BurmaNet News: September 18, 1996 (r)

---------------------------------BurmaNet-----------------------------------
-----
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"
---------

The BurmaNet News: September 19, 1996
Issue #518

Noted in Passing:

		Our people are very easily aroused and they can easily make
		some mischief.  So we have to control this firmly and now we
		are laying down our foundation. -  General Kyaw Ba's opinion
		on the purpose of the government constitution (see: VOA: SUU
		KYI ON SLORC AND NATION-BUILDING)

HEADLINES:
==========
U.S. CONGRESS APPROVES SANCTIONS
ABSDF STATEMENT: 8TH ANNIVERSARY OF SLORC'S COUP D'E TAT
JOINT STATEMENT: 8TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE MILITARY COUP
BURMANET: NEWS INSIDE BURMA
FBC: AUNG SAN SUU KYI ENDORSE OCTOBER FAST
US EMBASSY RANGOON: FOREIGN ECONOMIC TRENDS - BURMA
THE NATION: KL CONFIRMS BURMA'S APPLICATION FOR ASEAN
THE NATION: BURMESE REBEL ASSAILS ASEAN
VOA: SUU KYI ON SLORC AND NATION-BUILDING
VOA: BURMA'S PR IMAGE PROBLEM
THE NATION: THAIS THREATEN FORCED EVICTION OF IMMIGRANTS
BKK POST: KAREN REFUGEES TO BE BETTER PROTECTED
THE NATION: JAL TIES UP WITH MYANMAR AIRWAYS
----------

U.S. CONGRESS APPROVES SANCTIONS
September 18, 1996

On September 17, the eve of the anniversary of the violent takeover
of power by the State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) in
Burma eight years ago, the US Congress approved sanctions against the
military dictatorship. The bill was passed in spite of intense
lobbying against it by the US oil firm UNOCAL and its corporate
partners.  In approving the Cohen-Feinstein Amendment - Section 569
of the Foreign Operations and Appropriations Act, the US is sending a
clear message to the Burmese generals that they cannot continue to
pursue a policy of intimidation, imprisonment, and torture with
impunity. The US action gives a major boost to the Burmese democracy
movement led by Nobel Peace Laureate Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.

The Cohen-Feinstein Amendment proposed in July was a compromise to
the mandatory sanctions called for by Kentucky Senator Mitch
McConnell and New York Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan. Under the
provisions of the adopted legislation, the US President shall
prohibit new US businesses from investing in Burma if SLORC
physically harms, re-arrests, or exiles Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, or
continues its repression of the democracy movement. As recently as
September 14, SLORC arrested two close confidants of Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi -- U Aung Myint Oo and Maung Khin Thein.  Since the last
crackdown in May, more than sixty supporters of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
have been arrested and half have been sentenced to harsh prison terms.

On September 11, the 125th Congress of the ruling Social Democratic
Party of Denmark unanimously adopted a resolution to work for
European Union sanctions against SLORC and to support the work of the
National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma (NCGUB).   NCGUB
Prime Minister Dr. Sein Win currently in Germany said, "I am very
happy to see that the US Congress has passed the legislation. The
joint efforts of the United States and the Danish Government in
Europe will have a significant impact on the political process in
Burma. I trust that those nations committed to seeing democracy
restored in Burma will follow the lead of the United States and
Denmark."  Dr Sein Win added that "the current US sanctions bill is
only the first step in a process that will begin again when a new
Congress convenes." He said he was confident that the US Congress will
increase its support for democracy in Burma.

The NCGUB advocates sanctions because foreign investments have
enabled the illegitimate military regime to survive and more than
double its army while becoming increasingly brutal and repressive,
especially in ethnic areas. Only sanctions will curb the excesses of
the generals and influence them to enter into a political dialogue
with the Burmese democracy movement led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
and Burma's ethnic peoples.

