Massachusetts Sanctions Bill Passes

Subject: Massachusetts Sanctions Bill Passes Senate

BURMA SANCTIONS BILL PASSES MASSACHUSETTS STATE SENATE

CONTACT:  Simon Billenness, Franklin Research and Development
=09=09(617) 423-6655, ext. 225
=09            Massachusetts State Rep. Byron Rushing (617) 722-2220
                  Massachusetts State Senator Lois Pines (617) 722-1639

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

BOSTON--June 5, 1996-- A tough "Selective Contracting" law targeting
companies doing business in the Southeast Asian dictatorship of Burma
passed the Massachusetts State Senate by a unanimous voice vote today.
The law is modeled on similar measures that targeted South Africa's
Apartheid system in the 1980's.

Bill H2833, sponsored by Rep. Byron Rushing, passed the Lower House last
July.  Now it goes directly to the desk of Gov. William Weld for signing.
"State purchasing restrictions helped end apartheid in South Africa" said
Rep. Rushing.  "Why not Burma?"

"We are proud to stand in solidarity with the brave democrats of Burma,
and are pleased to offer our support in this time of great need" said
State Sen. Lois Pines, a co-sponsor of the measure.

"All the Senators were so supportive, and referred to recent events in
Burma as strengthening their resolve" said Burmese refugee U Thi Han after
the vote, his voice shaking with emotion.  "Some companies considering
doing business in Burma will now think twice."

"Massachusetts has a multi-billion dollar budget" said investment analyst
Simon Billenness.  "Those billions of dollars are off limits to companies
doing business in Burma."

"Sometimes we get to do something good around here" said Sen Dianne
Wilkerson.

The Massachusetts bill would be the first state level Burma sanctions bill
in the US.  Six cities, including San Francisco and Oakland, have passed
similar measures, as has Alameda (CA) County.  Bi-partisan Burma sanctions
bills are also pending in the US House and Senate.

Unocal, Texaco, ARCO and PepsiCo have been targeted by activists who
support Burma=D5s democracy forces in calling for corporate withdrawal from
Burma.