The Senate Voting list on Burma ame (r)

Subject: Re: The Senate Voting list on Burma amendment in (HR.3540)

Dear Free Burma Activists:

I have noticed one unfortunate mistake in the attached voting list.
Senator John Kerry (D, Massachusetts) did in fact vote with McConnell and
Moynihan against the Cohen/Feinstein amendment, whereas Senator Robert
Kerrey (D, Nebraska) voted with Cohen and Feinstein.

If you look back at the voting results at the end of previously posted
Congressional Record, you can verify this.

Reputable news agencies often confuse Kerry with Kerrey. It's an easy
mistake to make!

In addition, I've noticed that a couple of the Senators home states are
incorrect.

I'll go through the list below and note any errors that I can find.

Simon Billenness

On 27 Jul 1996 FreeBurma@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Subject: The Senate Voting list on Burma amendment in (HR.3540)
>
> Attention to Free Burma Activists,
>
> The following is the list of Senators who voted for and against the
> elimination of the Cohen Amendment in the HR.3540 (Appropriation Bill) on
> July 25, 1996.  On a close vote of 54 to 45, the Cohen amendment replaced the
> McConnell language in HR.3540.
>
> In peace and solidarity,
> Zaw Zaw
>
> ****  Burma and the U.S. Congress:  http://www.clark.net/pub/burmaus/
> ------------------
>
>                           YEAS--45
>
> Sen.Spencer Abraham  (R - Michigan)
> Sen.Robert Bennett  (R - Utah)
> Sen.Joseph R. Biden  (D - Delware)
> Sen.Barbara Boxer  (D - California)
> Sen.Bill Bradley  (D - New Jersey)
> Sen.Hank Brown  (R - Colorado)
> Sen.Richard H. Bryan (D-NV)

Full state name is Nevada.

> Sen.Dale Bumpers  (D-AR)

Full state name is Arkansas

> Sen.Robert C. Byrd  (D - West Virgina)
> Sen.Ben Nighthorse Campbell (R - Colorado)
> Sen.Paul Coverdell  (R - Georgia)
> Sen.Alfonse M. D'Amato  (R - New York)
> Sen.Mike DeWine  (R - Ohio)
> Sen.Lauch Faircloth  (R - North Carolina)
> Sen.Russ Feingold  (D - Wisconsin)
> Sen.Sheila Frahm (R - Kansas)
> Sen.Bill Frist  (R - Tennessee)
> Sen.Slade Gorton  (R - Washington)
> Sen.Phil Gramm  (R - Texas)
> Sen.Charles E. Grassley  (R - Iowa)
> Sen.Judd Gregg  (R - New Hampshire)
> Sen.Tom Harkin  (D - Iowa)
> Sen.Orrin G. Hatch  (R - Utah)
> Sen.Mark O. Hatfield (R - Oregon)
> Sen.Jesse Helms (R - North Carolina)
> Sen.Jim M. Jeffords  (R - Vermont)
> Sen.Nancy Kassebaum  (R - Kansas)
> Sen.Edward M. Kennedy  (D - Massachusetts)
> Sen.J. Robert Kerry (D - Neveda)

Actually, John Kerry (D, Massachusetts). Also, Robert Kerrey is Nebraska
not Nevada.

> Sen.Herbert H. Kohl  (D - Wisconsin)
> Sen.Frank R. Lautenberg  (D - New Jersey)
> Sen.Patrick J. Leahy  (D - Vermont)
> Sen.Carl Levin (D - Michigan)
> Sen.Richard G. Lugar  (R - Indiana)
> Sen.Connie Mack  (R - Florida)
> Sen.Mitch McConnell  (R - Kentucky)
> Sen.Daniel Patrick Moynihan (D - New York)
> Sen.Claiborne Pell  (D - Rhode Island)
> Sen.Larry Pressler  (R - South Dakota)
> Sen.Charles Robb  (D - Virgina)
> Sen. Paul Sarbanes  (D - Maryland)
> Sen.Richard C .Shelby  (R - Alabama)
> Sen.Robert C. Smith  (R - New Hempshire)
> Sen.Arlen Specter  (R - Pennsylvania)
> Sen.Paul Wellstone  (D - Minnesota)
>

>                           NAYS--54
>
> Sen.Daniel Akaka  (D - Hawii)
> Sen.John Ashcroft  (R - MO)

MO is Missouri.

> Sen.Max Baucus  (D - Montana)
> Sen.Jeff Bingaman  (D -Minnesota)

Bingaman, I believe, is New Mexico. He is definitely not from Minnesota.

> Sen.Christopher S. Bond  (R - Missouri)
> Sen.John Breaux  (D - Louisiana)
> Sen.Conrad Burns  (R - Montana)
> Sen.John H. Chafee  (R - Rhode Island)
> Sen.Dan Coats  (R - Indiana)
> Sen.Thad Cochran (R - Mississipp)
> Sen.Williams S. Cohen  (R - Maine)
> Sen.Kent Conrad  (D - North Dakota)
> Sen.Larry E. Craig  (R - Idaho)
> Sen.Thomas A. Daschle  (D - South Dakota)
> Sen.Christopher J. Dodd  (D - Connecticut)
> Sen.Pete V. Domenici  (R - New Hampshire)

Domenici is defintely not New Hampshire. I believe he's New Mexico.

> Sen.Byron L. Dorgan  (D - North Dakota)
> Sen.Dianne Feinstein  (D - California)
> Sen.Wendell H. Ford  (D - Kentucky)
> Sen.John Glenn  (D - Ohio)
> Sen.Bob Graham  (D - Florida)
> Sen.Rod Grams  (R - Minnesota)
> Sen.Howell Heflin  (D - Alabama)
> Sen.Ernest F. Hollings  (D - South Carolina)
> Sen.Kay Bailey Hutchison  (R - Texas)
> Sen.James Inhofe  (R - Oklahoma)
> Sen.Daniel K. Inouye  (D - Hawii)
> Sen.Bennett Johnston  (D - Louisiana)
> Sen.Dirk Kempthorne  (R - Idaho)
> Sen.John F. Kerrey  (D - Massachusetts)

This is Robert Kerrey (D, Nebraska)

> Sen.Jon L. Kyl  (R - Arizona)
> Sen.Joseph I. Lieberman  (D - Connecticut)
> Sen.Trent Lott  (R - Mississippi)
> Sen.John McCain  (R - Arizona)
> Sen.Barbara A. Mikulski  (D - Maryland)
> Sen.Carol Moseley-Braun  (D - Illinois)