ABSDF STATEMENT: 8TH ANNIVERSARY OF SLORC'S COUP D'E TAT

Eight years ago on September 18, 1988, the State Law and Order
Restoration Council (Slorc) staged a military coup d'e tat that brought
the people of Burma onto the streets demanding an end to one-party rule
and demand for democracy.  The response from the military was a brutal,
and violent crackdown that resulted thousands of people killed and
imprisoned.  In addition, the Slorc announced that it would held
multi-party general election and that state power would be transferred to
those elected.

Eight years later the people of Burma are still waiting for the
Slorc to honor the results of the general election held in 1990.  Eighty
two percent of parliamentary seats were won by the National League for
Democracy (NLD) party led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.  Many elected members
of parliament were arrested and given long prison sentences, some of whom
are still, today, facing many more years of imprisonment.  The country is
still under military rule where gross abuses of human rights are
conducted in order to ensure the Slorc stay in power.

The All Burma Students' Democratic Front (ABSDF) strongly
condemns the Slorc for ignoring by the true will of the people of Burma
through the 1990 general election, and for ignoring calls from the
international community for democracy and human rights.

While the Slorc has failed in its management of the country, the
people face more hardships.  The economic and social policies of the
Slorc do nothing but empower the army and further oppress the people.
SLORC's army is now two times larger than in 1988 and continues to grow
under its open market economy.

In order to ease increasing international and internal pressure
of its worsening human rights record, and failure for democratization;
the Slorc has through force, achieved temporary cease-fire agreements
with 15 armed ethnic groups.  However, the Slorc still refuses to discuss
any of the political and social problems through dialogue and political
means with any groups.  Instead, pressure through military oppression and
divide and rule are still implemented by the regime today.

Therefore, the ABSDF, for the sake of the country, strongly
demands that the SLORC; release all political prisoners including prominent
student leader Min Ko Naing, stop all forms of human rights abuses,
cancel all unjust laws and orders, engage in a tripartite dialogue with
democracy
groups led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and ethnic leaders for achieving national
reconciliation and lasting peace.

We also appeal to the international community to help the people
of Burma by exerting more pressure on the SLORC through economic
sanctions and an international arms embargo until democracy and human
rights is achieved in Burma.

The ABSDF urges the students and people from all walks of live in
and out of the country to redouble their efforts for furthering the
struggle for democracy and human rights.

The ABSDF reconfirms that it will continue the fight against the
SLORC hand in hand with the ethnic people of Burma for uprooting the
military dictatorship, the root problem of the country and achieving
genuine peace.

Central Committee
ABSDF

JOINT STATEMENT: 8TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE MILITARY COUP
September 18, 1996

Today is the 8th anniversary of the day the military dictators, under
the name of State Law and Order Restoration Council, stage a coup after killing
the Burmese people in order to perpetuate the military dictatorship in Burma.

Many people, including ethnic minorities, have been killed or subjected
to arbitrary arrest, unlawful imprisonment, forced labor, and suspension of
their rights by the Slorc since it come to power. We demand that the Slorc,
which has committed these inhuman acts, do the following:

1.	Release unconditionally all political prisoners, including student
leader Min Ko Naing.
2.	Talk with the democratic forces led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi to search
for the future of Burma.
3.	Transfer power to the National League for Democracy which won by a
landslide in the 1990 election.
4.	Enforce the resolutions of the United Nations concerning Burma.

We also urge the Japanese people and the people of the rest of the world
to firmly support the democratic forces led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and to
pressure the Slorc to meet the above demands which can lead to the restoration
of democracy in Burma.

And we strongly urge the international community to take effective
actions against the Slorc if it does not respect the above demands.

