NCUB STATEMENT ON THE BOMB EXPLOSIO

Subject: NCUB STATEMENT ON THE BOMB EXPLOSION IN RANGOON

	N A T I O N A L   C O U N C I L   O F   T H E   U N I O N
			O F   B U R M A   ( N C U B)

	NCUB STATEMENT ON THE BOMB EXPLOSION AT THE SLORC'S BILLBOARD
	ERECTED IN FRONT ON THE EMBASSY OF THE UNITED STATES IN RANGOON

The following is the NCUB's response to SLORC's accusation that the bomb
explosion at the propaganda billboard erected in front of the Embassy of the
United States on Merchant Road in Rangoon, was the work of so-called
subversive elements.

1. The SLORC is facing a dilemma as it has refused to hold talks  with the NLD,
led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, and other political organizations which are
trying to solve Burma's political problems through peaceful means.

2. As the debate over the imposition of trade sanctions on the SLORC gains
ever greater media attention and public support around the world, the
military regime is afraid that the political movement inside the country
will increase in response to this mounting pressure from the international
community.

The SLORC is also being criticized for the arrest of NLD representatives and
students, for the continued use of forced labor and portering, and for the
imposition of unjust laws on Burma's democracy leader Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
in the wake of NLD's boycott against the SLORC's National Convention.
Additionally it has received further condemnation from a number of EU
countries for the unexplained death of Mr. James Leander Nichols in Insein
Prison.

3. The SLORC is very worried that the worsening political, social and economic
conditions within Burma if left unsolved will strengthen the political
movements that oppose them.

It is blatantly obvious that the SLORC is attempting to portray the activities
of the non-violent political movements for democracy as acts of terrorism in
order to justify violent suppression of their opposition and thus preserve
their hold on power indefinitely.

4. This is the work of a clique of military officers who do not wish to work
for the prosperity of the country, and who do not wish to uphold the
dignity of the armed forces. We would therefore like to urge patriotic
soldiers within the army to join forces with the people to build a new
democratic Burma.

5. We NCUB hereby state that we believe that the bomb explosion at the
billboard that bore the SLORC's propaganda slogan 'Oppose the stooges of
foreigners', erected in Maha Bandoola Park in front of the Embassy of the
United States was the work of the military regime itself and not that of
the organizations that are affiliated with the NCUB.

National Council of Union of Burma (NCUB)
Date: July 15, 1996