Biggest Ever Rally In Australia

Independence Day Rally in Australia

At 12:00 noon on 4 January, 1997, Burma?s Independence Day, more than
350 Burmese living in Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, Adelaide and
Brisbane, Australia, gathered and staged a rally in front of SLORC?s
embassy in Canberra. This time around, the activitists had four main
objectives in mind regarding the rally on our nation?s Independence
Day.  They are as follows:-

1. To commemorate the ?first independence? of our motherland from the
yoke of colonial rule whilst bearing in mind that we still have to
strive for our ?second independence? from the brutal military
dictatorship as heralded by our leader Daw Aung San Suu Kyi;

2. To condemn the continued crackdown on scores of elected
representatives and other pro-democracy activists;

3. To render our warmest support to the students who have recently
spearheaded a series of remarkable protests in Rangoon and other places
calling for students' rights and return to democracy;

4. To urge the international community and, in particular, the
Australian Government to implement decisive and effective measures,
including economic sanctions, against the illegitimate junta.

[There was no reception at the SLORC Embassy in Canberra to mark the
Independence Day as in the past years.]