SLORC: Myanmar Alin article, July 8

 MYANMAR ALIN Article by Shwe Day Maung: "One Just Doesn't Understand",
in Burmese, July 8, 1996, p. 4

[Translated Excerpt] I am an employee and a Myanmar [Burmese] who loves
his country.  I noticed recently from reading the newspapers what Daw Suu
Kyi, who lives in Myanmar [Burma], was doing and what her objectives were
in looking to the West.  Daw Suu Kyi, who is the daughter of a national
hero, is not practicing what she preaches. [passage omitted on
reiterating 1988 disturbances] I don't understand why she wants to
disturb the present stable situation, creating ripples on the surface of
calm waters.  From the employees' point of view, they observe the SLORC's
[State Law and Order Restoration Council] development and construction
activities -- building schools, bridges, roads, and hospitals.  No one
can deny there is progress, and those who deny this are only fooling
themselves.  One thing is sure: the progress must be viewed nationally,
because even an angel could not satisfy a man's wishes [Burmese saying].
Although successive governents have engaged in development works, I think
it is more prominent in the SLORC era because of the untiring efforts of
the SLORC leaders.  The SLORC has made remarkable progress, amidst
various difficulties, in just seven or eight years compared to the 20 ot
30 years of other governments.  Daw Suu Kyi.does not say anything good
about this.  What is the matter?  I don't understand.

Different classes of society exist in any country and those who work
should enjoy the fruits of their labors.  How can there be equality when
the fingers on one hand are not equal?  Daw Suu Kyi, in your party are
your rights and privileges the same as those of other party members?  I
listen, study, and analyze Daw Suu Kyi's weekend speeches and feel one
should not adopt an attitude of sour grapes; one should be constructive
instead of destructive; it is better to give advice on the country's
needs rather than seek gains from human rights and democracy.  Daw Suu
Kyi was coerced into entering the political arena during the 1988
disturbances.  What did Daw Suu Kyi do for the benefit of the country
after that?  Apply self-criticism.  Merely shouting for democracy and
human rights is not the answer.
You say it is for the country; it is for Myanmar.  But when you meet
foreign organizations and ]ournalists you call for economic sanctions on
Myanmar, urge tourists not to visit Myanmar, and discourage foreign
investment.  Are you doing these because you love Myanmar or what are you
expecting?
I am a Myanar national born in Myanmar's delta region.  I became an
employee to serve my country and to fulfill my social needs and I try to
help my country in any way I can.  I will not betray the country that has
fed me, where I grew up.

-Daw Suu Kyi was also born in Myanmar of Myanmar parents.  Leaving your
marriage aside, you grew up in Myanmar and received a Nobel Prize
relating to Myanmar -- I don't know why they gave it to you.  You also
received a lot of other degrees, awards, and prizes.  Does Daw Suu Kyi
really love Myanmar?  If you really love Myanmar, what have you done for
the country and the people?  Have you served the country?  Have you
fulfilled your responsibilities?  Is shouting for democracy and human
rights expressing your love for the country?

I have seen the SLORC's development activities.  If Daw Suu Kyi doesn't
agree with the SLORC's work, Daw Suu Kyi should do something with all her
prize money for social development -- education, health, and religion --
of the country and the people.  What have you done?  Do you have any
plans in this area?  What assistance have you given?

Can assistance given to convicted felons and the families of prisoners be
considered good for the country?  Does helping felons mean democracy?  In
fact, I should ask these questions at Daw Suu Kyils roadside weekend
meetings, but I have kept them to myself because I feel my precious
questions are not worth asking at the meeting.

In the view of employees, Daw Suu Kyi, the person who urged her followers
to show discipline to express their love for the country, is creating
disturbances and encouraging felons.  Does a Nobel laureate's status mean
giving roadside speeches?  When I think about it, I just don't
understand.

End text.