Please need some help here (Questio

Subject: Please need some help here (Questions Euro-Burmanet)

Dear Burma activists and supporters,

1/ GURKHAS IN BURMA
Does anyone have any information of Nepalese Gurkhas in Burma, on any
military capacity (training, etc).
Following Hong Kong report in french press on retirement of Gurkhas,
seeking other mercenary work. They need it, and would not be surprised to
find them in Burma. I have heard they form over half the Indian army.
Incidently, there are many Burmese in Nepal, and Nepal.

2/ DANISH  FREE BURMA PEOPLE: NEED E-MAILS
comité de soutien dano-birman
Anton Johannsen
Ib Wistiesen
Boycott Lego campaign

Is there any coordination now with Denmark, & Europe over  proposed
Boycott Lego campaign ?
BURMA - Pressure groups target more European companies

The Danish Burma Committee (DBC) said on Friday that it would organise a
boycott of Scandinavian Airline System (SAS) if it continued to buy
aviation
fuel from French oil group TOTAL, which manages a large gas pipeline in
Burma.

TOTAL itself is likely to face a consumer boycott after Aung San Suu
Kyi, leader of Burma's pro-democracy movement, made accusations in
France's
Le Monde newspaper on Friday that TOTAL was the 'biggest supporter of the
military regime in Burma'.

The UK's Burma Action Group (BAG) was reported
yesterday to be launching a campaign against retailer BHS, which sells
clothes made in Burma.

The campaign against European companies involved in Burma has gained
significant momentum in recent weeks and further companies are likely to
be targeted in the near future.

3/ WHERE ARE WE GOING WITH SANCTIONS, PLEASE. NEED FOCUS ON WHITE HOUSE
POLITICAL STRATEGY AND FOREIGN POLICY RE BURMA.

" We think that sanctions are certainly an option that the United  States
Government can use.
What we don't think is appropriate is that we have dictated to us
sanctions that we must impose.

" We would rather retain a degree of flexibility to use sanctions as we
see fit in designing a policy -- a pro-democratic policy in Burma.We're
willing to work with the Hill on this and we hope to in the future work
with them to design a legislative approach that makes sense.But we would
prefer not to see sanctions dictated in legislation. "
-- 28 Jun 1996  MR. DAVIES - White House Press spokesman,  Re. Sanctions

If the Clinton administration needs time to enlist or inform other
nations, Congress should listen; U.S. action
should not be needlessly unilateral. But there can be no doubt that
stronger U.S. action is called for.
-- Washington Post, editorial june 24

"What we want are the kind of sanctions that will make it quite clear
that economic change in Burma is not possible without political change,"
Suu Kyi said in the video, made public by members of the European
Parliament.
 - July 18, 1996 ( as TOTAL's stock dropped on the French exchange)

Myanmar issue could derail Asean Regional Forum's open agenda European
Union ( It did not)
Dick  Spring (Dick Spring, president council of ministers, EU 7/96),
Mr Manuel Marin - VP European Commission, EU Commissioner/Asia ; EU 7/96,

A vice-president of the European Commission, Mr Manuel Marin, had warned
that Asean-EU ties would suffer because of Asean's relationship with the
generals in Yangon. But he was tight-lipped when he arrived here
yesterday to attend the post-ministerial conference.The Europeans are
divided over Denmark's push to impose economic sanctions on Myanmar. The
US is pressing for a coordinated response from Asean, which has stood
firm on its constructive engagement policy.
-- July 22, 1996 (news report)

Mr Manuel Marin, EU commissioner with responsibility for Asia, who has
criticised Burma for its human rights record and lack of democracy warned
its admission as an observer to Asean "would be a problem".

The EU does not regard the situation in Burma as grave enough to warrant
an uncompromising stance which could jeopardise its ties with Asean's
booming economies.

