HEINEKEN PULLS OUT

Burma Centrum Netherland News (BCNN)

Amsterdam, July 10, 1996
Heineken-Press release (translation from the Dutch original by
BCN, with a little touching up by David Arnott)

HEINEKEN ANNOUNCES DECISION TO LEAVE MYANMAR

Heineken N.V has decided to end its business activities in
Myanmar (former Burma). The beer-brewer will stop its
involvement in Myanmar Brewery Ltd. This was made known by the
Members of the Board of Heineken N.V. this afternoon.

Heineken entered this market one and a half year ago for
commercial reasons. "Since that time public opinion on
investing in this market has changed in such a way, that
[continued involvement] could have negative effects on the
Heineken-brand and on the reputation of our company",
according to Mr. K Vuursteen, Chairman of the Board, today.
"Heineken traditionally attaches great value to its
responsibility towards society in innumerable markets
around the world. On the basis of the changed circumstances,
we have reassessed the situation and have come to the
conclusion that we can no longer accomplish this goal [of
social responsibility]", said Mr Vuursteen.

The formal decision was made on the 30th of June, after it was
established that the general interests of Heineken could be
undermined if this project was continued. The partner in
Myanmar was informed on July 4, after which talks were held on
the consequences out of this decision.

BCN is onafhankelijke stichting. Doel: Nederlandse samenleving
informeren over Burma. Het initieert en co-ordineert
aktiviteiten die democratisering en duurzame ontwikkeling
bevorderen. Het geeft een positieve bijdrage aan een
constructieve dialoog tussen de diverse groeperingen.

BCN
Paulus Potterstraat 20
1071 DA AMSTERDAM
THE NETHERLANDS