No Subject Given

To: reg.burma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 17:08:45 +0000
Subject: ABSL Conference

The Fourth Day of the 2nd General Conference of ABSL
was successful

Due to the some unusual agendas, excited exchanges were
seen everywhere in the vicinity of the Conference hall.

Unexpectedly the forth day of the 5 day long conference
started on schedule. Excitement about the change of
leadership in ABSL might have caused the delegates to
reach to the conference hall before schedule.

Though it was raining the previous day, the Fourth day
was cold, pleasant and sunny. Good day with good
weather for the great change in the leadership of ABSL.
Moreover, every delegates was filled with election
spirit and election motivated songs were played through
out the day. Welcoming the new `Messiah'. The agenda
for the election was scheduled to take place in the
Afternoon Session. The long awaited moment is
approaching ... as the hand of the clock is ticking....

Morning session started with "Moment of the Truth" sang
harmoniously by all the delegates. The guitar was
played by Brown (whose eye was already red with
seasonal eye disease).

The discussion on the constitutional amendment started
with reading a fax reply from the Conference to the
Thai-based ABSL which requested to change some points
in the Constitution. The discussion took nearly 2
hours. The missed points and controversial articles
were discussed and promulgated on the spot. As drafting
of the existing constitution took 20 days in the 1st
General Conference, all the delegates suggested not to
waste any more valuable time and minded each other that
all of the points/articles in existing constitution was
already discussed and had reached agreement. There were
some typing-error due to the carelessness of Kyaw Than
who was given in-charge. Through, heated-debate,
aggressive argument and haywire discussion, the session
on the constitutional amendment ended with the experts
handling of the Chairperson.

The following session was on the future plan of the
ABSL. Kyaw Than requested all the delegates to give
more emphasis on the establishment of the `The National
Front' and urged the conference to pass the resolution.
He also suggested that ABSL should try to include more
members and activist from Burma. And he told many ways
to orgainze them to become members under the flag of
ABSL. Soe Myint suggested to add a word `True' to the
`The National Front' and it was approved unanimously by
the house. Delegates pointed out that this effort to
establish `The True National Front' should not hamper
those who were based in Thailand. However, delegates
were very clear about what type of the `Front' they
preferred. Delegates announced that the existing
NDF/DAB is not the kind of their choice. Coincidentally
this is one of the aims of ABSL prescribed in the
Constitution.

The next topic was on the Community Health. And this
was presented by Angam, the first women delegate who
submitted a verbal, well prepared and academic future
plan in English to the Conference. And the house
unanimously approved her future plan to be taken up by
the new elected body of the ABSL.

The morning session ended out of wood and all the
delegate were served with Chicken Bones Curry. The
`Doggy' was also seen with its waving tail happily
jumping from one to another as most of the Chicken were
too bony to be eaten by the human being.

The song of election played in background was saying "
You do what you like and I do what I like" ...
Election... Election.. Get up ... Let's go to vote....

The Afternoon session started with `Fly Fly Red Peacock
Song'. And the election for the Central Committee of
1996-98 began ! !

As there were no other people available, the tree
chairpersons were made election commissioners by the
house unanimously. Though it was violating the article
prescribed in the ABSL's constitution, the given
circumstances compelled the conference to continue with
it. Commissioners were Myat Thu, Than Doke and Nyi Nyi
Lwin.

Election campaign started and each candidate was given
6 minutes to speech.

Every candidate expressed their happiness over this
campaigning practice and explained that this is
possible only for those who are mature enough and
broad-minded. This practice was the first time in the 8
year long struggle of India based democratic forces.
Campaigner said that through this kind of campaign one
can proudly declare what he or she is really meant for
the movement/ their vision and commitment toward the
on-going struggle. Most of the campaigners pledged to
work for the ABSL wholeheartedly.

The first campaigner was Soe Myint. He said that he was
not very happy with the performance of the 1st Central
Committee. He said that if he was given a chance to be
in C.E.C he would try to discover the talents which
were unexplored in the members of ABSL and would try to
use them for the struggle. (Applause... Applause)
Secondly he said that he would strive for the
establishment of "The True National Front" and he
announced that he could not solely rely on DAB/NDF
alone. Thirdly, he pledged to build understanding and
respect among the members. Fourthly, he said that he
would try to use the authority of C.E.C to give
ultimate solution to the social problem of the members.
Fifthly, he encouraged the house to elect the younger
members to C.E.C.

The second campaigner was Than Doke. In his very poetic
and emotional campaign speech, he said "ABSL has gone
through many thorny steps and achieved many minor
targeted goals. Each member of ABSL is equal, be
President or General Secretary we all are the same. But
Good leader alone can not do. I urge all of you to
become good followers also. I have been in C.E.C and
worked as Vice-President of ABSL for the past two
years. Now I propose myself to be elected to C.C only.
I request you not to elect me to C.E.C because I have
asked myself whether I can perform the duty of C.E.C
effectively or not. The answer is `NO' to it. I,
hereby, propose Myat Thu, Nyi Nyi Lwin, Shar Aung, Soe
Myint and Kyaw Than for the posts of C.E.C.