Burma Youth Volunteer Association ( Japan )
Democratic Burmese Students' Organization ( Japan )
8888 Group
National League for Democracy (Liberated Area-Japan Branch)

'em

BURMANET: NEWS INSIDE BURMA
September 18, 1996

To commemorate the military coup that occurred on the September 18, 1988,
The military government organized opening ceremonies of current tourism
construction projects. Some of the projects have been completed and some are
still in the process of being completed.
Minister for Hotels and Tourism, Lieutenant General Kyaw Ba, attended the
the ceremony as well as other government officials

The projects are as follows:
1)	Mandalay Mya Nan San Kyaung Palace
2)	Mandalay Bar Ga Yar Monestary
3)	Mandalay Atu Ma Shi Monestary
4)	Sin Tae Wa Resovoir in Pakhok ku District
5)	Commencing ceremony of construction Tha Phan Sike Reservoir at Kyun
Hla township
6)	Rangoon ---National Museum
7)	Rangoon---Cultural University
8)	MyaungMya Bridge
9)	Railway line between Pagan- Myin Gyan
10)	GaYuNa pharmacy store in Rangoon and Mandalay
11)	Paung Laung Hydroelectric Station
12)	Nang Saung Ngaung Hydroelectric station in KyaukMae township
13)	Nang KhamKa hydroelectric station in Moe Gaung township
14)	Kandawgyi Palace Hotel in Rangoon
15)	Sedona hotel in RGN
16)	Bassein University
17)	Mingalardon new Airport building in RGN
18)	Ramada Hotel in RGN
19)	Parami Road in RGN.
20)	Jade Factory in Pyin Ma Bin in RGN(Myanma Holding Co)
21)	Industrial Zone 1 and 2 in Dagon new Town in RGN
22)	Same at Hlaing Tha Ra in RGN
23)	Thakatoe Yeik Mon Housing in RGN
24)	FMI housing project in RGN
25)	Nawaday housing project in RGN
26)	200 bedded hospital in Pakhokku
27)	Myakhantha Golf Course in RGN
28)	Pyin Oo Lwin digital electronic Auto Exchange
29)	Kyauk khwat-LatPanto Oil Field in Pakhokku

FBC: AUNG SAN SUU KYI ENDORSE OCTOBER FAST
September 18, 1996

1)  Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and October Fast
The leader of Burma's democracy movement, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi has just
endorsed the October Fast for a Free Burma.  She also urges groups in
Japan, ASEAN countries, and Europe to join the Fast.  Below are few
excerpts from her audiotaped statement message which will be distributed to
you all:

On the Fast:
The Free Burma Fast will help focus attention on the essentially peaceful
nature of the quest for democracy in Burma...I would like to thank all of
you who are participating in the fast, in particular American and Canadian
students who have done so much for the Free Burma campaign.  Victory will
surely be ours because our cause is just."

On U.S. Corporations in Burma:
Until we have a system that guarantees rule of law and basic democratic
institutions, no amount of aid or investment will benefit our people.
Profits from business enterprises will merely go toward enriching a small
already very privileged elite.  Companies such as UNOCAL and PEPSI, ARCO
and TEXACO only serve to prolong the agony of my country, by encouraging
the present military regime to preserve in its intransigence.

2) South Africa joins October Fast
Please add to your list of colleges joining the October 7 Fast, the
University of Durban-Westville.  I have succeeded in enlisting a few
persons and have hope for more.  We will ensure that the issue gets the
necessary media coverage.

3) Hampshire College join October Fast
Hampshire's on board for the Fast.  We're also contacting the other four
schools in our consortium (UMass, Smith, Mount Holyoke and Amherst Colleges)
to see if we can generate interest there...We're going to show Beyond
Rangoon probably Sept. 30 as a kick-off for our FBC and to publicize and
recruit for the Fast.

