No Subject Given

1=BE=09=09THE NATIONAL COUNCIL OF THE UNION OF BURMA
                =09  GENERAL HEADQUARTERS
                              BURMA
      =09=09SLORC  BOMBINGS  CONDEMNED,
=09DEMOCRACY  ACTIVISTS  FEAR  ANOTHER CRACKDOWN
August 9, 1996

RANGOON,BURMA----The National Council of the Union of Burma (NCUB) today
accused the State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) of setting
bombs as an excuse to launch a crackdown on democracy activists.

" The NCUB is extremely alarmed that bombs have apparently been denoted in=
=20
Rangoon.This follows a favorite  SLORC tactic of blaming the democratic for=
ces=20
for acts of violence it in fact is responsible for," stated Tin Maung Win,
presidiummember of the NCUB. " SLORC is desperate and trying very hard to=
=20
smear democracy activists as terrorists and communist sympathizers. Everyon=
e=20
inside Burma knows that the democracy movement is committed to non-violent=
=20
struggle to liberate Burma from the illegal military junta, "he stated.

It was reported by democratic sources inside Burma that three bombs explode=
d=20
in the ALONE area of Rangoon. This follows a bombing that took place in Jul=
y=20
very  close to the United States Embassy. Democratic sources stated that th=
e=20
embassy bomb was plainly the work of SLORC agents. The bomb was detonated i=
n=20
the early afternoon on a street corner that is the traditional hangout for=
=20
SLORC's military intelligence agents who monitor the embassy." The democrac=
y=20
movement is committed to regaining our freedom through the use of
political defiance activities," stated Win. " We have been using audio
tapes,pamphlets,and spray painting democracy slogans on walls throughout=20
Rangoon,Mandalay and the rest of Burma to inspire the democratic hopes of a=
ll=20
the Burmese people. Our weapons are democratic idaels, not guns or bombs."
Win added.

SLORC is trying to bait the democratic forces into committing acts of
violence. We will not lower ourselves to their failed tactics.Terror and
violence are their instruments of support, ours are a commitment to the
values of justice, democracy, and the protection of human rights" Win
said.

" SLORC is feeling the pressure from our increased coordinated campaign of=
=20
action," Win stated." The bomb blasts and recent SLORC edicts designed to=
=20
restrict the circulation of audio and video tapes show just how desperate t=
he=20
generals are trying to cling to power," Win said. " I want to tell the
people of Burma to remain strong and stand behind Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. The=
=20
NCUB is stepping up political defiance activities inside Burma. The day is=
=20
rapidly approaching when we will regain our freedom. We must all be united =
to=20
restore democracy and respect for human rights in Burma...