I liked
listening to music on the radio. I would look forward to continuing
with the books I was reading and, of course, meditation was very
calming and strengthening. I have never been a very athletic type and
so I didn't enjoy doing my exercises so much. But I did them
regularly after meditating.

JP: Burmese society is very male-dominated. How would you change it
if you were leading a democratic government here?

SK: People keep asking me about women's rights and I always find it
a little difficult to answer because the men in Burma have no rights
either. I feel that first of all we have to get basic rights for
everybody and then we have to attack this area. Women are
particularly discriminated against. It is clear that women do not
get what they deserve. There are very few women in the Civil Service,
for example.  You see very few women in high positions. And yet if
you look at medical school, where the brightest students go, about 50
to 60 per cent of students are girls. So girls are not lacking in
ability or education, but they don't get as far as they ought to.
Obviously these areas will have to be studied

JP:  Is Burma going to be free in your lifetime?

SK:  I can't tell what my lifetime is going to be so I can't answer
that question.

JP: All right, then. Will Burma be free within the foreseeable
future, let's say within the next ten years?

SK: I think so, yes.

JP:  What can people around the world do to help?

SK:  First, think about the situation in Burma. Then I would ask them
to study the UN General Assembly Resolution on Burma and to help
implement it. It's a good resolution: it calls for the early and full
restoration of democracy, for the acknowledgement of the will of the
people in the 1990 elections and for the full participation of the
people in the political life of Burma. And, of course, it calls for
the release of political prisoners and observation of basic human
rights.