Re-try, re:: Not to be late for all (r)

>From: treved@xxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: Re-try, re:: Not to be late for all
>Conf: reg.burma
>Date: 06 Jun 1996 22:58:00

Thank you for taking a stand and taking the time to explain your posting.  I
stand corrected and apologise for my hasty, insensitive and ill considered
response to your original posting. I apologise to the Karen artist for my
offensive comment. I also reiterate his and every other voice having the
right to be heard and 'published' on the net.

I make no excuses for lack of awareness on the deeper issues in the KNU
leadership and bow to your knowledge of the micro-politics of the KNU.  As
you suggested I went back to read the postings "Are KNU days numbered?" and
Michael Beer's response to it.

It is cause for grave concern that criticism of the KNU leadership is
carried out in this forum as it indicates, for me, that the the KNU
leadership does not make room for it in its organisation.  I cannot see how
the fight for democracy by KNU can succeed if diverse and dissenting voices
cannot be accomodated democratically within their organisation.  The
criticism of the current leadership seems warranted, given the points made
in your article.  These voices and those of the younger generation are the
voices of the future leaders.  Can the KNU leaders exercise their eldership
to nurture and prime their successors?  I cannot envisage a future if this
challenge is not met.

>>4.  The writer is actually calling for better unity among the opposition
>>- do you even know how many opposition groups there are and how
>>incredibly difficult it is for them to communicate ?  This is an often
>>heard anxiety in the wider opposition, especially given a few
>>generations of mutual mistrust and the particular (and different)
>>histories common in schools in both Burma and Karen state.

I have some idea of the diversity of groups in the opposition.  I support
the call for unity as anyone who is opposed to and fighting SLORC would.
Nevertheless, I cannot see unity happening by calling for it.  Internal
conflicts have to be addressed and consensus established, even if it is a
temporary.  There is always going to be a need for on-going dialog.

>>Don't, please, stifle the voice of the ordinary people now,
>>and inhibit the other changes which need to take place just as much.
>>Burma is not, never has been or will be, so black-and-white, for you to
>>shout 'SLORC-ite' at anyone who disagrees with you.  Show us, and the
>>Karen people, that you're taking it more seriously than that.
>>Please criticise !  This response or anything from the 'Zone', but
>>please remember, the voice of these younger generations  _to_the_world_
>>_outside_ is like a child learning to speak or write.  You can help it
>>to grow or you can stamp on it.

You are right.  I don't expect to see Burma's rich and diverse
nations/states agreeing on all issues.  I believe that this diversity is the
true richness of Burma.
Once again I apologise for my insensitive remark and hope and pray for
relief for the Karen and for all those who suffer the burden of SLORC.