4) Duke University kick off Free Burma campaign
I received information in the mail concerning Burma.  I am now in the
process of speaking with 1) Amnesty International and 2) Taiwanese students
(who I understand are politically  in tune to the situation in Burma).  I
have also gotten the paperwork  required  to start a new club.
Furthermore, I am ordering 100 of the  stickers from the FBC homepage.  On
the homepage, I had noticed that there was a march in Chapel Hill.  Being that
Duke is situated about 10 miles from UNC, I was wondering if you had the
number of who organizes anti-SLORC campaigns at the school.
Richard Froom (rsf3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

5) The current list of October Fast Groups:

The list of participating colleges and high schools:

a) U.S.A

1-Santa Monica College
2-University of Houston
3-University of Wisconsin-Madison
4-Stanford
5-Harvard/Radcliffe
6-Princeton
7-UCLA
8-Berkeley
9-Johns Hopkins
10-Northwestern
11-University of Chicago
12-Warren-Wilson College
13-Tufts University
14-University of Michigan
15-Penn State
16-University of Washington
17-New York University
18-Iowa State University
19. Texas A & M University
20. University of Minnesota
21. Georgetown University
22. Texas Southern University
23. University of Oklahoma
24. East Tennessee State University
25. Baylor College of Medicine
26. Stephen F. Austin University
27. University of Texas at Austin
28. Texas Women's University
29. Conneticut College
30. University of North Carolina
31. University of Georgia
32. Syracuse University
33. SUNY-ESF
34. University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point
35. Wesleyan
36. San Franciscan State University
37. Hampshire College

High Schools:

1. Immaculate Heart Academy in Washington Twshp., New Jersey
2. Lab Schools, University of Chicago
3. Lamar High School, Texas
4. West High School, Madison, Wisconsin
5. East High School. Madison, Wisconsin
6. W.P. Clements High School, Sugar Land, Texas
7. Lexington High School

Community Group:
Westerville Social Action, Westerville, Ohio
Chicago Free Burma Coalition

b) Canada
Lakehead University at ThunderBay, Ontario

c) South Africa
The University of Durban-Westville

US EMBASSY RANGOON: FOREIGN ECONOMIC TRENDS - BURMA
June , 1996 (excerpt)

GOVERNMENT ROLE IN THE ECONOMY

Burma's tentative movement, since 1988, towards an internally and externally
competitive market orientated economy is constrained by the exigencies of a
militarized authoritarian state not conducive to economic liberalization.

Immediately upon being  constituted in September 1988, the SLORC proclaimed
that it would move toward a market oriented economy and began to liberalize
economic policy. During the late 1980's and early 1990's, the SLORC allowed
the private sector to engage in internal trade and many kinds of manufacturing,
external trade and some financial activities. Some small state- owned
enterprises
were privatized. State procurement of agricultural surpluses at below market
prices was limited to a single crop, paddy, of which about 1/7 of national
production is now purchased by the state and about 1/3 of the market price for
export and for substituted distribution to military and government employees
and members of ethnic minorities that the government seeks to pacify. Private
exportation of crops other that rice was permitted. Border trade was legalized
and allowed to be conducted at market exchange rates. Exporters were permitted
to retain their earnings in foreign currency bank deposits, although required
either to use the bulk of them for imports, or to exchange them for Kyat with
prospective importers. The establishment of private banks was permitted,
although interest rates continue to be set by the government at rates well
below
the rate of inflation, and only four parastatal banks were permitted to handle
foreign exchange transactions. The GOB promulgated a new domestic
investment law, a new mining law, and a new foreign investment law that
permits foreign direct investment in most sectors of the economy and 100%
foreign investment in some sectors.

Nominally, Burma still has a dual exchange rate regime, including an official
exchange rate which values the local currency, the kyat, at more than twenty
times it's value on a legal and competitive parallel foreign exchange market.
In 1990, when it began to liberalize external trade, the GOB allowed exporters
to hold dollar dominated accounts in domestic banks, and allowed such dollar
deposits to be traded legally for kyat at a parallel exchange rate; but although
these dollar deposits could be used to purchase goods for imports, these
could be
converted at the market rate only to purchase local goods for export, not for
domestic consumption. In February 1993, the GOB introduced a form of local
currency pegged to the US dollar, the "foreign exchange certificate" (FEC) into
which foreign currency holders, including tourists and exporters, could exchange
dollars at the market-determined parallel rate, to buy local goods and services.
By 1995, hardly any transactions except intra- public-sector transactions still
occurred at prices reflecting the official rate.

