No Subject Given

To: burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 1996 22:37:51 +0000
Subject: Suu Kyi foresees dramatic changes in Myanmar
CC: dvb@xxxxx
Return-receipt-to: [email protected]

                                   The Asian Age (14th July 1996)
                        Suu Kyi foresees dramatic changes in Myanmar
                       =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D=
 =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D

Yangon, July 13: Pro-democracy leader, Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi, has predicted=

dramatic change in Myanmar in her lifetime but offer few clues about her n=
ext
move against the military regime. The small clique of generals that rules
Myanmar ho have recently arrested and intimidated many of Ms. Suu Kyi=92s
followers, and she wonder if she would be imprisoned next.

=93Perhaps they are waiting for the right time,=94 she said in an intervie=
w with the
Associated Press. After two months of tension, another stalemate appear to=
 have
been reached between Ms. Suu Kyi  and State Law and Order Restoration
Council (SLORC) which runs the country.

Few are predicting which will take the next major step, or what it will be=
 .
The steely, Ms. Suu Kyi, widely known as the lady, =93made I clear that sh=
would remain in Myanmar, aim for dialogue with the generals and accept los=
ses
of her followers as inevitable causalities of revolution.=94

Commenting on official media reports last week that the military would
compromise with democratic forces if she left Myanmar, Ms. Suu Kyi said:
=93when you consider the number of promises SLORC has made and broken,
we are not interested. It=92s just a ploy.=94

While otherwise  repressing dissident, the military has allowed Ms. Suu Ky=
i to
hold weekend rallies outside her lakeside home and to voice criticism whic=
would earn other Myanmarnese long-jail terms. Her international stature - =
she
won the 1991 Nobel Peace Prize and wide-spread domestic support probably
account for this. But analysts don=92t discount drastic action against her=
 if the
generals feel their positions are being threatened.

=93We never announce our next move.... but we have to carry on with our pa=
rty
work. It is not as if e sit and wait to see what=92s happening with SLORC,=
=94 she
said.

Breaking an earlier stalemate in May, Ms. Suu Kyi=92s National League for
Democracy (NLD) announced and then went through with plans to hold a
conference to bring together candidates who won 1990 election. SLORC
countered by arresting 273 of her followers and reportedly intimidating at=
 least
14 party members into resignation. Many of those arrested have since been
released but Ms. Suu Kyi said that 45 of the 1990 election winners remaine=
behind bars. These things are inevitable in any kind of revolution. You ca=
nnot
achieve great changes with out some causalities,=94 she said of those who =
have
defected from her party ranks.

She said well within her lifetime a very different Myanmar would emerge
despite the fact that the current regime has clung to power since crushing=
pro-democracy uprising she led in 1998. (AP)
=3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D=
 =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D

                                    The Times of India (14th July 1996)
                                         It=92s  still Burma for Suu Kyi
                                         =3D  =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =
=3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D

When Indian foreign minister I.K. Gujral attends the extended ASEAN
meeting  in Jakarta next week, one of the most controversial issues will b=
Myanmar (or Burma), and how the outside world react towards it.

Essentially Mr. Gujral will be landing in Jakarta as the struggle between =
the
Burmese irresistible force, the petite but powerful Aung San Suu Kyi, and =
the
Myanmarnese immovable object, the military which calls itself the State La=
and Order Restoration Council (SLORC), reaches fresh levels of intensity.

While =93Myanmar=94 is used colloquially to signify the whole country, its
 official use was decreed by SLORC when it prolonged itself in power after=
 the
1990 general election, which SLORC itself had helped   organise, and which=

resulted in a never-honoured landslide win over Aung San Suu Kyi=92s Natio=
nal
League for Democracy (NLD). While =93Burma=94 indicates only one of the na=
tions=92
ethnic groups, and it is a remainder of the unfulfilled pursuit of the nat=
ional unity
since independence in 1948, Aung San Suu Kyi still uses it, since for her =
to use
=93Myanmar=94 would be to accept the dictates of an illegitimate governmen=
t.

 The fact that Slorc sees itself as irremovable has manifest itself recent=
ly in
several ways. The decile and totally controlled Myanmar press has been cal=
ling
for the banning of all magazines still using the offending word =93Burma=94=