Joint Statement of Democratic Exile

Subject: Joint Statement of Democratic Exiles

Joint Statement of Democratic Exiles on Current Political Situation in Burma

	October 3, 1996

	In solidarity with each other, we, the members of democratic exile
groups..National Coalition Government of Union of Burma, Burma Action
Committee, Burma Canada Society, Burma Project (Berlin, Germany and Prague,
Czech Republic), Chin National Council, Committee for Restoration of
Democracy in Burma, Democratic Burmese Students Organization, Foundation for
Democracy in Burma, National League for Democracy (Liberated Area), National
League for Democracy (Liberated Area-Women), United Front for Democracy and
Human Rights in Burma and United States of Burma Relief Fund Committee
express our grave concern over the present political turmoil in Burma and  a
recrudescence of major crack-down on the democratic forces.  We strongly
condemn the current military repressions, in which about 800 members and
supporters of National League for Democracy (NLD), led by Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi, the 1991 Nobel peace laureate, have been arrested and barred from
attempting to promote democratic change in the country.  NLD had a plan to
hold the "All Burma Party Congress" from September 27 to 29.  Burmese
military regime, also known as State Law and Order Restoration Council
(Slorc), prevented the planned NLD congress from going into action.

 	Burmese military junta closed off access to the residence of Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi as a part of its strategic suppression of a legitimate political
party, which won over 80 per cent of parliamentary seats in the 1990 general
election and was prevented from taking power.  For the first time since her
release from six years of house arrest, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi has been barred
from making her regular weekend address.

	We strongly support the struggle for democracy and human rights in Burma and
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi in the face of brutal repressions of Slorc.
 International community, led by the United States and other western
countries, also sincerely supports Burma?s democracy movements.  On October
3, the President of the United States signed a proclamation to suspend the
entry into the United States as immigrants and non-immigrants of persons who
formulate,  implement, or benefit from policies that impede the transition to
democracy in Burma, and immediate family members of such persons.  The
Proclamation is a major step to take stronger actions against Burmese
military rulers.  We believe that the Administration should take more
stronger actions and urge President Clinton to implement the sanction bill as
immediately as possible.

	We strongly urge Slorc to stop its repressions in Burma.  We call for the
immediate revocation of restrictions on Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and NLD, and
unconditional release of all political detainees.

National Coalition Government of Union of Burma
Burma Action Committee
Burma Canada Society
Burma Project (Berlin, Germany and Prague, Czech Republic)
Chin National Council
Committee for Restoration of Democracy in Burma
Democratic Burmese Students Organization
Foundation for Democracy in Burma
National League for Democracy (Liberated Area)
National League for Democracy (Liberated Area-Women)
United Front for Democracy and Human Rights in Burma
United States of Burma Relief Fund Committee

          #  #  #