Fiscal Developments:

Under the SLORC, disproportionate military expenditures have caused both
fiscal deficits equivalent to 11% and 25% of legal GDP, and a deterioration of
health and education services. For at least some recent years, the exclusion of
substantial military imports and related financial flows from the GOB's BOP
accounts implies that the true fiscal situation may be worse than these figures
indicate. Implicit and explicit taxes on the external sector, which made up
less
than one fourth of legal GDP, appears to have provided about half of public
sector receipts. Much of the GOB's foreign currency receipts come from the state
economic enterprises, which monopolize major legal exports, and thereby
generate substantial positive net income for the government. The GOB's net
declared cash basis foreign financial flows have been consistently positive,
thanks
largely to debt relief grants from the government of Japan, which have recently
provided an increasing share of GOB receipts.

Since the SLORC was constituted, defense spending has grown, both in real
terms and in terms as a share of central government operating expenditures
certainly in exchange-rate unadjusted terms and apparently in exchange-rate
adjusted terms. In FY 93/94 and FY 94/95, on-budget defense and "unidentified"
disbursements appear to have constituted at least 41% of total central
government
operating disbursements in unadjusted terms and about half of central government
operating disbursements in exchange-rate-adjusted terms, despite the absence of
any evident military threat and the pacification of most ethnic insurgent
groups.

Meanwhile, central government disbursements have decreased in terms of  real
terms and as shares of central government disbursements in exchange rate
unadjusted terms.

Public schools have increasingly been funded by formal and informal user fees.
GOB receipts from school fees have increased from 50 million in FY 89/90,
to about 300 million kyat in FY 94/95. It is widely reported that the
salaries of
teachers - which like those of non-military central government employees,
declined at an average of at least 20% a year in real terms from FY 89/90 to
FY 94/95 - were increasingly supplemented by side payments from the families
of students, and that increasing formal and informal school fees are
contributing
materially to Burma's high primary and secondary school drop out rates. Recent
Ministry of Education surveys, conducted with the assistance of UN agencies,
have indicated that 65% to 75% of children entering primary school drop out
of school before the fifth year of formal education, and that fewer of than
5% of
them complete secondary school. Among the rural poor, many children never start
school at all. Class rooms are overcrowded, textbooks and school supplies are
inadequate, much of the teaching relies on rote memorization. However the GOB
continues not to permit the establishment of private multi-subject schools
at any level.

Similarly, the public health care that most Burmese can afford has by all
accounts
deteriorated during the 1990's; that many hospitals expect patients to
provide or pay
for food, bedding, medicines, non-reusable medical supplies and use of
diagnostic
equipment, without regard to ability to pay. Private side-payments to
state-employed
doctors reportedly have increased, as the value of their compensation from
the GOB
has fallen in real terms. However private clinics for thhe affluent have
begun to
flourish in Rangoon.

THE NATION: KL CONFIRMS BURMA'S APPLICATION FOR ASEAN
September 18, 1996

KUALA LUMPUR - Burma has made a formal application for full membership in
the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), Malaysian Foreign
Minister Abdullah Badawi said yesterday.

Burmese Foreign Minister Ohn Gyaw handed over the application last month
during a visit by Burmese junta leader Gen. Than Shwe and top members of his
ruling council, the national news agency Bernama quoted Abdullah as saying.

Abdullah said he was optimistic Burma will be accepted. Laos and Cambodia
are set to join ASEAN next year. (TN)

THE NATION: BURMESE REBEL ASSAILS ASEAN
September 18, 1996

TEAKAPLAW, Burma - The leader of Burma's oldest rebel insurgency said
yesterday that  the country's expected entry into the Association of
Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) will benefit its tyrants, not its people.

