Letter--Reply to Saw Aung Khin

This letter was sent to BurmaNet by Mimi Myint-Hpu (maythit@xxxxxxx)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 02:31:42 -0400
To: strider@xxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: Re: Support Aung San Suu Kyi

Dear Saw Aung Khin:

I share in your prayers.  I truly hope that our country can heal the pain
of the past and become a peaceful and prosperous nation before the turn of
the 21st century.

> I would like to say to Daw Aung San
>Suu Kyi, "Daw Suu, you are the true leader of the people of Burma and
>I truly believe that you will eventually prevail to win their freedom
>from bondage, fear and sufferings.  I wish you good health and I pray
>that God Bless you abundantly and bestow with the wisdom that will
>enable you to lead your people to freedom.

>To the SLORC, I earnestly pray that God will touch
>them to change their hearts and have mercy on the people who have
>been suffering so much for so long.

Both sides must come towards the middle at the same time.  Tragic thing
is, whenever one side reaches out, the other side was not ready or willing
at that point in time.   And we all end up back in square one.

>What Burma really needs is serious negotiation for true reconciliation
and lasting >peace.  SLORC has the opportunity but fails to grab it.

I think SLORC should invite Daw Suu to participate in the Convention
because she represents the will of the people and Daw Suu should go in
with no ill feelings towards her captors.  She needs more objective
thinkers around her.  But since it's the NLD that walked out first, they
should send private signals that if they were asked again, the answer
would be "yes".  Both sides must put pride aside for the sake of the
country's future.  Since SLORC is in the position of power, they should
show a bigger heart.  They must release the political prisoners first.
Only when people work together, they begin to understand each other and
slowly learn to trust one another.  In a family, whether you like each
other or not you have to learn to coexist and respect one another.  One
has to learn to share for harmony in the family and to contribute one's
share for the success of the family.  No one can do it alone.

Mimi