From Paris: The Economist, Editoria

Subject: From Paris: The Economist, Editorial Burma & Story

>From EuroBurmanet, grace de Keith Hudson <ac972@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> for
scanning.
Editorial and article, be sure to email Economist, To the Editors, for
you comments and opinion (thats also why they publish what they do).
i only have their URL handy, you can find email on their web
http://www.economist.com

please send us your comments too!

Metta, thank you, peace, happiness and long life. Virtually yours,
Dawn Star  (Paris)  <cd@xxxxxxx>

Burmanet / TOTAL Coordinator (France)
Euro-Burmanet  (Paris, France)
Free Burma Coalition
http://wicip.org/fbc/

NCGUB
815 Fifteenth Street NW
 Suite 910
Washington, DC 20005
<ncgub@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Democratic Voice of Burma (DVB)
P.O Box 6720
ST.Olavs Plass
0130 Oslo, Norway
Tel: 47-22-200021, Tel/fax:47-22-362525

Norway NCGUB you must make e-mail address to
level one (1)maung@xxxxxxxxxxx (the PM office e-mail)
level two (2)NCGUB Europe, U Nwe Aung
	     e-mail <101564.2652@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

All members of the House can be reached through the Congressional
Switchboard, at (202) 224-3121.
While some members have E-mail, electronic communication is not as
effective as a
telephone call or fax.

President William Clinton
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington DC 20500
(202) 456-1414

Warren Christopher
Secretary of State
Department of State
2201 C. Street NW
Washington DC 20520
(202) 647-4000

National Security Advisor Anthony Lake
National Security Council
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington DC 20500
(202) 456-9481

http://www-uvi.eunet.fr/
http://www-uvi.eunet.fr/asia/euro-burma/

Your  pass into the following sites, and much more.

http://www-uvi.eunet.fr/asia/euro-burma/nld/
http://www-uvi.eunet.fr/asia/euro-burma/daask/
http://www-uvi.eunet.fr/asia/euro-burma/total
http://www-uvi.eunet.fr/asia/euro-burma/pepsi/

Help support our effort. Write now, to :

Mrs. Emma BONINO
EC HUMANITARIAN OFFICE

The European Commission
Directorate General 1B
External Relations
(Directorate 1B, D, Division 3)
Rue de la Lois/Westraat 200
B-1049 Brussels
Belgium

EC Humanitarian Office Website : http://europa.eu.int/en/comm/echo/echo
Fax:32-2-299-1047

Join the Free Burma Coalition. Call 608-256-6572 or email:
zni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
TOTAL WORLDWIDE BOYCOTT TOTAL WORLDWIDE BOYCOTT TOTAL WORLDWIDE BOYCOTT
http://www-uvi.eunet.fr/asia/euro-burma/total/
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Help support  the TOTAL WORLDWIDE BOYCOTT by donating funds to
EURO-BURMANET: Email cd@xxxxxxx

Send letters and cut-up UNOCAL / TEXACO / ARCO / TOTAL charge cards to:

Roger Beach, CEO
Unocal Corporation
2141 Rosecrans Blvd., Suite 4000 / El
Segundo, CA 90245
Tel: 310-726-7600

Gary Jones, CEO
Total North America
Total Tower, 900 19th Street
Denver,
CO 80202
Tel: 303-291-2000

Send your letters now :

TOTAL  SA
Thierry Desmarest, CEO, President of Exploration and Production,
HQ: 24 Cours Michelet 92800 Puteaux France
Tel: 33-1-41-35-40-00  Fax: 33-1-41-35-64-65

E-mail :
Paris France,  : <hourcard@xxxxxxxxx>
New York City  <TOTALNYC@xxxxxxx> , <roberth@xxxxxxxxx>

All members of the US House of Representatives can be reached through
the Congressional Switchboard, at (202) 224-3121

While some members have E-mail, electronic communication is not as
effective as a
telephone call or fax. Sent a letter, mark Free Burma Now, on the
envelop. Its effective.

> [...]

> generals' mental processes.
>
>         Thus, when the junta's spokesmen met the press on October 1st, they were
> able to contradict themselves without, apparently, noticing.  On the one
> hand, they argued, the SLORC has brought Myanmar peace, stability and the
> hope of prosperity, earning the loyalty of its people.  On the other hand,
> stability is so fragile that a meeting of a few hundred of its opponents
> might plunge the country into bloodshed.  Similarly, the SLORC is working
> hard to establish multi-party democracy; but there is no need for any
> "opposition group".  Or again, the opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi is
> "free to go where she wants"; but no, reporters may not cross the blockade
> now mounted by soldiers at the end of her street. (In practice, she has had
> to sneak out to meet them.)
>
>         The soldiers took up positions on the night of September 26th to stop
> members of Miss Suu Kyi's party, the National League for Democracy (NLD),
> attending a meeting at her house.  The junta has acknowledged that it locked
> up 159 peoplc who wanted to attend and that another 414 activists were taken
> from their beds and into custody on the night of September 27th. Iit said
> that 163 detainees had been freed by October 2nd. Miss Suu Kyi has spoken of
> over 800 supporters being arrested, and many people not directly connected
> to her party appear to have been picked up recently in sweeps in the
> capital.  The NLD's headquarters were closed down, supposedly at the behest
> of the party's landlord.  Telephone lines to Miss Suu Kyi and her most
> senior lieutenants were out of order.  Taxi drivers were loth to go near
> their houses, scared that their registration numbers would be noted, and
> they would receive a knock on the door in the small hours.
>
>         The blockade of Miss Suu Kyi's house was supposed to last until September
> 30th, by when the planned meeting would have been over.  But the soldiers
> stayed put.  It seems the junta has decided to stop Miss Suu Kyi's weekly
> speeches over her garden gate to the crowds who gather outside.  That would
> close the only access she has had to ordinary people since her "release"
> from six years of house arrest injuly 1995.
>
>         Clearly Miss Suu Kyi can still frighten the SLORC into what looks like a
> paranoid over-reaction.  But, according to its own pronouncements, the SLORC
> has plenty to be paranoid about. It has fretted about divisions in the armed
> forces and accused the NLD of sowing dissension among the large and
> influential Buddhist monkhood.  It seems worried about the durability of the
> ceasefire agreements it has signed with 16 rebel ethnic groups in the border
> areas. And it knows that, in elections it arranged in 1990 and then ignored,
> the people of Myanmar unambiguously chose the NLD.
>
>         It also sees itself as a victim of a conspiracy by foreigners, especially  from the United States.  Official newspapers have produced
detailed lists of  all of Miss Suu Kyi's numerous encounters with
foreign diplomats.  The