"They are dictators," Gen. Bo Mya, the 69-year-old chief of the Karen
National Union said of the generals who have ruled Burma since 1962. After
years of thumbing its nose at the international community, the regime is
seeking international acceptance.

"If they become a member of ASEAN, they will reap all the benefits for
themselves, but the people of  Burma will become poorer and poorer," Bo Mya
said from his jungle stronghold near the rugged, malaria-plagued mountains
of the Thai - Burma border.

The general, dressed in battle fatigues but steadying his bearish frame on a
teak cane, commands an estimated 5,000 troops. Despite some disastrous
military setbacks in the past few years, Bo Mya and his soldiers are
determined to continue their struggle against the government in Rangoon.

VOA: SUU KYI ON SLORC AND NATION-BUILDING
September 9, 1996

Rangoon -- in Burma, the government and pro-democracy activists
continue a battle of wills about the future of the country. Each
side believes it is firmly in the right, and the rhetoric coming
from both camps is heated.

There is an establishment in Rangoon, named "The Happy
Nation Restaurant".  It is a wishful thought, for Burma's
political landscape remains bleak.

The ruling State Law and Order Restoration Council, known as
Slorc, is run by a well-entrenched military that sees opposition
leader, Aung San Suu Kyi as a dangerous demagogue who will bring
anarchy to the country.

Nobel peace prize-winner and leader of the National League for
Democracy, Aung San Suu Kyi, views the country's ruling generals
as repressive and corrupt, bent on crushing dissent and  holding
on to power by whatever means necessary.  She wants the results
of the 1990 election, which the National League for Democracy
decisively won and the government nullified, implemented.

Minister of hotels and tourism and a member of Slorc, Lieutenant
General Kyaw Ba, says the military will not turn over the reins
of power to her under any circumstances.  He says the military
must stay in power, because nobody else can keep order in Burmese
society.

        " If somebody is going to take over the administration,
         they will not be able to handle it.  They would not be
         able to keep control.  Our people are very easily
         aroused and they can easily make some mischief.  So we
         have to control this firmly and now we are laying down
         our foundation."

The foundation General Kyaw Ba refers to, is a convention that is
drafting a new constitution the government says will bring
multi-party democracy to Burma.

But, it will clearly not be a western-style multi-party
democracy.  The military, deeply fearful of a flare-up of ethnic
insurgencies or political unrest, will continue to play the
dominant role.  Government sources say the current draft document
calls for reserving 25-percent of the parliament seats for the
military.

General Kyaw Ba says western-style democracy could bring chaos to
Burma.

         "We are marching toward democracy, but there will be a
         big difference.  We believe if we are going to follow
         according to western democracy -- will they guarantee
         that our country will not be disintegrated?"

Aung San Suu Kyi dismisses the convention as an undemocratic
procedure that allows no dissenting or alternative views.

         "Let us leave alone political dialogue, they would not
         even dialogue about the working procedures of the
         national conventions within the national convention.  So
         it is not much of a convention.  It is just a paper
         reading ceremony."

Aung San Suu Kyi says she wants to see an inclusive, rather than
exclusive form of government in Burma.

         "We do not believe that central government can sit and
         say this is how we are going to resolve all our
         problems.  We have to talk, we believe in
         communications, we believe in talking to people and
         listening to their views and bringing them in.

then,  one of the main differences between SLORC and us is that
         we believe in including people, they believe in
         excluding people.  We think that as many people as
         possible should be included in the process of nation building."

Whatever document emerges from the convention, it is also clear
from government sources the military has no intention of giving a
role to Aung San Suu Kyi.

One provision in the draft,  resurrected from the 1948 constitution,
bars anyone from office  who has foreign obligations.  This explains the
government's continual barrage of criticism in the official media of Aung San
Suu Kyi's personal life.  She is married to a British citizen.

VOA: BURMA'S PR IMAGE PROBLEM
September 9, 1996

Rangoon -- for all the current world attention, Burma has not been a
spot high on the list of tourist destinations, few foreign
visitors have come here.  But times have changed, in November,
Burma will kick off a year-long promotion to lure foreign tourist
to the country.  Rangoon, Burma faces a severe image problem abroad.

