Students Statement on Repression in

Subject: Students Statement on Repression in Burma

     DEMOCRATIC BURMESE STUDENTS ORGANIZATION (USA)
        Post Office Box 91, Rockville, MD 20851

      Statement on the Continuing Repression in Burma

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 12, 1996
SUM-001-96

	We,  the Democratic Burmese Students' Organization, reaffirm our
commitment to uphold solidarity with the people of Burma who are currently
standing firm for the democratic changes in the country.  We unreservedly
condemn the repressive acts of SLORC in arresting two hundred students in
addition to the continuing detention of elected  representatives.   We are
also concerned by the prospect of renewed repression in the form of direct
confrontation between the security  forces and the unarmed civilians.
Therefore,  we call for resolving the current national crisis in a peaceful
manner and the holding of a political dialogue inclusive of all parties
concerned, which has now become an agenda for the very survival of our
country.

	Here, we humbly propose  the United States Government, the Congress,
the local governments, the NGOs and other international organizations to
consider the following measures to prevent further violence in Burma:

-  Establishment of  multilateral sanctions on Burma through the United
Nations mechanisms or regional alliances towards effective pressure  on the
SLORC to prevent further deterioration of the human rights situation;

-  Visa restrictions on officials of the SLORC government and the Armed
Forces of Burma and deny SLORC  crucial access to international capital and
support;

-  Downgrading of diplomatic relations with the SLORC unless the SLORC
accepts a meaningful dialogue in resolving the crisis;

-  Official boycott on the "Visit Myanmar Year" organized by the SLORC
through the means of slave labor and forced relocation in the tourism projects;

-  Unconditional release of all political prisoners including the recent
detainees.

	In  accordance with our obligations, we pledge to intensify our
endeavors in  mobilizing our resources to act on the following tasks until we
see the implementation of the above measures.

-  We shall continue to hold a relay fasting until June 19, 1996 when we
will celebrate  the 51st birthday of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi while reviewing the
unfolding developments inside the country;

-  We shall mobilize our engagement through various medium to ask
governments, especially the United States Government, which has true national
interest of terminating the drug flow caused by  lack of accountable
government and political instability, as well as promoting the democratic
values that America has defended for centuries. We will seek international
campaigns in coordination with concerned students  from various parts of the
world to act locally through a chain of networks  and internet to advance
awareness of the critical actions on Burma.

Keeping in line with  the above considerations, we welcome the initiative
taken by the United States  Government in sending special envoys to Asia to
facilitate an international coalition dedicated for the democratic changes in
Burma.  We deem that, continuing support of international forces in the cause
of Burmese democracy is very crucial, as we stress that the key now in
meeting the challenge posed by the Burma crisis is for international pressure
to remain steadfast and enforced.

Everyone  of us, each day of this ongoing crisis in our country, has held out
hope for a peaceful solution.  We will continue to assist our internal forces
in search of a way to end this crisis without further conflict. The present
crisis poses us both challenges and opportunities and we will accept our duty
to realize all our hopes comes to fruition. A dawn is rising over Burma and
the day shall come to us.

         #  #  #