7 July Statement

ABSDF Statement on the historic day of Seven July

 July 7 is the historic day on the page of Burma history on which the
students bravely pioneered  the
struggle against the Burmese military dictatorship sacrificing their
lives for the sake of the people. In
other words, students as a whole, since this day, have been alerted to
spearhead against militarism in
Burma. Today has already been 34th anniversary day when our brothers
students martyrs sacrificed
their lives being brutally killed by the military dictators.

Military regime that came in power through military coup from democratic
government and has been
ruling the people under fear since March 2, 1962, has always restricted
and intentionally crackdown
the every students and their activities that have always stand by the
people and fought against
suppression of military dictatorship.

Started on 6 July 1962 there emerged the students protests led by Rangoon
university students but they
were forcefully put down by the army. On July 7, over 130 students who
were demonstrating in the
students union building in the campus of Rangoon university were
dynamited and brutally killed by
the army. The historic students union building were destroyed into
pieces, at the same time remains of
the fallen martyrs of students were also scattered on the ground and the
campus of the Rangoon
university was also redden with blood. 7 July students accident was
merely a blood-bath but military
could not suppress the students' commitment of going on fighting against
the militarism. Moreover,
the punishment of arrest, torture and imprisonment can harm only the
bodies of students but it can not
crush the spirit of the fighting peacock of revolutionary students.

During the time of struggle for independence the historic role of the
students who sacrificed in the
battles were brightened in dignity as well as during the period of
struggle against military dictatorship
after 1962  sacrifice of lives, sweat and blood of the brother students
have been touchstone in Burma
history. With the spirit born in 7 July, commitment of the students
during the accident of U
Thant(1974) and accident of the centenary of Thakhin Kodawhmine
(1976)were vivid evidence.

Adhering to the commitment of 7 July of the students in generation, today
students of new generation
have fought against military regime and the popular uprising of 8.8.88
emerged. Having actively
participated the old students of 1962, 1974 and 1976 as well as entire
people of Burma in this
uprising, it earned the international intention. It was also able to made
the people aware widely of
lack of democracy and human rights under the military regime in Burma.
Furthermore, commitments
to fighting against the military dictatorship were firmly developed.

But neo-dictators, the lackeys of those committed the bloodbath of 7
July, carried out coup detat again
on September 18, 1988 and followed suit in arrest, torture, killing and
threat against the people
including students. In this coup, hundreds of thousands of the students
and people had to sacrifice
their lives.

No matter what kind of suppression they faced, we students had to go on
fighting against military
dictatorship with clear cut spirit as fighting peacocks were never
defeated to the enemies with
unbowed head and upright chest. We today students hand

in hand with our old brother students have always been going on
fighting,  bearing in mind the spirit
of 7 July, against military dictatorship  in several means inclusive of
underground and arm struggle.

We ABSDF would seriously like to urge  the comrades students in fighting
for democracy in Burma,
bearing in mind the spirit of 7 July to rise the fighting peacock flag
highest disregarding the
difficulties we encountered toward our victorious goal together with the
people,
- to retain the honored students history that has been used to sacrifice
for the people
- to go on fighting against military dictatorship for good that has
always hindered   	democracy
and human rights
- to support and surround Daw Aung San Suu Kyi who has been demanding
political dialogue at all
time so that national reconciliation can be found that is essential for
genuine inter peace

* May the spirit of 7 July last
* Militarism must be failed
* Democracy struggle must be successful.

					Central Committee
					ABSDF (Dawn Gwin)
Date:  July 7, 1996

 .