Had Burma not lived in such international isolation for so long
the great Shawe Dagon Pagoda in Rangoon might well rival India's
Taj Mahal as a tourist spot.  The golden dome of the 26-hundred-year
old Buddhist shrine, which contains relics of the Buddha, towers nearly
100-meters over a vast park of tropical foliage, like a giant shining vale
rising out of the jungle.

Burma bills itself as the golden land because of the vast array
of exquisite golden pagodas and temples that dot its landscape.

Burma has pristine beaches, stunning mountain vistas, and ancient
archeological sites.  The air is clean and a Bangkok resident
would laugh at what is called a traffic jam in Rangoon.  It is in
fact virgin territory for the travel and tourism industry.

Millions of potential dollars ride on the question of whether the gold of
ancient pagodas will be overshadowed by the green of army uniforms.

The government is planning to inaugurate "Visit Myanmar Year" in
November.  Myanmar is the government's name for Burma.  It is
hoping to attract foreign currency from tourists, particularly
those from Asia.  The government is also trying to convince foreign
companies in the hospitality industry that Burma is the  place to invest.

But independent analyst say that could be an uphill battle for
the government.  Burma's image abroad, particularly in the west,
is a tarnished because of the country's poor human rights record.
Moreover, the government's nemesis, democracy activist Aung San
Suu Kyi, has called for an economic boycott of Burma and is
asking tourists and the travel industry to boycott "Visit Myanmar".

In an interview, a minister for hotels and tourism and a member
of the ruling State Law and Order Restoration Council, General
Kyaw Ba, dismisses the impact of a boycott.

He says tourist revenues were 80-million dollars last year and
predicts they will top 100-million dollars this year, with the
largest number of tourists coming from Japan.  But some
diplomatic analysts say those figures may be exaggerated.

In addition to the image question, Burma also faces severe
short-comings in what economists call infra-structure.
Western-style hotels are few, the telephone system and the
electric power supply -- especially outside Rangoon -- are often
unreliable.  Roads are of un-even quality and dining choices are limited.

General Kyaw Ba says improvements are being made to improve
facilities.  Some new hotels are going up and the historic
Rangoon hotel, the strand, underwent a multi-million dollar
renovation, although its 300-dollar a night rooms put it out of
the reach of most travelers.

General Kyaw Ba says hotel groups from Singapore, Thailand,
Malaysia, and Hong Kong are planning to build hotels in Burma.
He says one-fourth of foreign investment in Burma is in the hotel
industry.  But analysts say if occupancy rates of existing
facilities are low, potential investors could be scared off.

THE NATION: THAIS THREATEN FORCED EVICTION OF IMMIGRANTS
September 18, 1996

THAI fishermen from Ranong yesterday threatened to seal off  access to the
Andaman Sea and forcefully evict tens of thousands of Burmese immigrants
from the province unless the Burmese government ensures justice following
the recent killings of two Thai and three Burmese workers by the Burmese navy.

Fifteen fishermen traveled to Bangkok in a six-wheel truck with five empty
coffins and delivered their ultimatum to Sawat Palakawong, an adviser to
Foreign Minister Amnuay Viravan, at the ministry.

The fishermen, calling themselves the Andaman Human Rights Group, said they
had come to the capital after their petition and demand for justice from
local Thai and Burmese authorities had fallen on deaf ears. They first
called at the Burmese Embassy before moving on to the Foreign Ministry.

Two Thai fishing trawlers - Watheerungroj and R Chasamut - were attacked by
a Burmese naval vessel at 1 am on Aug 30, about two nautical miles to the
northwest of Khom Island in the Andaman Sea. Wit Khan-ngern, 39, was killed
and Anuwat Sea Ping, 31, was seriously wounded during the attack. Thanet
Changmek, 35, and three other Burmese were pronounced missing and presumed
dead after jumping over board into heavy seas. The Burmese naval officers
also seized the tow boats.

