Reply to Reply on BURMA LOSES EU

Subject: Reply to Reply on  BURMA  LOSES EU PRIVILEGES

Kris Dekker from KWIA wrote:

>I'm very happy to read AFP considers the approval of the Commission's
>decision as a formality. Hopefully they are right. I'm in doubt however
>whether we can be that sure the council of ministers will ratify the
>suspension of GSP. Especially the role of France is unclear. The council of
>ministers takes decisions on the base of consensus. So France can use its
>veto.

That last remerk might be  wrong: according to the EC, France will not be
able to use its veto. This GSP-advise to the council of ministers will be
voted on - and the council of ministers needs a normal majority. We are
currently finding out whether it is the council of ministers of Foreign
Affairs, or the council of ministers of Finance (that is what Reuters said
in their message, to the surprise of a MEP contacted on this). Also, we are
trying to find out whether the vote is in January or February.
The EP miught want to put the GSP in the Parliament preceding the vote, to
put pressure on the CoM if needed. According to ICFTU the vote should not be
too much of a hassle.

If you want more information - do not hesitate to contact us
Regards

Gijs Hillenius
BCN
BCN is onafhankelijke stichting. Doel: Nederlandse samenleving informeren
over Burma. Het initieert en co-ordineert aktiviteiten die democratisering
en duurzame ontwikkeling bevorderen. Het geeft een positieve bijdrage aan
een constructieve dialoog tussen de diverse groeperingen.

BCN
Paulus Potterstraat 20
1071 DA AMSTERDAM
THE NETHERLANDS
(31)20-6716952 (tel)
(31)20-6713513 (fax)

LIST OF BURMA WEB RESOURCES

Just remember one website:

http://FreeBurma.org

This single page serves only as an easy to remember URL and departure
point to resources promoting the establishment of democracy in Burma.