ACTION REQUEST:- ETHNIC MINORITY RE (r)

Subject: ACTION REQUEST:- ETHNIC MINORITY REFUGEES IN THAILAND (3/3)

ACTION REQUEST:- ETHNIC MINORITY REFUGEES IN THAILAND
part 3 of 3.  For more information, contact :-
refugee_help@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Addresses to send letters, in order of importance.

        The Prime Minister
        Khun Banharn Silpa-archa
        The Prime Minister's Office
        Thai Kufah Building
        Dusit, BANGKOK 10200
        T H A I L A N D

        The Representative
        United Nations High
        Commission for Refugees
        P.O Box 2-121, Bangkok 10200
        T H A I L A N D

        The Director General
        Khun Asda Janyanama
        Ministry of Foreign Affairs
        Phaholyotin Place, 30th Floor
        408 Phaholyotin Road
        Bangkok 10210
        T H A I L A N D

        The Thai Embassy in your country.

Dear Mr. Prime Minister,

I am a concerned  individual with a personal love for both Thailand and
Burma.

The compassionate Government of Thailand, and the Thai people, have
shown the world how they have accepted and assisted many thousands of
Indo-Chinese refugees over a period of many years. At present 100,000
refugees are receiving the hospitality of Thailand on the Thai/Burmese
border. Thailand enjoys a high international reputation for humanitarian
assistance given to refugees.

The reason  I am writing this letter is to ask for your compassion and
assistance on two points. I ask that ethnic minority refugees from Burma
who have been accepted by another country be allowed to leave Thailand
to go to that country. I also ask for newly arrived refugees to be
allowed access to screening, and permitted to leave the country if
successful.

As the number of cases in the group of people that have been accepted by
another country and not permitted to leave Thailand, is very small, and
there are only a few new cases applying, there would be no need for any
government policy changes, or any danger of a magnet affect.

Each case is assessed by a foreign embassy on an individual basis of
humanitarian need, using stringent criteria, to remove that person from
grave danger. Very few are accepted. Furthermore, not many refugee are
willing to take the risk of travelling to Bangkok with little or no
support or protection, in order to reach the foreign embassies.

Thailand has a good international reputation for its humanitarian
treatment of refugees arriving at its borders. Currently, there is
growing international interest in the just treatment of minority ethnic
groups from Burma. I am sure Thailand will uphold its present status as
a compassionate refuge for desperate people who seek asylum from
personal danger, particularly minority ethnic groups from Burma.

The good opinion of the world about Thailand is high, and has direct
bearing on international trade and tourism. International media
reporting on compassionate treatment of minority groups will add to
Thailand's already high reputation.

We hope that the Government of Thailand will investigate this matter,
and believe that the high humanitarian principals of Thailand will
ensure that these people are treated justly and fairly, and allowed to
leave the country.

Yours sincerely

YOUR NAME HERE
--****ATTENTION****--****ATTENTION****--****ATTENTION****--***ATTENTION***
Your e-mail reply to this message WILL be *automatically* ANONYMIZED.
Please, report inappropriate use to                abuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
For information (incl. non-anon reply) write to    help@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
If you have any problems, address them to          admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx