Reuter: SLORC Wants Advice on Democ

Subject: Reuter: SLORC Wants Advice on Democracy Shift

  SLORC Wants Advice on Democracy Shift

    MANILA, July 17 (Reuter) - Burmese officials have asked Manila for
advice on how the Philippines was able to shift from dictatorship to
democracy, President Fidel Ramos said on Wednesday.
     "We have...received their highest officials...and on their query tried
to tell them how we transitioned from a dictatorship to democracy...with
full political freedoms," Ramos said at his weekly press conference.
     "We gave them all kinds of materials to help them," Ramos said. He did
not name the officials.
     Foreign diplomats have credited Filipinos with setting an example to
the world on restoring democracy when they ousted the late dictator
Ferdinand Marcos in a "people power revolt" in 1986 that drove him and his
family into exile in Hawaii.
     A small group of about 300 soldiers launched the revolt but won the
support of hundreds of thousands of civilians who blocked pro-Marcos tanks
advancing on the rebels. Roman Catholic church leaders also backed the
uprising.
     Ramos, replying to a question, said countries geographically near
Burma could initiate efforts to promote a settlement between Burma's
military rulers and dissidents headed by opposition leader Aung San Suu
Kyi.
     "Those closer to the problem, those that have had historical problems
with Burma...maybe they can provide the lead action and we will be happy to
support," Ramos said, naming Thailand in particular.
  REUTER
KT
ISBDA