Myint Aye was the third campaigner. In his very
articulate and civilian speech, "I do not have enough
money to buy a vote. This morning one person came and
sold me his vote to me. I told him "NO MONEY". But I
request you not to be mistaken in electing the wrong
persons. We should not elect the persons whose
characters are like that of `Crab', `Chameleon',
`Bamboo Tree', `Tortoise', `Bull' and `Wolf'. As for me
I can help expanding the number of members of ABSL with
my big MOUTH only. That's why do not elect me to C.E.C"
said Myint Aye.

Htun Htun Oo was the fourth campaigner. He said that he
was not formally elected from the 1st General
Conference but from the By-Election to C.C. I could not
show you what I have done because my tenure in this
post of C.C was too short. But please do not forget
that I was there from the beginning of ABSL's history.
I urge all you to vote for unmarried persons. Not me
who is married", said Htun Htun Oo.

Hla Saw, the fifth campaigner, informed the house that
he was not campaigning for himself. But he requested
the members to review their decisions before voting.
"Give a value to your ballot", said James Hla Saw.

Moe Choke, the sixth campaigner, also said the same
thing that he was not campaigning for himself. But
requested the house to elect him to C.C and declared
that he could perform the duty of C.C effectively. He
stressed that young members alone in the head of ABSL
would be hazardous. He requested to elect experienced
adult to the C.E.C. "One brick alone can not make a
building. Every one of us should emotionally and
physically be involved in our movement", said Moe
Choke.

Sunny, the last campaigner, in his short speech he
said, "Please evaluate your decision before voting.
This is a moment of important. I request the elected
members to respect the people verdicts also. I am not
campaigning for myself."

Before the voting began, there was a heated, aggressive
argument over the Election Commissioners for quite some
time and it delayed the schedule. The main opponents to
this designated commissioner was none other than Zaw
Lwin Htun who attends the conference today only. It
seemed that he was not aware of the decision adopted
about the same in the previous day. He said that the
Election Commissioners are not permitted to take part
in the election according the constitution of ABSL and
told the house that this conference was made out of
blue. His challenge to this was turned down by the
Commissioners and gave the green signal to start the
voting.

Voting started very silently as everyone in the
conference hall was not happy with the remark of Zaw
Lwin Htun over the 5 day long on-going conference. The
tension prevailed for a quite some time. However
casting of the votes was conducted gracefully and
systematically one by one.

Much awaited elected lists was declared after the
counting. The following is elected C.C members listed
in the ascending order according to the votes scored.

          1.  Com. Moe Kyaw
          2.  Com. Than Doke
          3.  Com. Shar Aung
          4.  Com. Zaw Htay
          5.  Com. Nyi Nyi Lwin
          6.  Com. Myo Myint Aung
          7.  Com. Soe Myint
          8.  Com. Sunny
          9.  Com. Kyaw Than
          10. Com. Myat Thu
          11. Com. Myint Aye
          12. Com. Moe Choke
          13. Com. Nyo
          14. Com. Win Aung
          15. Com. Htwe
          16. Com. Thein Myint
          17. Com. Hla Saw

The elected Central Committee members casted their
ballot for C.E.C. Followings are the elected C.E.C :

     1. Com. Myat Thu         President
     2. Com. Kyaw Than        Vice President
     3. Com. Soe Myint        General Secretary
     4. Com. Shar Aung        Joint General Secretary

Right after the election, Myat Thu gave his first
emotional presidential address to the house. In his
speech he said, "Thanks for election me as a president.
Being a democrat, I am very proud of being elected as a
president democratically. "The road ahead for us to
walk upon is thorny and rough. But I promise I will
perform the duty of the president of this league with
all the knowledge I have" said new President. "I
proudly accept this duty. From here I want to tell all
of you that ABSL is my first priority in my heart. But
I demand your cooperation also", said Myat Thu in his
conclusive speech.

The celebration was held at night with the chuckling
glasses of "Diplomat" and all were held up high and the
celebration ended cheerfully.

26/8/96 is the last of the conference.

Toward to victory ! !

Publicity
2nd General Conference of ABSL
Date : Aug 24/06/1996

The 2nd General Conference of the ABSL
Swearing in Ceremony of the Newly Elected Central Committee
(26th August 1996)

AGENDA (11:00 to 2:00 PM)
-------------------------

Session I   -  Reading the Day Agenda
         -     Inauguration
         -     Salutation to the "Fighting Peacock Flag"
         -     Salutation to General Aung San and Fallen
          Martyrs
         -     Two minutes silent homage to the martyrs who
          sacrificed their lives during the democratic
          struggle
         -     Singing of "National Anthem"

Session II  -  Reading of Felicitation

Session III -  Swearing In
          a)   Speech by Com. Nyi Nyi Lwin
               (The President of 1st Central Committee)
          b)   Swearing in
          c)   The Presidential Speech by President
               Myat Thu

Session IV  -  Speeches by Special Guests

Session V   -  Reading out Political Papers adopted by the
          Conference
          a) Continue the Peoples' Struggle (Com. Zaw Htay)
          b) Support Daw Aung San Suu Kyi(Com. Nyi Nyi Lwin)
          c) Strengthen the unity among the democratic forces
             (Com. Hla Saw)

Session VI  -  Briefing the records of the 2nd General Conference

Session VII -  Singing of "Students Union Song"
     -    Closing the ceremony with slogans

Note :

1.   A video film (Inside Burma) will be shown after
     the ceremony.
2.   "Monhinga" (A Burmese dish) will be served after the
     ceremony.