 * PART 2 OF 5 - SEE OTHER POSTINGS FOR OTHER PARTS OF THIS REPORT *

[NOTE: SOME DETAILS OMITTED OR REPLACED BY 'XXXX' FOR INTERNET DISTRIBUTION]

			    Interviews

				#1.
NAME:    "Loong Hom"     SEX: M    AGE: 54        Shan Buddhist farmer
FAMILY:  Married, 3 children age 3-20
ADDRESS: XXXX village, Baw La Keh Township        INTERVIEWED: 3/7/96

I came here [the refugee camp] with my whole family.  I have 3 children
with me.  The youngest is 3 years old and the eldest is 20 years old.  They
told us to move on the 16th of April.  The order came from the military,
from the Artillery contingent, but I don't know the name of the Major.  It is

Battalion #429, Division #55.  They just sent a letter.  It said, "When you
see this order you must move immediately.  If you don't you will be driven
away and beaten like dogs and pigs, maybe even shot dead.  If you refuse to
leave your house, you will be burnt together with your house."

At first I thought of going to the east, of coming this way, but it was very
dangerous with the Burmese soldiers all along the way - we would have to
risk our lives to get through.  So we decided to go to the Burmese side, and
that if the situation became worse we would try to find a way to get out.
We took about 2 baskets of rice that we could carry with us, and went to
the place where they ordered us to stay at Wan Mai [in Shan, 'Wan Mai'
could be the village name or could just mean 'new place'].  We asked for
permission to prepare our food and 5 days to carry our food with us.  When
we got there they forced us to work every day.  Sometimes as guides to go
on operations with Army columns.  When we had to go with the Army
columns they forced us to go first, and if we step on a mine we lose our
lives.  If they happen to step on a mine, they accuse us of not showing the
proper way and beat us.  The Burmese soldiers also forced us to work every
day in their camp, and they didn't give us anything to eat.  Some had to eat
rotten rice, watery rice [cooks into mush instead of grains because it hasn't

been properly dried yet] and rotten rice.  I often shed tears with my family
while we were eating.  Many people want to come this way to get out of
that place, but they just can't.

They have forced 270 households from 9 villages to move there.  All our
neighbouring villages had to move too.  The two neighbouring villages are
called Taw Saw and Leh Ko Dee.  They ordered them to move, and when
they refused to move they used troops to drive them out.  They even
burned down their houses.  At Wan Mai we had to stay wherever we could,
with relatives or somewhere.  Only after about 9 or 10 days they showed us
the place where we must stay - a place a little west of Wan Mai, near the
house of U Lay Kong and onward as far as the pagoda.  On the hill near
the military camp.  There is a camp on the top of the hill overlooking the
place, about 2 furlongs [440 yards] distance.  They just put sticks in the
ground and told us, "This is where you will have to build your houses."  As
for us, we were told to stay in a paddy field which the owner had just
prepared for the coming planting.  He had just put fertilizer on it.  The
Army gave the owner 10,000 Kyat as compensation and divided the paddy
field into many little plots for us.  They just put sticks in the ground and
said "This is for you, this is for you", and so on.  They didn't measure it
properly.  They made 12 foot by 9 foot plots of land for each house.  You
need 2 plots of land to build a house, and you have to buy each plot, they
don't just give it.  [The Army sets the price to make much more than the
10,000 Kyat compensation they pay for the land.]  Every village had to
clear the place for itself.  After that people can't stay with their
relatives
anymore, everyone is forced to live at the relocation place.

Q:  After they relocated you did you have to do any work for them?
A:  Yes, they came and called us to work every day!  We have to clean the
Army place, do sanitation for them and clear the drainage, cut
wood/bamboo to build a fence around the military camp, make thatch
roofing for them, and so on.  They usually force us to make fences around
their camp and make thatch roofing, and we have to clear the area in front
of their camp.  That's where they have put some of their landmines.  We
have to clear that place.  We can't help it, we just have to do it even
though
we are so afraid of it.  If we don't do it we are beaten.  If there are 10
households then 5 men have to go in turns, today 5 men and tomorrow 5
other men, and so on.  That means half of the families each day.  Also,
when they go out on operations 2 men from each village have to go with
them as guides.   They go north of Loi Hu Ta and if they go south it is Wan
Pla.  That is every week.  We are forced to do it, if we don't do it they
threaten that they will burn us with our houses or drive us away.  There is
no limit to the work, their work is never finished so they call you anytime,
whenever they need.  Even when we work for them we have to eat our own
food.

While working for them we also had to build our own houses.  We had to
go and get the materials [bamboo and/or wood] we need to build houses
for ourselves.  If we couldn't build our house we'd have no place to stay.
The Army helps with nothing.  We had no time [due to the forced labour]
so we had to buy materials.  One ton of wood costs 1,500 Kyat.  If you
don't have the money to buy it, you'd have no place to stay.

When we left our village there were many cattle and livestock left behind,
and rice.  As for the chicken and pigs, the Burmese soldiers have already
taken and eaten them all.  There are still many cattle and other things, like

things in the monastery, and we haven't been able to do anything to save
them.  I don't know what's happened to it all, but the Burmese troops have
already gone and ransacked the village.  We dare not go back to have a look
because if we are caught we'll be beaten or even shot dead.

At Wan Mai a new group of soldiers has just come to replace the old group.
They come and guard our [relocation] place at night, starting from 5
o'clock in the evening.  We were there for over a month but we got nothing
from the Burmese soldiers.  We were there for one month and 7 days.  The
rice we brought with us we kept ourselves, but we had to hide it.  We had
to divide our rice into small amounts and keep it at different places,
including the monasteries, because they often search for rice. It was easy to

get water because there is an irrigation ditch running through the place.
[Note: a paddy irrigation ditch is hardly a sanitary source of water for
270 families.]  There were many, many sick people when we arrived there,
but the military medic came down from the hill once a week and looked
after them.  Mostly people had malaria and influenza.  There are even
parents who lost their minds.  There were 2 deaths, children about 2 or 3
years of age.  They were children of Kayah or Kayan families from Pak
Kee village.  One was So Leh, and the other was a girl, her name was Nyeh
Meh.

Q:  Is there any clinic?