A/51/466: REPORT OF SPECIAL RAPPORT (r)

Subject: Re: A/51/466: REPORT OF SPECIAL RAPPORTEUR FOR HUMAN RIGHTS IN MYANMAR

Hello-
My name is Cathy Bedrick and I am a business student at Indiana
University.  I am studying business communication in other countries and
was hoping that some of you may be able to give me some insight into
Burma's business world.  So far, mainly through the Internet, I have been
able to find a lot of good information both about the political as well
as historical sides of Burma.  I am having problems though finding out
about the unwritten rules of the society.  I am trying to find out basic
cultural rules in the business world such as the role of women in
business.  Are women are strong part of the working world?  If so, are
they mainly restricted to secretarial, general labor, and other
stereotypical roles or do they play a part in management?

The other topic I had problems finding information on was the social side
of business.  Such things as dining and drinking customs in business
situations as well as the affect of holidays on businesses play an
important part in truly understanding the business environment of a country.

Any direct information or other sources that I could turn to for such
information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

Cathy Bedrick