STATEMENT ON THE 8TH ANNIVERSARY OF

Subject: STATEMENT ON THE 8TH ANNIVERSARY OF 8.8.88

	         STATEMENT ON THE 8TH ANNIVERSARY OF 8.8.88

                                                      Date: August 7, 1996

August the 8th, 1996, marks the 8th anniversary of the nation-wide general uprising in
Burma which aimed to topple the military dictatorship and establish a democratic system
of government.

Today, the spirit of 8888 continues to flourish despite the brutality of the military
dictatorship, and with unwavering courage the people of Burma have carry on their fight
for the restoration of human rights and democracy. We the SYCB, proud members of the
8888 generation, also continue with all means at hand to struggle for the basic rights that
the citizens of other countries take for granted.

Since the military took power in 1962, the economic conditions in our country have gone
from bad to worse, the environment has been irreparably damaged, and thousands of
innocent civilians have been forced to work as slaves, or have suffered gross human
rights abuses at the hands of the dictatorship. Yet the greater the hardship, and the more
extreme the brutality which the military employs to oppress our people, the stronger our
determination to succeed grows.

We the SYCB believe that the youth who participated in 1988 democracy movement were
carrying on the task begun by their elder brothers and sisters who took part in the 1962
and 1970s national movements. Today, these three generations have joined forces in an
attempt to regain freedom for our motherland.

The Slorc military regime is therefore presently facing the threat of non-violent civil
disobedience on an unprecedented scale. Our forces have achieved greater unity, and our
vision is clearer than ever before because of guidance from our national leader Daw Aung
San Suu Kyi.

To settle the current political crisis of Burma, we call on the international community and
the people of Burma to demand that the Slorc:

1. Unconditionally release all political prisoners including student leader Min Ko Naing.

2. Cancel all its unjust laws and orders.

3. Declare nation-wide cease fire.

4. Abolish sham National Convention.

5. Enter dialogue with the democratic forces led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.

Members of SYCB
1. ABSDF (All Burma Students' Democratic Front)
2. ABSL (All Burma Students League)
3. AASYC (All Arakan Students and Youth Congress)
4. CSU (Chin Students Union)
5. DPNS (Democratic Party for New Society)
6. KSDF (Kachin Students Democratic Front)
7. KYO (Karen Youth Organization)
8. NLD (L.A)-Youth (National League for Democracy-"Liberated Area"-Youth)
9. OMNSO (Overseas Mon National Students Organization)