No Subject Given

To: reg.burma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 15:39:59 +0000
Subject: Statments on 7th July : ABSL (India)

          STATEMENT ON 34TH ANNIVERSARY OF 7TH JULY

7th July 1996 marks the 34th anniversary of "the first ever
destruction of democratic structure" in Burma. On the 7th July
of 1962, the murderous Burma Army led by notorious the then
Lt.Col. Seing Lwin bombed the students' union mansion of Rangoon
University of Students Union (RUSU), leaving many parotic
students dead mercilessly. More than 200 students who happened
to be inside the building were killed and hundreds other wounded.
Though the students were peaceful holding books and pen, Gen. Ne
Win, at the night of bombing, announced from Rangoon Radio that
the military junta had to take a drastic action because they (the
junta) had no alternative but to destroy and kill the students
only. "In the future, if anyone dares to test our strength, we
are ever ready to face them sword against sword, spear against
spear", said the General Ne Win.

The present military government, notoriously known as the State
Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) has been manoeuvering
to have good relations with its immediate neighboring countries
through initiating trans-border trades, culture-exchange
programmes, foreign investments in Burma and etc... Recently, it
is reportedly announced that SLORC is sending "a sport team",
its selective football team, to play with the team of Manipur
State of India on 7th July in Chandel District of Manipur State.

We, members of ABSL strongly boycott this football match
between Burma and Manipur. Although we support the peoples-to-
peoples relationship which has been existing for centuries
between the two countries, Indian Government should not, by any
means, extend any kind of government-to-government
relationship with the SLORC regime.  At this moment, India, being
the largest democratic country of the world, should not have any
tie with the SLORC which is an illegal and dictatorial military
regime.

However, we clearly would like to state that we will NOT resort
any violent methods or means to show our disgust against the
football match. Any violent action which might have occurred in
the football match is not totally concerned with the ABSL.

The SLORC is known to be a kind of government which used to set
up a trap and let democratic forces of Burma fall into it. For
instance, it triggered off a bomb at a crowded public place and
then it would be declared that "so and so opposition party, so
and so ethnic armed group, etc.. had responsibility for the
explosion". Through this kind of dirty and odd trick, the agents
of SLORC try to eliminate its opposition groups shamelessly.
Since SLORC has come to the power through killings and cheating
the people of Burma, it won't be any different for them to use
the same methods in order to hold onto power as long as
possible.

Therefore, we, members of ABSL, appeal to the Indian authorities
concerned to cancel the match unconditionally. The ABSL also
announces that it will boycott, by any political means possible,
this match if it is not called off. Both the teams of two
countries will be blocked and boycotted by the common citizens
of India and Burma. The ABSL will also launch a protest
demonstration, on 7th July, with the support of local students
and people in Manipur State of India.

                              Central Committee
                              All Burma Students League