IHT interview with Thailand FM re B

Subject: IHT interview with Thailand FM re Burma

Dear Free Burma readers,
this from IHT, International Herald Tribune, your international
newspaper targetting the wealthy business investor
from EuroBurmanet, Paris, Dawn Star

<hr>
Headline: ASEAN and Burma :  Q&A, Amnuay Viravan - Thailand Foreign
Minister, Deputy Prime Minister
Keyword: National League for Democracy (NLD), Daw Aung San Suu Kyi,
political prisoners, human rights, Slorc abuses, Asean, Amnuay Viravan -
Thailand Foreign Minister, IHT, Thailand,
Date: July 31, 1996
Source: Euro-Burmanet, International Herald Tribune (Michael Richardson)
Section: ebn
Rubrique:main

IHT : Do Thailand and other members of ASEAN , the Association of South
East Asean Nations, share Western concerns about political repression and
human rights abuses in Burma ?

AMNUAY VIRAVAN: Myanmar, or Burma, as you call it, is part of Southeast
Asia. The political situation in Myanmar is of concern to everybody who
wants to see it contribute to regional stability. For Thailand, an
immediate neighbor that shares a 2000-kilometer (1,200) common border, a
stable, progressive and prosperous Myanmar would help bring mutual
benefits to both countries.
If Myanmarr runs into problems, it will affect us. For example, we
already have a large number of Burmese working more or less illegally in
Thailand. While we welcome some, we would like to see a better situation
for them at home so they don't have to make a living in Thailand.

IHT : Will Western-led calls for release of political detainees in Burma
and the openingof negotiations between the Burmese government and the
opposition National League for Democracy to pave the way for national
reconciliation  and democratic rule have any influence on Rangoon's
policies ?
AV : I am sure that the Myanmar government is well aware of the questions
and positions aired by Western governments, their legislatures and the
international media. I think it is sensitive to some of these concerns.
As a member of the ASEAN Regional Forum on political and security
matters, Myanmar has a commitment to make positive contributions to
regional peace and stability. They dare not shy away from those
responsabilities.

IHT : Why does ASEAN believe that its policy of constructive engagement
is a more effective way of bringing about change in Burma than
international pressure, including sanctions ?
AV : Isolating Myanmar with economic sanctions won't achieve the desired
results. ASEAN's use of economic, political and other contacts to engage
Myanmar will have a more positive outcome, although it will take time.

IHT : Do you see any progress yet ?
AV : Myanmar is opening up. It plans to join ASEAN as a full member. It
is subject to international opinion and pressure. There's no reason why
you cannot have a two-pronged approach. ASEAN has one approach. If other
countries want to apply some pressure, they can do so. We can't stop
them.

IHT : Are you saying that Western pressure on  Burma that stops short of
sanctions is actually helpful ?
AV : I'm not advocating anything. It's up to each country. But we are all
members of an international community, and we are all sensitive to what
the rest of the world thinks of us. Each country must play its own tune.

IHT : Burma is an official observer of ASEAN and a candidate member of
the group. Thailand, a democracy, is a founding member of ASEAN. Won't
the reputation and credibility of Thailand and its partners in ASEAN be
tarnished if Burma doesn't abide by interntional norms of behavior by the
timeit becomes a member of the group in the next few years ?
AV : Countries have different forms and degrees of democracy, if you
measure them by political freedom and civil liberties. ASEAN has never
put the adoption of a certain political system as a qualification for
membership.
We see that democracy is a worldwide trend. We want Myanmar to finish its
new constitution, hold elections and move toward democracy. We think it
is heading in this direction, and we are encouraging it do so.

IHT : Does ASEAN see the National League for Democracy and its leader Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi having a legitimate rôle in the political life Burma ?
After all, representatives of the league won the elections that were held
in 1990 overwhelmingly.
AV : We see the League (NLD) as a political party whichhas every right to
perform a political function in Myanmar. But the 1990 elections were to
chose delegates to draft a constitution, not for the right to rule the
country.
ASEAN is not making a judgement  about how Myanmar goes about drafting a
constitution and conducting its politics. That is an internal affair. But
all people have the right to set up political parties. And I am sure that
the constitution Myanmar is drafting will allow for a multiparty
democratic system and have room for the league.

IHT : You will visit Rangoon in August. Will you be urging the Burmese
government to hasten the pace of political reform ?
AV : The primary purpose of my visit is to promote trade, investment and
other forms of economic cooperation between Thailand and Myanmar.

IHT : Won't you take the opportunity to quietly nudge the Burmese
military regime on the political front ?
AV : ASEAN believes in quiet diplomacy, not noisy diplomacy.