Congressman Tom Lantos msg to Daw S

Subject: Congressman Tom Lantos msg to Daw Suu

Message from Congressman Tom Lantos to Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's
birthday celebration at Dirksen Senate Office Building on
June 19, 1996.

The message was read by wife of Congressman Tom Lantos,
Annette Lantos, who also praised Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's
outstanding example to the Burmese and the others and
wished the Burmese people success in pursuing democracy.

///text of message//

 C o n g r e s s   o f   t h e   U n i t e d   S t a t e s
		House of Representatives
		  Washington, DC 20515
	Statement by Congressman Tom Lantos
Commemorative Event Marking the 51st Birthday
	   of Burma's Human Rights Leader
		   Daw Aung San Suu Kyi

		 June 19, 1996

Today, we are happy to celebrate the 51st birthday of one of
the world's most outstanding human rights leaders, the 1991
Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.

Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi personifies the dreams and hopes of the
Burmese people for freedom and democracy.  The Nobel
Committee cited her as "one of the most extraordinary
examples of civil courage in recent decades" and "an
important symbol in the struggle against oppression."  Ms.
Aung San Suu Kyi's immeasurable and enduring commitment to
human rights and democracy have long inspired people beyond
the boundaries of Burma in their own struggle for these
universal goals.

In a blatant breach of all international standards, Burma's
ruthless military government nullified the victory of Aung
San Suu Kyi's party, the National League for Democracy, in
the 1990 elections and put her under house arrest.  When the
ruling military junta finally released Aung San Suu Kyi from
her six year house arrest in July 1995, she immediately
resumed her political activities.  Her leadership, vision
and popularity can never be confined to the walls of any
kind of prison -- a lesson the Burmese military junta had to
learn. When Aung San Suu Kyi recently called all democrats
for a meeting to commemorate the sixth anniversary of the
election betrayal, a helpless Burmese government could only
react by arresting over 200 of her supporters, demonstrating
to the world how worthy this regime is beneath contempt.

My wife Annette and I wish Aung San Suu Kyi all the
happiness and health on her birthday.  We all pray for her
strength to continue her efforts for her country.

In deep friendship,

signed: xxx
Tom Lantos
Member of Congress