Update on Massachusetts Burma Bill

MASSACHUSETTS BURMA BILL TO REACH GOVERNOR'S WELD'S DESK BY JUNE 14

ASK GOVERNOR WELD TO SIGN H2833 INTO LAW ! !

I would like to thank those of you who have already faxed, written and
called Governor Weld.  When I came into the office this morning, my fax file
included copies of letters to Governor Weld by U Kyaw Win and Ryan
Friedrichs. It made my day!

But we need to generate more letters. And soon, judging by the timeline of
the bill.

Timeline

Following the June 5 passage of the H2833 in the Massachusetts, the bill is
now on course to the desk of Governor Weld.

State Rep. Byron Rushing expects H2833 to actually reach Governor's Weld's
by Thursday, June 13.  By that date, we need dozens of letters of support on
Governor Weld's desk.

When the bill reaches the Governor's desk, he has ten days to take one of
four actions:

1.  Sign the bill
2.  Take no action and let the bill become law automatically
3.  Veto the bill
4.  Veto the bill but send back to the Massachusetts legislature an amended
version of the bill

We are not sure whether we have the two-thirds majority in both the House
and Senate to override a veto.

Background

Sponsored by state Rep. Byron Rushing, H2833 would effectively bar the
state's purchasing managers from buying goods or services from any company
doing business in Burma. The bill would put billions of dollars of state
purchasing power behind all of the boycotts of companies doing business in
Burma.

ASK GOVERNOR WELD TO SIGN H2833 INTO LAW !

If signed by the Governor, H2833 would be the FIRST state-wide Burma law and
the LARGEST in terms of purchasing power. This will be the most significant
Burma selective purchasing law passed this year.

PLEASE MAKE SURE GOVERNOR WELD HEARS FROM YOU BY JUNE 13 ! !

The letters can come from outside Massachusetts. (After all. Governor Weld
has, on occasion, exhibited aspirations for national office.)

FedEx, fax or call Governor Weld at:

Governor William Weld
State House
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Boston, MA 02133-1053

(617) 727-6250
(617) 727-9725 fax

*  Ask Governor to support the Burmese democracy movement by signing H2833
into law as soon as it reaches his desk.

*  Tell him that Nobel Peace Prize Laureate and Burmese democracy movement
leader Aung San Suu Kyi has specifically called on companies not to invest
in Burma at this time.

*  Stress the how the importance of H2833. Tell him that signing the bill
will give the Burmese military junta second thoughts about further cracking
down on the democracy movement.

*  Mention that no company headquartered in Massachusetts has any investment
in Burma.

*  Tell the Governor that it is a Republican, Senator Mitch McConnell (R,
Kentucky) who has taken the lead in sponsoring federal economic sanctions
legislation: the "Burma Freedom and Democracy Act" (S.1511).

*  Mention that six US cities have already enacted similar legislation. Ask
the Governor to make Massachusetts the first state in the nation to enact
legislation in support of the Burmese democracy movement.

*  If you are a Massachusetts voter, tell the Governor that his action on
H2833 will greatly determine how you will vote in his upcoming race for the
U.S. Senate.

Please send a copy of your letters (plus any replies) to:

Simon Billenness
Franklin Research & Development
711 Atlantic Avenue, Boston, MA 02111
(617) 423 6655 x 225