The trawlers' owners - Walee Buasawan and her husband  Viroj, who were on
board one of the boats and witnessed the incident - joined the group to
protest before the Burmese mission.

Prathan Letkajorn, the group's leader, told Sawat the Ranong fishermen have
decided to block off the Ranong Gulf in the Andaman Sea and drive out the
Burmese immigrants unless their demand for justice is met within five days.
They threatened to expel all Burmese males in three days and the remaining
women and children in a week.

Sawat urged the group to refrain from taking such harsh action and to give
Thai authorities 15 days to investigate the matter.

The ultimatum to expel the Burmese, most of  whom are working as cheap
laborers in provincial fishing and mining industries, is the most serious
threat since relations between Thailand and Burma soured following the
murders in August of last year of several Burmese workers aboard a Thai boat
by their Thai -workers.

Although Prathan claimed the two Thai boats were anchored in Thai waters
when the attack took place, informed sources say the scene of the incident
was located within disputed marine territory between Thailand and Burma.

The trawler owners claimed the two boats already received authorization from
the Thai navy to anchor at the site. (TN)

BKK POST: KAREN REFUGEES TO BE BETTER PROTECTED
September 18, 1996
Supamart Kasem

Security for Karen refugees in Tak has been stepped up since Burmese troops
and the Rangoon-backed Democratic Karen Buddhist Army threatened to attack
refugee camps, according to a border military source.

Thai officials and representatives of NGOs worked out measures to protect
Karen refugees at a meeting chaired by 4th Division Task Force Commander Col.
Suvit Maenmuen in Mae Sot yesterday.

Taking part in the meeting were officials, military officers, Border patrol
Police and rangers from Tha Song Yang, Mae Ramat, Mae Sot, Phop Phra and
Umphang districts and staff of the Karen Refugee Committee, Burmese Border
Consortium and Doctors Without Borders.

Col Suvit said that although all concerned agencies were prepared to deal
with the situation, they could not enforce security measures efficiently
because many Karen refugees frequently ventured out of the camps.

"From now on, the KRC and Thai officials in these areas will be asked to
bring all refugees outside back to the camps," said the commander.

He said the officials were making identification cards for all Karens so
that camp staff could check the number of refugees more easily, adding that
the issuance of ID cards for more than 8,000 refugees at Sho Klo Camp had
been completed.

According to the measures, refugees are required to follow Thai laws
strictly and are forbidden to leave the camps at night and move to other
districts. NGO staff are asked not to approach the Thai-Burmese border or
leave Thailand without protection.

Hundreds of Karen refugees have fled from a camp at Don Pa King in Mae
Ramat since the DKBA threatened to set fire to the camp unless all refugee
returned to Burma.

THE NATION: JAL TIES UP WITH MYANMAR AIRWAYS
September 18, 1996

TOKYO - Japan Airlines Co (JAL), the country's largest airline, has formed a
tie-up with Myanmar Airways International, a JAL spokesman said yesterday.

The tie-up is aimed at smoothing transit procedures for JAL passengers flying
from Japan to Rangoon through Bangkok, a JAL spokesman said.

Currently, JAL operates flight between Japan and Bangkok, and Myanmar
Airways flies between Bangkok and Rangoon.

Under, the tie up, Myanmar Airways will also send some flight attendants to
JAL for training. Under an aviation agreement between Japan and Burma, Japan
is allowed to operate three direct flights a week between Japan and Burma,
but JAL rival All Nippon Airways Co has the aviation rights to all three
flights.

The JAL spokesman said it remains undecided what other business will come
out regarding Burma. But the latest accord is aimed at laying the groundwork
for future business opportunities, he said.

Japan Airlines Co is Japan's largest airline. It has ties up with Deutsche
Lufthansa AG in developing networks and technical exchanges. (TN)