press Release of ABSDF Reunificatio

Subject: press Release of ABSDF Reunification Conference

--=====================_842933997==_

ALL BURMA STUDENTS' DEMOCRATIC FRONT

Memorandum of Understanding for the ABSDF Re-Unification

Introduction

The All Burma Students' Democratic  Front (ABSDF) was born with a noble intention to
remove the military dictatorship and establish a democratic federal union in Burma in the
wake of 1988 popular Democracy Uprising.

Since its inception, the ABSDF has adopted the "National Political Trend" as its main
political program. the Front aims are to work for the people from all walks of life in
Burma regardless of race, religion, ism or class.

It aims to realize the following objectives;
1) to liberate all the peoples of Burma from the military dictatorship
2) to achieve democracy and human rights
3) to achieve internal peace
4) to forge genuine federal union.

No matter how noble the aims of the ABSDF are, in split into two groups owing to
organizational and personal differences in 1991, when it was three years old.

After seriously analyzing the break-up, we discovered our ways of error. they are:
1) immature political experiences,
2) lack of preparation for long term organizational build up,
3) factionalism,
4) improper practice of democratic principles within the organization,
5) Slorc's destructive infiltration into the organization.

Political agreements

1) As the ABSDF is a political organization which must organize all the people regardless
of race, class and religion, there must be full freedom of thought, belief, religion, and so
on within the grouping. Therefore, the Front's news releases and other publications must be
in accordance with its policy.

2) There must be no segregation of its members by the Central Committee and concerned
commanders.

3) the Front must carry out its functions with an aim not to fall back into disintegration in
the face of hardship and problems after the reunification.

4) The Front has adopted a principle of negotiation and persuasion in the work of
organizing, finance, foreign affairs, supply and information in the name of long term unity.

5) For further unity, we have agreed not to make the same mistakes as before which led to
break-up of the ABSDF. Also we should learn to express forgiveness and understanding
whenever we bring up the subject of past experiences.

6) The leadership of the Front should prepare well-planned programs for the role of
ABSDF in the rebuilding of the future Union of Burma.

7) The ABSDF should commerce preparations for the long term political and national
work because they cannot function as students throughout their life.

8) The ABSDF will recognize and honor the students who have sacrificed their lives
during the democratic struggle, and continue to recognize the students who have been
honored by both groups.

Human Rights Agreements

The ABSDF will respect and comply with the contents proclaimed in the Universal
Declaration of Human Rights.

Press Statement of the ABSDF Reunification Congress

1) The ABSDF Reunification Congress was successfully held from September 5 to 16.
Sixty representatives from all fighting forces from various regions under the ABSDF
participated in the Congress. Bearing in mind the unity of the Front, the Congress adopted
political programs, constitutions, laws and future work plans with full support of the
participants. it also democratically elected a new Central Committee to lead the Front.

2) The Congress resolved to continue its military struggle under the guidance of political
activities in order to realize the four objectives of the Front. it also laid down the
"principles" on organizing the various democratic forces and aimed ethnic nationalities
organizations into national political force so as to launch offensives from different fronts.
At the same time, the Congress adopted a policy to continue with its political offensives as
long as the Slorc ignores our calls to solve political problems through political means.

3) The ABSDF came into being on November 1, 1988 after the uprising that year, it has
since then adopted the "National Political Trend" and has been struggling against the
military dictatorship on behest of ethnic minorities and down-trodden people of Burma.

4) The ABSDF split into two groups during the Third Congress in 1991. Although
ABSDF was born with lofty aims, we members of the ABSDF reassessed that it lost the
unity owing to immature political experience, improper practice of democratic principles,
factionalism and lack of preparation for the long term organizational build-up. We are also
convinced that we had not been vigilant enough to pay attention to Slorc's infiltration into
the organization and other disturbances aimed at disintegrating ABSDF. For this and afore-
mentioned factors, we had not been able to carry out the historic task that was handed
down to us.

5) During the time of disunity, although there were shortcomings to an extent, we believe
that there was also a considerable amount of progress made for the good of the Front as a
whole. Bearing in the mind the desire of the people and grassroots members of the
ABSDF, overcoming all the difficulties and reviewing the current political situation, we
have been able to reclaim that lost unity. We have now been able to grasp the unity that
will lost eternally.

6) Now is the time democratic movement is experiencing greater hardships and restraints.
We have resolved during the Congress to gain victory with the strength of unity by
overcoming all adversaries; we have resolved not to fall back into disunity again.

  7) We acknowledge our warm and sincere thanks to all the members of the ABSDF, the
ABSDF Reunification Commission of the Democratic Alliance of Burma (DAB),
individuals, patriotic forces inside Burma and overseas, and all other alliance
organizations.

8) the ABSDF reunification has set a valuable example not only for the ABSDF but also
for the Democratic Movement as a whole. It has also had a milestone as a model of unity
in the modern history of Burma. We whole-heartedly believe that it is also the first
foundation for the bright future of new democratic Burma.

"From ABSDF Unity to National Unity, From National Unity to Final Victory"

ABSDF Reunification Congress
Date September 16 1996

The ABSDF Reunification Congress was successfully held from September 5 to 16, 1996.
According to the elections law, the following representatives to the Congress were
democratically elected;

Central Executive Committee Members

1. Dr. Naing Aung		Chairman
2. Moe Thee Zun		Vice- chairman
3. Aung Thu Nyein		General-Secretary
4. Sai Myint Thu		Secretary-1
5. Myo Win			Secretary-2

According to the election law, the congress elected (13) Central Executive Committee
members. (17) Central Committee members and (5) alternative members to the Central
Committee were elected.

ABSDF Reunification Congress
Date: September 16, 1996.