President Clinton speak out

>From- DVB  SYDNEY

			SLORC  to  be  pressured

President Bill Clinton urged Australia to put pressure on the SLORC military
regime for political reforms. Below is the excerpt from the President's speech
to the joint sitting of the Australian Parliament, on the 20 November 1996.

" We can take the fight to the terrorists and the drug traffickers. We can
extend the reach of free and fair trade. We can advance democracy around the
world."

"As we deal with these challenges to our security we must recognize the new
ones which are emerging and the new approaches they require. Terrorism,
international crime and drug trafficking are forces of destruction that have
no tolerance for national borders. Together we must show zero tolerance for
them. That means putting pressure on rogue States, not doing business with
them."

"The third part of our work for stability is support for the democracy. Our
two nations know that democracy comes in many forms. Neither of us seeks to
impose our own vision on others, but we also share the conviction that some
basic rights are universal."

"In this century we have sacrificed many of our sons and daughters, your
nations and ours, for the cause of  freedom.  And so we must continue to speak
for the cause of freedom in this new age of commerce and trade and technology.
We must push repressive regimes in places like Burma   to pursue
reconciliation and genuine dialogue."

[The Sydney Morning Herald,  21 November 1996.]