Statement (r)

UNDC
UNITED NATIONALITIES' DEMOCRATIC CONGRESS
{WESTERN BURMA}
declaration
We solemnly believe that in our struggle to get rid of colonialisam and
despotisam, to restore
equality and democracy and to establish genuine Federal Union in Burma,
only when we cooperate with a spirit of solidarity, will there be success.
Therefore, whith the aspiration to build up mutual understanding and
respect through fraternity and alliance among our frontier nations,
UNITED NATIONALITIES' DEMOCRATIC CONGRESS(undc)
(WESTERN BURMA)
was founded on 29th November, 1996. The organisations comprised in this
congress are:
(1) Arakan League for Democracy(in Exile), A.L.D(Exile)
(2)Chin National Council(C.N.C)(Delhi Chapter)
(3)All Burma Young Monks' Union(Arakan),ABYMU(Arakan)
(4)Arakan, Chin and Kachin Students' Joint Committee(AASYC, CSU, AKSYU)
The congress was forned  by the 16 representatives of the aforesaid
organisations.
Patron   :        :  U Tha  Noe (M.P), A.L.D
             :         :  Dr Zahleithang(M.P), C.N.L.D

Speaker :         ;Salai Vankipthang(C.N.C

Secretariat :     : Aung Lawt (Students' Joint Committee)      Chief
Secretary
                       :Salai William Bik
(C.N.C)                            Secretary, External
Affairs
                       :U Kyaw Thein Maung (A.L.D)
Secretary, Finance
                       :Rev. Sandawara(ABYMU-Arakan)
Secretary, Health & Education
                       :Salai Lallianthara(Students' Joint
Committee)Secretary,Information &Publicity
                       :Khaing Myo Swe(students' Joint
Committee)Secreyary.Social Welfare

Daetd. 29th November, 1996                     United Nationalities'
Democratic Congress
                                                                              ( Western Burma)

UNDC
UNTED NATIONALITIES  DEMCRATIC  CONGRESS
(WESTERN BURMA)
PRESS RELEASE
It has been over eight years that the military regime, namely State Law
and Order Restoration
Council(SLORC),is in power in Burma. The army led by General Saw Maung
and then General Than Shwe has staged a bloody coup to crack-down the
nation-wide people's uprising
in the country since 1988.
We, the UNDC strongly condemn that the latest arrest of the university
students' demonstration  at Rangoon on 2nd and 3rd December, 1996.
The UNDC resolutely:
1.     CONDEMN the ruling militray junta for denial of human right and
for its holding
        state power without the mandate of the people.
2.      EXPRESS our whole-hearted support and solidarity to the
university students and
         youth who were being waged a continuous struggle for democratic
changes in Burma.
3.      DEMAND for immediate and unconditional release of the students
who have
         been detained passed three days.
4.       DEMAND the tyrant junta to release all political prisoners
including student
          leaders and to make necessary steps for the immediate transfer
of power to the
          elected colourful representatives of 1990 elections.
5.       URGE the SLORC to accept Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's offer of
dialogue to solve
          the country's problems on the table soon.
6.       remind the SLORC of the repeated call for tripartite dialogue
between SLORC;
          Aung San Suu Kyi's NLD and the leaders of Nationalities. And
peace loving
          people of intemational to help the democracy activists in their
struggle for
          democracy tum in Burma.

      United Nationalities Democratic Congress
       (Western Burma)
        New Delhi, India