dr. sein win speech at suu birthday

Subject:       dr. sein win speech at suu birthday anniv

Opening Address by Prime Minister Dr. Sein Win
At the Event
To Mark the 51st Birthday of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
Room 562, Dirksen Senate Office Building
June 19, 1996

Ladies and Gentlemen:

We are gathered here today to celebrate a very special occasion--the 51st birthday of
Nobel Peace Laureate Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.  I see familiar faces around -- faces of
people who have been friends of Burma over the years.  They are the people who have
embraced the cause of restoring democracy and freedom to Burma as their very own
and have gone out of their way to help the people of Burma.  I take this opportunity
to say, on behalf of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, my cousin, thank you, thank you, thank
you all.  Without your help, the struggle of our people would have been much more
difficult.

As many of you are aware, the political situation in Burma has worsened because the
military junta has instituted measures that allow harsh prison terms against democracy
activists. Everyone in the democracy movement, from Daw Aung San Suu Kyi to
someone who comes to listen to her speech can be imprisoned between 5 and 20 years
if the generals decide to do so.

Knowing Aung San Suu Kyi well, I can say that this would not deter her from
continuing her work for democracy.  She has never been known to give up a good
cause just because there is a personal risk involved.  Also knowing the Burmese
people well, I can say with certainty that they will continue supporting her.  The 4,000
to 10,000 people attending her weekend speeches despite the blatant threat from the
military proves my point.

I am also happy to say that the international community, particularly the democratic
nations, have been strong in their support for Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the
democracy movement of Burma.   When SLORC began to crackdown on the elected
representatives from the National League for Democracy and its supporters, the
international community rallied behind Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.

In this light, I wish to thank the Free Burma Coalition which started a grassroots
campaign here in the United States and has now spread all over the world.  It has been
unparalleled in helping Burma. Burmese and American students from the Free Burma
Coalition decided to stage a relay hunger strike beginning May 23 to express their
solidarity with the people in Burma and to show the U.S. lawmakers especially the co-
sponsors of the Burma Freedom and Democracy Act that they enjoy grassroots
support in their call for economic sanctions.

A total of 70 students from Stanford to high schools in Madison, Wisconsin, from
Philadelphia to New York undertook this noble act of self-sacrifice for others'
freedom.  The news of the Fast for a Free Burma broadcast into Burma over the BBC,
VOA, and DVB have moved the people inside and gave them a glimpse of hope in the
darkest moments. Mission accomplished these students have decided to end their fast
on this important day for Daw Aung Aung San Suu Kyi and Burma.

On a graver note, we have received word that the SLORC is already making plans to
crack down on Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the democracy movement.   They are
planning to withdraw security personnel from weekend fora in front of Daw Suu's
home and create an incident.  They are also coercing Daw Suu's neighbors to complain
anout the weekend speeches.   All of these are designed to take action against
democracy activists.

Yet, only two days ago, at a meeting with his Thai counterpart, the SLORC foreign
minister gave assurances that the military junta was trying to enter into a dialogue with
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. This was also the very person who was denying that any
arrests were being made in Burma while the military was rounding up over 260 elected
NLD representatives and other activists.  Experience have taught us not to trust the
military junta or its officials.

The message I am trying to get across on this auspicious occasion is that the military
junta is bent on retaining power and will only give it up when left with no options.  We
need concerted action from the international community to persuade the junta that it is
in its best interest to negotiate.

In this connection, I wish to thank all the Senators and the Representatives who are
sponsoring and supporting the Burma Freedom and Democracy Act of 1995 and also
the Administration for sending special envoys to seek out a common policy to work
out national reconciliation in Burma.   Coupled with an unwavering determination of
the Burmese democracy movement and the assistance from other countries, I am
confident that the initiatives taken by the United States will help Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi and the National League for Democracy to attain democracy for Burma.

Please join me in wishing Daw Aung San Suu Kyi happiness and success in her quest
for freedom and democracy in Burma.