Mr Spring will, however, criticise Burma at Asean regional forum meetings
over the next few days, an EU official said.The EU is pressing Burma's
military rulers to release from detention members of the National League
for Democracy and enter into meaningful discussions with pro-democracy
leader Aung San Suu Kyi.
It also wants a full explanation of the death in prison of Mr James
Leander Nichols, a businessman who had also been an honorary consul for
several European states.

The Burmese declined to meet an EU demand for an independent autopsy to
be performed on Mr Nichols' body.
-- July 2, 1996 (news report)

DOES ANYONE HAVE addresses to /

+ DICK SPRING
+ MANUEL MARIN

3/ CHRISTOPHERS NUKE -NON NUKE PACIFIC REGION, AND BURMA
Did the Burma Sanctions get tripped over Warren Chirstopher's
geopolitics?

" On the other key issues on the agenda of the two-day ministerial
meeting, he said the ASEAN ministers would discuss how to address the
reservations of the five major nuclear powers and encourage them to sign
a protocol to the South-East Asia Nuclear Weapon Free Zone treaty. " news
story

4/  EUROPE
As with Lech Walesa in Poland and Nelson Mandela in South Africa, Nobel
Peace Laureate Suu Kyi speaks with a moral authority that the outside
world cannot ignore.

Has anyone contacted LECH WALESA for his European support?  Statement?

I think this raises the often recognized question of the need to go
country to country lobbying and contacting leaders for support. It is
part of our program strategy this fall at EURO- Burmanet.

6/ TOTAL
TOTAL OFFICIALS SEX TRADE . PROSTITUTION FRENCH STYLE

The moneyed Frenchmen from Total Co were said to give each of the girls
US 200 dollars for their each - time sex services.

However, this should pessimistically be seen as something of
capitalization on and exploitation of the poverty stricken local
community by the economically powerful outsiders - for the local women
and girls will not necessarily have to succumb to such persuasion should
their community be prosperous.

As the news of the highly priced sex services has spread, sadly, many
more of the poverty - stricken Mon, Karen and Tavoyan households across
the area, out of desire for making the so -called miraculous earnings,
are said to have likewise become willing and ready to send their own
young girls into the
prostitution (for the TOTAL field managing personnel).

This signals a strong possibility of the growth and establishment of a
sex industry in the area in which many women and girls from the poverty -
stricken local community will have to work to make a living, once the
economically more powerful outsiders enter to settle and mass in the
area.

Such situation will also affect the social cultural life of the local
ethnic Mon, Karen and Tavoyan communities.

-- Total's and Unocal's Diastrous Gas Pipeline in Burma's Gulf of
Martaban  (Part I & II)  02 Jul 1996
-- Reported in May 1996 by Mon Information Service Bangkok
1189/3 Soi Panitchakantonburi, Charansnitwong Road,
Bangkok 10160, Thailand, Tel & Fax: (02) 410 7844

``Nous ne faisons pas de politique et nous respectons les lois
internationales.''
(" We don't make politics and we respect international law. ")

-- Thierry Désmarest, CEO, TOTAL

7/  UNOCAL- TOTAL

For OIL activists and oil watchers, this may already be on your
information ressource list, for others, it may be news :
http://www.igc.apc.org/cbesf/

ENVIRONMENT IN LATIN AMERICA NETWORK <elan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: Ivonne Yanez <ivonney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, cbesf@xxxxxxxxxxx
(Communities for a Better Environment-San
Francisco, CA)
U.S. OIL ACTIVIST NEWS--OIL RAG #4
ISSUE #4 RAG JULY 1996

ENVIRONMENT IN LATIN AMERICA NETWORK <elan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: Ivonne Yanez <ivonney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, cbesf@xxxxxxxxxxx
(Communities for a Better Environment-San
Francisco, CA)
U.S. OIL ACTIVIST NEWS--OIL RAG #4
ISSUE #4 RAG JULY 1996

re Unocal and TOTAL, the Free Burma Unocal and TOTAL boycott

please send any information on these oil companies
Also include Arco

thank you
Dawn Star  (Paris)
Coordinator (TOTAL)