LETTER TO HON. ALEXANDER DOWNER (16 (r)

Subject: LETTER TO HON. ALEXANDER DOWNER (16/7/96) (REPOST)

/* Written 17 Jul 6:00am 1996 by drunoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma */
/* ---------------" Letter to Hon. Alexander Downer "---------------- */
Dr U Ne Oo
48/2 Ayliffes Road
ST MARYS SA 5042

July 16, 1996.

Hon. Alexander Downer
Minister for Foreign Affairs
Parliament House
Canberra A.C.T. 2600.

Dear Minister,

I should like to thank, firstly, to the Coalition Government for your
continuing commitment of support to the Burma democracy and human rights
movements. I particularly wish to thank your government for the awarding
of the Order of Australia to the Burma' s democracy leader Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi.I also wish to thank Australian Government in providing financial
support through UNHCR to the refugees living in the camps in Thailand and
Bangladesh. In this regards, I am very grateful and note that the Burma's
d emocracy and human rights movements have continue to enjoy the support
from Australian Community and the Government.

I am writing to you in matters relating with the coming ASEAN Regional
Forum meeting in Jakarta at this weekend of 20-July-1996. I like to recall
the communication to you on the 9 May 1996 in a letter to U.S. Secretary
of State. Following June, the U.S.  Government had send U.S. Presidential
Envoys, Ambassador William Brown and Stanley Roth, to its Asian regional
allies. The Envoys in their press conference in Bangkok stated that there
will be an additional steps taken if the situation in Burma deteriora te
further.

I wish the Government of Australia continue to express its concern to
Burma's State Law and Order Restoration Council regarding with the lack of
progress towards implementing cease-fire and in starting the dialogue with
the opposition party - the National League for Democracy. I also like the
Government of Australia to reaffirms its solidarity and, particularly,
urge its ASEAN regional friends to co-operate in actions with fundamental
understandings in solving Burma's human rights and political problems.

Finally, I wish to thank the minister for your kind attention to this
matter.

Yours respectfully,
Sd. U Ne Oo
/* Endreport */