Nobel Winner: Boycott Burma.

	Nobel Winner: Boycott Burma
	***************************

RANGOON, Burma (AP) -- Aung San Suu Kyi's
family will protest the military regime's
tourism campaign by not visiting her in Burma
for Christmas, the pro-democracy leader said
Thursday.

The military government, which renamed the
country Myanmar, has covered the capital with
posters advertising ``Visit Myanmar Year '96.''

Despite its name, the campaign didn't begin
until last month, and is to continue through
November 1997. State-run media said this week
that Burma aims to have 300,000 visitors
by then -- well below targets announced
earlier.

Suu Kyi, winner of the 1991 Nobel Peace Prize,
has called on tourists to boycott Burma to
protest the regime, which seized power in 1988
by killing hundreds of demonstrators.

On Thursday, she told The Associated Press her
family will stay away.

``We've decided not to support Visit Myanmar
Year, and I don't want them coming during
Visit Myanmar Year,'' she said in a telephone
interview.

Suu Kyi is married to Briton Michael Aris, an
Oxford professor. The couple have two sons.

Aris and one son visited her last Christmas,
the first since Suu Kyi was freed from house
arrest in July 1995.

Burma's capital has been racked by protests in
the last week. Security forces have blocked
off a 4-square-mile area in the capital, and
the city's second most important religious site,
the Sule Pagoda, has been closed.

[Associated Press, 12 December 1996].