No Subject Given

To: burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 17:36:49 +0000
Subject: Asean Welcomes Burma As Observer

The Indian Express ( 21 th July, 1996 )
Junta=92s One-Day Truce With Suu Kyi Breaks Off
=3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D=
 =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D

Paper Blasts Suu Kyi for mixed blood children
Rangoon, July 20: The military regime on Saturday attacked pro democracy l=
eader Aung San
 Suu Kyi for marrying an Englishman and giving birth to two children of mi=
xed blood, ending
a one-day truce at state ceremony to honor her assassinated father.

Wearing a black shawl and sarong, Ms. Suu Kyi laid flowers on Friday at th=
e Mausoleum of
Gen. Aung San, Burma=92s ,independence hero, on the 49th anniversary of hi=
s death,
commemorated as Martyrs Day.

The state-controlled press, which reflects the views of the government, ma=
de no mention of
the 1991 Nobel Peace Prize laureate in back page stories on the event, tho=
ugh some carried a
picture of her on inside pages.

But an opinion piece referring to Aung San a =93Bogyoke=94, or General, ap=
peared under the
pseudonym. =93Touchstone=94 to castigate her daughter as a spy betraying h=
is struggle that freed
Burma from British rule.

The article said the Aung San had been assassinated at the hands of the Br=
itish, yet his daughter
had married an Englishman, Tibet Scholar Michael Aris. The couple have to =
boys. Ms. Suu Kyi
last saw her family last Christmas.

The article said; Aung San Suu Kyi, the daughter of Bogyoke Aung San, had =
her blood mixed
with that of an Englishman and gave birth to two half-castes. It Bogyoke A=
ung San had not been
assassinated , Suu Kyi would have possessed Myanmar psyche after receiving=
 the love of her
father in his arms..

In reality, Ms. Suu Kyi has been in the Englishman=92s arms. =93Holding he=
r spouse, the Englishman,
in high esteem, she is now here as a fifth columnist, as her father said,=94=
 the article read. =93She is
breaking the big drum as she cannot get the main role which she, as a stoo=
ge of the imperialists or
a power crazy person, wants.=94

The article paid tribute to Aung San and pledged to =93uproot any external=
 destruction who are
interfering in internal affairs, any imperialist and any internal ax-handl=
e pessimists.=94

Ms. Suu Kyi was scheduled to give her customary weekend address to thousan=
ds of supporters
outside her home later on Saturday.

The press attack illustrated the continuing stand-off and tension between =
Ms. Suu Kyi and the
regime, which has rejected her calls for a dialogue since freeing her from=
 six years ago.

The regime drew heavy condemnation recently for arrest I hundreds of Suu K=
yi=92s supporters to
stop a recent Congress of her National League for Democracy.

Asean Welcomes Burma As Observer
=3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D
Jakarta, July 20: The seven-nation Association of South-East Asian Nations=
, rejecting Western
pressure, gave a =93most cordial welcome=94 on Saturday to Burma as an obs=
erver at the annual foreign
ministers=92 meeting of the South-East Asian group.

=93On behalf of my Asean colleagues, I have the pleasure to extend a most =
cordial welcome,=94
Indonesian foreign minister Ali Alatas told Burmese foreign minister Ohn G=
yaw at the 15 minutes
ceremony.

=93It is my hope, which is shared by all members of Asean, that not too lo=
ng from now, we shall be
welcoming Myanmar (Burma) again, not as an observer but as a member of Ase=
an,=94 Mr. Alatas said.

=93We all look forward to working closely with Myanmar in the building of =
 a community of
South-East Asian nations imbued with the spirit of peace, cooperation and =
solidarity,=94 he added.

Burma has come under fire from Western nations, in particular over the con=
frontation of its military
rulers with pro-democracy activists led by Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi, who has c=
alled for sanction to
force political change. Mr. Gyaw thanked the Asean foreign ministers and s=
ecretary-genera Ajit
Singh for their =93Unanimous support.=94 (AFP)

=3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D END TEXT =3D=
 =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D