Burma Fast Press Release, Mon Resto

Subject: Burma Fast Press Release, Mon Restoration Council,June 7, 1996

                                        Monland Restoration Council [MRC]
                                   Struggle for Mon National
Self-Determination
----------------------------
                                               PRESS RELEASE
                                          The White House, Washington, D.C.

                                                                          7th
June, 1996

We, members of the Monland Restoration Council, join the Democratic Students
Organization (USA) together with the Free Burma Coalition (FBC) and begin
today our fast in front of the White House in Washington, D.C. to protest
against the SLORC;s recent arrest of NLD's members and US corporations doing
business in Burma.

It is reported the Burma's military regime known as the State Law and Order
Restoration Council (SLORC) recently arrested 256 members of the Mational
League for Democracy (NLD), a politicak party led by Aung San Suu Kyi, 1991
Nobel Peace Prize winner.  In the May 1990 general election, NLD won a
landslide victory gaining over 80% the seats in the  parliament.  However,
the SLORC has refused to transfer political power to the people's
representatives. Various types of human rights violations, including forced
labor, forced relocation of villages, rapes, and tortures continue.  The
SLORC is reported to be one of the world's most brutal regimes.

Major US corporations such as TEXACO, ARCO, UNOCAL, and Pepsi-Cola are
continuing to support Burma's regime by investing millions of dollars in
Burma.  Texaco and other oil corporations provide one of the largest sources
of income for the SLORC.  Texaco is drilling for gas in the gulf of Martaban-
Yandana field- 260 miles south of the capital city of Rangoon; its
participation in this natural gas venture is supporting the SLORC to remain
in power and to continue oppressing the people of Burma.

  The May 1990 general election has proved that we are a civilizes nation
determined to leading ourselves into a free society. But Burma's military
regime is a giant obstacle on our way to our goal, democracy.  Our nation has
suffered long enough under the rule of a military dictatorship.  Time has
already come for the world's leading democracies to remove any form of
dictatorship from the earth.

We with great concerns for our nation urgently call for the United States
government to:

1. Introduce a proposal that will deny membership of Burma's military regime
at the United Nations until democracy is restored in Burma.

2. Impose a total economic sanction on Burma.

3. Urge Burma's military regime to begin negotiations with representatives of
the NLD and ethnic nationalities.

                                                                      Central
Committee
----------------------------